Anxiety Community
23k Members

Paroxetine (paxil) and Buspirone (Buspar)

Hey Guys,

I was wondering about the medications I am taking. I am currently on 20mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) once a day and 10mg of Buspirone (Buspar) twice a day. I am also on Nexium and Amoxicillin (3 more days). I have been taking my pills like this:

Morning/Breakfast: Paroxetine, Buspirone, and Amoxicillin

Lunch: Nexium

Dinner: Buspirone and Amoxicillin.

I read today that both Paxil and Peroxetine taken together could cause problems. I have read otherwise somewhere else. After I read this I felt extremely dizzy and faint feeling. I cannot even stand up without feeling weird. I have been taking this medication like this for a couple of weeks. I assume I am having an anxiety attack, but I am afraid that if I fall asleep I will not wake up. Can someone please shed some light on this for ASAP?

Thanks.
I'm confused at your question as Paroxetine and Paxil are the same?
I just realized my mistake. I meant to say paroxetine and buspirone. My apologies.
How long have you been taking these medications.  There are start up side effects associated with paroxetine that go away once your system is used to the medication.  Some doctors will start with 10 mg of paxil/paroxetine and titrate up to 20 after a week or so.  
I have been on Paroxetine for 10 years on and off and whenever I have a question about any medications that I can safely take I call the pharmacist and they are good about answering my guestions.Good luck!!
It will be 3 weeks this saturday. I have been feeling relatively good for the last few days in fact. I did have a lot of side effects in the beginning week. This was a different feeling though. I felt out of control. I felt like passing out and that I couldn't stand up. I was really tired too. My doc immediately prescribed me 20mg of Paroxetine and 10mg of Buspirone. He wanted to up my dosage to 25mg of Paroxetine and 15mg of Buspirone. I didn't want this however because I know there are some withdrawal problems with paxil. I'm just worried about taking these two medications together. Thanks.
I would talk to your pharmacist or doctor about the combination of paxil and buspar. Perhaps you can time when you are taking them better.  As far as withdrawel, that is easily remedied with all ssri's.  You titrate back down.  If you were on 25 mg, you'd cut back by 5 or 10 mg over the course of a few weeks.  With all ssri's---- never stop cold turkey.  (but there isn't a big difference in 20 mg of paxil vs 25 . . .)  I think 20 mg is the usual dose of paxil, however.