Anxiety Community

Scared of taking klonopin for sleep

My doctor put me on zoloft 2 days ago. Many of the sleep meds I've tried don't help me. I've had to do .25 klonopin to go to sleep. I feel starting the zoloft has given me wakefulness.  So I called my doctor this morning and she wants me to do .5 or 1mg klonopin every night at bedtime for the next 2 weeks. I'm scared if taking a benzos like this. I'm afraid of withdrawal  symptoms
Just two weeks probably won't be that hard to deal with, though everyone is different.  But you seem to be saying you're already taking klonopin -- do I have that right?  Because if you're already taking it every day for sleep, not a great use of a benzo, you're already facing the withdrawal problem.  But since the Zoloft hasn't kicked in yet, only the side effects have -- it will take 4-6 weeks to know if the Zoloft is going to work or not and this side effect may go away (or it might not, in case you'll probably need to do a different antidepressant) -- if you can handle a little discomfort for a short period of time you don't "need" the benzo, it just might be nice.  There are also a lot of other ways to help one sleep -- increased exercise, meditation, relaxation exercises such as deep breathing, melatonin, chamomile tea, valerian root (though if you are regularly taking klonopin these natural relaxants are probably not a great idea as they target GABA too) -- in other words, there are a lot of things in this world that might help you sleep better that aren't as strong on the brain as a benzo.  Good luck.