A
A
A
Close
Anxiety Community
23.1k Members
648798 tn?1224654186

Paxil and Zoloft

I am a 46 year old male and have had anxiety most of my life. I have never really wanted to take any prescription drugs due to the side effects causing me to have more anxiety. After so many years, I finally decided I want finger nails again, considering I chew them off down to the quick and I am so tired of having all this anxiety and being so nervous 24/7. So I started taking 20 mg. of Paxil 1 week ago and on the 6th day, yesterday; Sat., I started having bad side effects: diarrhea, sweating, hot flashes, anxiety, nervousness, nausea, electric shocks in my head, trouble sleeping and just an over-all uneasy and uncomfortable feeling. My father is 71 years old and is on Zoloft and has been taking it for years and I am considering switching to Zoloft, overnight, hopefully starting tonight. My father also said the only side effect he had when he started taking the Zoloft, was a dry mouth. Although, I am very aware that everyone is different and sometimes do not have the same side effects as others. My pharmacist told to skip last night's dose of Paxil which I did, but he said only skip just 1. Honestly, if I am going to feel this way and have all these side effects from taking Paxil, I do not want to continue taking it, at all whatsoever. Would you? After this is posted, I am going to my local Walk-In Care Clinic to see their Doctor and ask him if I should swtich to Zoloft, starting tonight. Any suggestions OR recommendations from any one who has experienced what I just experienced? Thank you for your feed back!
1 Responses
Your best bet is to go to the clinic.

Switching meds really should be addressed by a doctor.

Remember what is good for one may not be good for another...but with the side effects you are getting...they can be very bothersome. some are not as bad as others..depends on the individual.

Best to you
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?