Anxiety Community
23k Members

Severe heath anxiety....Need Help

I hope someone can help... I cant stop this overwhelming fear of dying... or getting some deadly diease!! every since last jan when I had thyroid surgery for a suspicious nodule and had half the thyroid removed and having to face a possible fear of cancer... I have not been the same since...... just b4 my surgery I was so afraid of having cancer I started making myself ill. After the call I was fine  I was so happy... and then I started feeling depression settling in and I could not figure out why? I should be so happy! it has been down hill from there every day I fear of being Ill , all my glands feel like they swell  up and down , I had my complete bloodwork done 3 weeks ago and it came back fine, yet I still feel like I am falling apart and fear that I have a deady diease. I have nightmares about dying.... I dont want to leave my kids or husband... .I feel like my mind is my own worst enemy! PLEASE does anyone have this feeling  or no what I can ask my docs to do!!! if my bloodwork was good could I still be deady ill??? or I am really making my body do this. I leave in such internal turmoil everyday! I probaly sound nutty ..I just need some help, I cant keep going on like this!~ I cry every day when no one is around...PLEASE does anyone have any advice? God Bless
your not alone. i constantly have the fear of having a heart attack. it sux. everytime i dont feel good i think im gonna die or something. i took lexapro for 3 months a couple years ago and i was fine but there are so many side eefects that i dont want to take it. your def not alone. i just try to tell myself to stop thinking that way and i try to laugh it off. the doctor that prescribed me the meds said" usually what your afraid of the most isnt gonna happen" its just anxiety and mine started from the very first panic attack i had. i thought i was having a heart attack and thats how mine got started
The story sounds so familiar.  My first panic attack, which I thought was a heart attack, started me on this horrible anxiety ride.  That was 18 months ago and I can't seem to shake it.  I've been to the many, many docs and even the Mayo Clinic for help.  All my tests are clear.  I used to think that it couldn't be anxiety because I had no anxiety, stress or hardships in my life.  I would hear that a divorce, a death or abuse could all cause anxiety to come on.  I had none of those, just a pain that I thought was heart related that went into a full on panic attack.  Everyday I feel something.  Everyday a pain or thought or SOMETHING scares me and I think I'm not going to make it.  It is bad again right now.  It is a horrible feeling and I wish it would go away.   I was in a store this afternoon feeling like it was a decent day when bam....it was like someone started a motor and now I have this "humming" in my chest.  I get these feelings of weakness, a warmth that spreads down my body and the feelings in my head like "this is it, this is the one".  Scary, scary, scary.  I am desperately looking for a therapist and hope that is what it will take to get me back on track.  

I hope you both get better too.  We aren't alone and it's nice to come here and be reassured of that!

Best wishes.
yes is the worst, I've gone ill 3 months ago because of HEP A while travelling to SE Asia, since then things gone bad & all drs says that my liver function is not the same because of HEP A effect on liver & that it takes time to heal. I kept researching to try to find out what killer disease that I have & started to worry about all cancers etc...

My symptoms started to get worse to every part of my body & it is still getting worse, I tried to get help thru meds & I was given cipramil & ended up making me feel more depressed & more anxious.

I think for some time, I & everyone who has health anxiety need to sit back & try .....I'm saying try......to understand that fact that we don't really need a killer master disease to die....we could simply die from a car accident or even by getting hit by thunder.

We need to "try" to understand that death is the only essential rule of the game of life & regardless of how much time & effort we try to worry about it or try to avoid it, it will have to happen at some time & there's no way on earth we will avoid death or try to prevent it. we just need to be logical in our worry about it & not let fear ruin our lifes that we're scared of not being able to live them.

I'm taking the advise of someone who posted on Friday & F**K it for a bit. I will "try" to enjoy my life whether I'm healthy or not & whether I'm going to die tomorrow or in 100 years!

Hard task guys, but must look back at your life if ever you had nice, happy, beautiful moments, days, years & try to get them back......the only reason you had the happy days was becasue you weren't worried about your health. life is & will always have ups & downs, we'll have to live it with its best & worst days, if we don't feel the bad.....we won't be able to taste the good.

hang in there & try to clear your mind. I'm trying every day & hopefully I'll get better.

cheers,
When I read your post, my gosh, it sounded exactly like me.

I had a health scare last summer and I know exactly, I MEAN EXACTLY, what you are going through.  I don't have time to go into the details, gotta get dinner ready, but if you read my posts from previous weeks, I explain it in detail.  I want to talk with you more cuz we are going through the EXACT same thing.  

Please post anytime, I will look for your posts and support you as much as I can.

God bless...
You are definitely suffering from depression. You are not dying, but I know that you truly believe you are.  You need to get to a psychiatrist and therapy...I telll you this because I went down the same road as you...You can get better and you WILL get better....it will take a while, but you need to have patience with yourself and take it one step at a time...
It has been 10 years and my psychiatrist has told me millions of time that my heart is ok and I don't have any fatal disease. But whenever I get anxious/panicky or depressed I think something will happen to me. I try many things to chage my mind by watching comedy programs, exercising, praying, reading books, going to a good restaurant etc but most often they don't work.  
Through my expereience I have found out that it is the chemical imbalance in our mind which creates this anxiety with or without any stress related things.
This is a sickness just like daibetes, BP, etc.
3 yaers ago I had my ultrasound done I there was and still is 1 cm gallstone in my gall bladder. The laproscopic surgery is very safe and easy but I am scared to do it. I found out that it is not necessary to it as long as it not bothering you and it made me very happy for a while and again I was depressed and anxious that something else which I don't know yet might me wrong in my body which could be fatal.
My father has done this meditaion course which is definately not religous and very helpful. It is called vipassana and its done everywhere in the world. The course is for 10 days and its free. This course is not held in my city and I am afraid to flyig so i haen't done it but please check it out on internet it can change your life foreever. The site is www.dhamma.org
Good Luck.
I thank you all for taking the time to post ~ I am gonna talk to my docs on thursday. I finally opened up all my fears last night to bmy husband as I just couldnt stop crying~ see I had not ever told him the extent of my fears and truly why I am so upset all the time. I pray everday and that god will  take this turmoil away, about therapy I do think I need it. I have so much going on in my life right now I some how have to find the time to go and find the right doc> that is so hard to do!... THANK YOU all again it is great to know there are others that are willing to help~ you all are great! I hope today will be a better day than yesterday,we have to go to dinner with my neighbors which will be hard to put on the smiley face when I feel so sad and scared in side. Raine I will keep posted as I have to take my little one to school right now, I will post again today. God bless you all ~ P.S. is  there a good medication I should ask my doc for that specifically works on heath anxiety????  =)

Kelly~

Kelly~
I have the exact same issue.. I'm only 17years old and I'm so scared. I didn't know whether it was depression, anxiety or that I'm actually unwell. I feel like I have to concentrate on my breathing more. I wish i was back to normal.. this only just started about two weeks ago . I thought it was the drugs I was taking [stereotypical curious teenager] so I stopped and now all of this. I feel alone and scarred and feel silly telling anyone.. I thought i was going mad until I stumbled  across this. I feel better that it isnt just me ! I had my first panic attack about a week ago and i was so scared. I'm moving out next week and that just seems to daunting. I wish I could just get rid of this thing .. I hate it .
i suffered like this a couple years ago.I know it really ***** and is overwhelming,scary and debilitating. Please know it is NOT permanent you CAN beat beat this . Click on my profile and look in the journal..... a long time ago i posted some web links. I dont know if they are all still good links, but sites offered me alot of good info ..some of which i used to get better. Best to all...
I fell ill with flu like symptoms and swollen lymph nodes and developed panic disorder. I had no clue what panic disorder was, so even if a doctor suggested panic disorder, I wouldn't believe it. I was too ill and debilitated. Unlike other members here, I tested positive for a disease that explained all my symptoms; Lyme disease. Panic disorder is just a symptom of my illness, and after many months I was questioning myself whether it was just health anxiety. In fact, I was trying to convince myself that it was just health anxiety since they couldn't figure out what's wrong with me.

I am still posting here, because panic and the feeling of doom are 2 of my worst symptoms. I have had a panic attack with a constant feeling of doom for nearly a week. I've never been in such a scary altered state of mind in my life. In my case I have always knew deep down that I wasn't causing any of this. My panic attacks were a bit atypical as I could have SVTs and stuck in a panic state for hours or even days.

Unlike some of the posters above I believe that your anxiety and feeling of doom is a disease itself or can be caused by a variety diseases. A routine blood test just tests the function of various organs, and such, and all it means is that your essential organs aren't failing. Are your thyroid levels normal? I personally don't think tests like thyroid tests are that good anyway, but it sounds to me that this thyroid surgery (or even the nodule) could have triggered something like hyperthyroidism, in turn causing this horrible anxiety and depression that you face. Are you on anything for thyroid? Have you been thoroughly tested for common things like Graves' disease? that can also cause similar symptoms. With your history, I would assume they are checking for these things and monitoring your thyroid regularily.

I hope you get an answer soon or atleast get the horrible anxiety/depression symptoms under control. It may be beneficial to see a psychiatrist, if only to mask the symptoms you are experiencing. Once you get too far down the rabbit hole, it makes it that much harder to get back up.