Racing or Pounding heartbeat while eating

When i ingest food and swallow my heart races and pounds in my throat. It is stopping me from eating and im losing weight because of it. Its very scary and frustrating, is this the result of anxiety or is it something else? I am NOT allergic to any of the things I am eating and it is not a hypoglycemic issue.

Anyone else going through this, anyone find a solution?

thanks
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
how exactly do they check / test for a vagus nerve problem? and how do they adjust it?

thanks,
-b-
Helpful - 0
Have your vagus nerve checked out.  I've experienced that and had it adjusted.
Helpful - 0
I do not get nervous at all when I eat. This does not happen every single time i eat. It happens maybe 40% of the time. For example, yesterday I just ate a single piece of fried chicken, and as soon as i chewed and swallowed the first bite my heart rate increased and I could feel it pounding in my throat which caused a VERY uncomfortable feeling. Its as if my metabolism is so fast that as soon as my body has some food in it , it wants to get rid of it and process it out ASAP.

On the time i dont have this heart issue when eating,. I get HORRIBLY bloated from decent size meals to the point where i can feel my stomach pushing up on my diaphragm which causes difficulty breathing.

I was once misdiagnosed for having acid reflux and i had a scope done and the dr that did the scope told me that i did not have acid reflux. I know the pills i was taking were called PPI pills which basically kill the stomach acid, I have read sumwhere that with long term use stomach acid levels go very low and food becomes hard to digest. I think that is what may have happened to me as i was taking those pills for like 60 days 2 x a day , which from what ive been reading, is way too much.  I know this is an anxiety forum but perhaps sumone knows how to re-balance my acid production so its at an adequate amount in my stomach?

thanks.
Helpful - 0
Do you get nervous when you eat?  I ask this because anxiety can cause all sorts of symptoms and can really throw us for a loop with normal everyday tasks.  Also, remember, that when we eat a meal digestion takes energy which equals a faster heart rate.  My heart races after a big meal, especially after going out to dinner (I like a big meal now and then).  For me, the larger the meal, the faster the pulse...which is normal.  Have you discussed this with your doctor?  Alcohol and caffeine can also play a big roll in this.   In my experience, we also tend to focus on what bothers us the most.  I bet your heart did the same thing before you started worrying about it....what has changed is how you PERCEIVE it.  I am not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be and this is just my opinion, but if you have been cleared medically maybe it is time to go talk to someone about the anxiety if you have not already...keep us posted!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Anxiety Community