Anxiety Community
23.1k Members
Avatar universal

Treatment for Avoidant Personality Disorder/ social anxiety?

I believe I have avoidant personality disorder. I haven't seen a doctor about this, but I seem to fit the description exactly. I was treated for social anxiety about 10 years ago, along with depression. I am not depressed and haven't been since I was treated, but when I try to break my isolation and socialize more, it makes me depressed when it doesn't go well. It seems I'm left with the choice of self-imposed isolation or depression, but I would prefer neither.

Are there medications that can treat this? I'd like to see a therapist and I will look into it, but I will be losing my job in December and my insurance coverage along with it, so I don't know how long I'll get to see a therapist. Medication, on the other hand, I would be able to afford. When I was treated for social anxiety years ago, I was on Neurtontin, which I guess lessened the physical symptoms of my anxiety. I'd just like to stop being scared to be myself around people. I'd like to have friends or be in a relationship. Right now, I try to avoid any social encounters I can't control or aren't within a perfectly defined structure. I can't stay like this forever.
3 Responses
1042487 tn?1275283499
The best therapy for this disorder should be Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).

The first medication used generally is Zoloft. In non-responders in can then be switched to Prozac because Prozac is not a substrate of Pgp (P-glycoprotein). This protein is encoded by the ABCB1 gene, non-responders often have a genetic mutation in this gene which can greatly modulate the concentration of several antidepressant that are substrate of Pgp. This genetic mutation is often responsible of the non-responding effect of several antidepressants. Unfortunately not a lot of doctor are aware of this and they goes trials and errors before trying Prozac which is, like I said, not a substrate of Pgp.

Any decision regarding taking a medication, changing dosage whether it be a supplement or a prescription drug must be addressed with a qualified physician.

1348686 tn?1310657843
I agree that therapy would be best for you.  I know you mentioned that you would be losing your job and heatlh coverage in December but I don't think you should let that stop you.  I would suggest that you start the therapy now and start treatment so you can start feeling better.

Who knows if you will even need the therapy in December.  If you do the therapist may be willing to work out an affordable payment schedule for you.

Each person is different and not everyone needs medication.  I am not saying that you don't I am just saying that therapy might be enough for you.  That is something you and your therapist will have to figure out togehter.

Just know that you can get better.  Lots of luck.....

Avatar universal
Talk therapy did a lot for me regarding my anxiety.  As to what kind of therapy or medications, we all respond differently to them and it will be up to you and your therapist.  Do you have access to counseling?  
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Avatar universal
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?