Anxiety Community
23k Members

Thinking of Switching from xanax to klonopin any insite?

Hi Ive been taking xanax 0.5 mlg 3x a day for 7 years...yep 7 years..i just recently was reading about how xanax is made for short term use because of its addiction to it...Well needless to say ive been trying to ween off and having the worst time...I read that klonopin is made for panic attacks and can be used long turm and also is less addictive....i really want to try it so when i do decide to get pregnant and come off it might be easier..i am afraid to get pregnant because i feel that the withdrawl from xanax will cause me to miscarry....has anyone tried klonopin for anxiety and did you like it? and also has anyone been succsesful weening off klonopin or xanax...if so please tell me how you did it.....Thank you ....Gina
Thank you so much..i just have one more question how do i switch to klonopin from xanax do i just start taking the klonopin and stop taking the xanax..And Yes i deffinetly plan on taking nothing when im pregnant but i dont plan on trying for another year so i wanted to get off of something that was alittle easier then xanax.And not to sound dumb but how much is .125 figure my doc gives me 0.5 dose pills is that half of that or a quarter of that hope i make sence thanks again...Gina
Hi sorry i just read your comment again and i say how you said to taper of 1/4 of each dose got it thanks.
Ryan,
Hi it's Anne again. You helped me several times before, most recently dealing with the switch from Xanax to Klonopin. I made the switch on July 12, which was 6 days ago. Early into the transition, I felt a little break-through anxiety, mostly it was under the surface and wasn't unbearable. Overall, I felt pretty good. This morning, however, I feel bad, even after taking my .5 mg dose at 7:15 a.m. Before taking the dose, I felt pretty anxious. I woke up with a nervous stomach, which hasn't happened since starting the Klonopin. After taking the a.m. dose, about an hour or so later, it seemed to help a bit. But now it's 10:30 and I've been feeling more anxious again - on top of a spacey feeling in my head, heavy and tingling arms.  Is this normal? I know you said it would be "rocky" for maybe 3 days after starting the Klonopin, but now I'm on day 6 and it seems to be worse. Help! My psych hasn't been any help at all. I am switching to a new doc, but my appt isn't until the 23rd.  Whatever insight you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Anne
Is Klonopin stronger than xanax or vise versa?
Ryan (RCA7591), as well as Dr. Gould (who posts on the doctor-to-patient forum), the Ashton Manual, my pharmacist, and my psychiatrist all agree that Xanax and Klonopin are pretty much 1:1 in terms of dosage. However, there are others out there (online, which is where I'd been looking for clarification) who state that Klonopin is stronger. Still others say Xanax is stronger. It's maddening to have so many different opinions. But, to my mind, the reputable sources say that they are roughly equal. So, that's where I am putting my money. :-)
Anne
Ryan, I can't thank you enough for all your support while I try to figure things out. I'm so new to the anxiety thing, so it's a whole new world for me. Panic attacks, I've had for years, but not this kind of anxiety. You've been so kind and patient, not to mention knowledgeable beyond belief. You've given me answer my own psychiatrist, for whatever reason, hasn't been able (or willing) to give. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
anne
Hi thanks for the info i went to the doctor today...i have a question for you i was taking .5 mg of xanax 3x a day....so i figured he would give me klonoping .5 for 3x a day but he didnt he gave me 1 mg 2x aday what should i do i didnt realize till i left and filled the script should i break them in half and take 3 .5 a day or should i take 2 1 mg a day...not sure what to do...
I told him that this was my plan and he said that klonopin last longer in your system so it should be taken only twice a day..my question is instead of just going back to him cant i just break the 1 mg in half till i go get more..he only gave me a month supply..i used to take klonopin 7 years ago and i used to take it 3x aday at .5 mg...He also said it is much easier to get off of so i will not have as big of a problem..Thanks again
Thanks for everything i will keep you updated on my progress and "journey" lol. of weening of...Thanks again...Gina
i was reading these posts and you have a lot of helpful information. i have been taking xanax for over three years and am trying to get off of it so i too can become pregnant. i was able to wean down from 2.5 mg per day to .5 three times a day. once i tried to go lower than that i found it difficult to function in my day to day activities and was getting a lot of bad panic attacks, so i went back up to the .5 three times a day dosage and felt better and consulted a psychiatrist to help with the weaning process. (i also go to a cognitive behaviour therapist for the past year or so and he has been very helpful on that part). this new psychiatrist switched me to klonopin - .5 twice a day. i started the new meds on saturday and have been feeling very anxious since then. i have trouble sleeping and i have underlying anxiety through out the entire day. i am okay if i rest a lot and try to not move around too much, but this isn't very realistic considering i have to go back to work tomorrow. so my question is, is it normal to feel like this in the beginning of the switch? i thought that the klonopin would take care of the anxiety - not bring it back around.. also is there anything to do if for some reason i get a panic attack while on the klonopin?  i am not looking to increase my medication if i don't have to  - i have been desperately trying to get off of all meds for the past year. if i have a panic attack during the beginning of the klonopin switch, is it okay to take a small dosage of xanax in addition to the klonopin?
I'm no expert, but Klonopin was the worst thing I ever had to get off of.  Great drug when I was on it.  Twice but 2 nasty times weening off of it.  I don't know Xanax, so I don't the better of 2 evils.  I went off everything when I got pregnant.  Actual before, though baby not planned.  I just know Klonopin was tough for me.  Ryan seems to know his stuff though, he's probably better to take the advice from
Hi Ryan,

I’ve been reading this thread with interest.  I am taking 2 mg Klonopin TID (.5mg morning, .5mg afternoon, & 1mg at bedtime).  So, if I read you right, the fastest I can taper with minimal symptoms is over a 16 month period?  If I wanted to do it in 8 months (the shortest time you recommend from this dose?) is there anything I can do in conjunction with the taper to minimize my symptoms, such as eliminating caffeine, exercising, and eating better, etc.?