Anxiety Community
23k Members

Prozac causes anger

Hello
I've been taking Prozac for three weeks now and today I had a huge breakdown . My sister annoyed me and I got really angry and I started to scream and cry and got very confused .
It had never happened to me before , I had never screamed like that , I felt like there was a storm in my body .
The psychiatrist told me before I started to use Prozac that it may make me feel angry , because it means that the depression is leaving the body .
I thought perhaps someone could tell me if such an anger is common while using Prozac .  
Prozac affects different people in different ways.  Unfortunately, it was the worse drug I ever took.  It made me very ill.  No I did not get angry, just on the move all the time.  Bad runny tummy, the jitters.  I ran around all day crying.  could not keep still.  Worse me out.  I had to stop it as making me very ill indeed.  

I have never heard it said that anger is depression leaving the body.  Although the Prozac did not make me angry, perhaps other people may have experienced that.  I know with other anti depressants I did get side effects.  I think the only one that did cause aggression in me was one of the early anti depressants, and I stopped that as soon as I knew what it was doing to me.  

Oh I hope you're feeling better now , thank you anyway :)
I agree with Maddie.....medications can affect people differently, and one of the possible effects of these kinds of medications can be anger, irritability, mood swings.  The fact that you're 16 makes those things more likely.  Often times, these medications have kind of an opposite effect on younger adults and teens than they do on adults, which is why there must be caution when putting a young person on an antidepressant.

I have to say that I'd urge you to find a new doctor.  The "depression leaving the body" as an explanation for your anger is ridiculous.  Is he your family doctor?  You really need to seek out a child/adolescent psychiatrist for medication management, as treatment with medications in young people is tricky business with a lot of special considerations.

Very best to you hon, please let us know how you're doing!
I've been taking prozac for 2 months , the first month I was on 2 (10 mg) capsules for a month then he hoped it to 1 (40mg) prozac so I check with him this month but I haven't had any side effects but I know getting off and switching takes time If youthink prozac isn't working and making you feel they way I would ask your doctor about  another anti depressant, I have heard good and bad things personally but I feel fine on it . hope you find what works !
This side effect is right on the warnings that came with the medication.  It's said to be more common with young people than older, but there's no real proof this is true, they just follow young people more closely than they do adults.  Nursegirl is right, you need a different doctor -- if that comment is accurate you're not in the best hands.  This is one of the side effects that is most emphasized as one to mention to your prescriber.