Aa
A
A
A
Close
Anxiety Community
23.2k Members

Scared of taking klonopin for sleep

My doctor put me on zoloft 2 days ago. Many of the sleep meds I've tried don't help me. I've had to do .25 klonopin to go to sleep. I feel starting the zoloft has given me wakefulness.  So I called my doctor this morning and she wants me to do .5 or 1mg klonopin every night at bedtime for the next 2 weeks. I'm scared if taking a benzos like this. I'm afraid of withdrawal  symptoms
1 Responses
Just two weeks probably won't be that hard to deal with, though everyone is different.  But you seem to be saying you're already taking klonopin -- do I have that right?  Because if you're already taking it every day for sleep, not a great use of a benzo, you're already facing the withdrawal problem.  But since the Zoloft hasn't kicked in yet, only the side effects have -- it will take 4-6 weeks to know if the Zoloft is going to work or not and this side effect may go away (or it might not, in case you'll probably need to do a different antidepressant) -- if you can handle a little discomfort for a short period of time you don't "need" the benzo, it just might be nice.  There are also a lot of other ways to help one sleep -- increased exercise, meditation, relaxation exercises such as deep breathing, melatonin, chamomile tea, valerian root (though if you are regularly taking klonopin these natural relaxants are probably not a great idea as they target GABA too) -- in other words, there are a lot of things in this world that might help you sleep better that aren't as strong on the brain as a benzo.  Good luck.
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1595629445
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?