Anxiety Community
23k Members

Psychiatric Prescription

I was diagnosed as hyperthyroid and with medications I am now clinically euthyroid. But I used to get panic attacks in form of tachycardia and palpitations. I have been taking Propranolol for last 3 months and have tapered it off to 5 mg 2 times a day. Because of the persistent symptoms of panic attacks, my endocrinologist referred me to a psychiatrist. She diagnosed me as having Mixed Anxiety Depression. She prescribed me:
25 mg Sertraline - Once in a day
0.25 mg Clonazepam - Twice in a day

She also asked me to continue with Propranolol like I did. Also, I am taking 30 mg Carbimazole.

I have not yet started with the new psychiatrist prescriptions as I am getting worried. I read Sertraline reacts with Propranolol. It makes Propranolol more toxic and can give me low BP and bradycardia. Recently my BP was a bit high (140/90) and pulse rate was 72.

Shall I take the psychiatric medicines and how should I schedule the medications without suffering a lot?
I have taken Propanolol and Effexor for a couple of years with no issues.  I don't take the Propanolol for anxiety but for a tremor in my hand.  Propanolol is used as an anxiety medication, cluster headaches, high BP and tremors like mine.  I have taken it with just about every antidepressant out there with no issues.  At one time I also took a BP medication with it due to high BP and with no problems.  Although with lifestyle changes I was able to get off of the BP medication.  Pharamcists will not fill a presciption that will interact with the other, they will call your doctor.  You can call your pharmacist and ask him about the two medications, they are most knowlegeable when it comes to drug interactions. Always take your meds as prescribed. Take care.