Anxiety Community
23k Members

Vistaril vs Klonopin

My doctor prescribed me Vistaril about 8 months ago to use as needed for anxiety attacks.  I have used about 15 of them in the last 8 months.  This drug makes me very drowsy the day after I take it.  I almost need 12-14 hours to sleep it off.  I can't do this as I have two small children, a full time job, and I'm a student.  

A friend of mine mentioned that I should try clonazepam.  I was just wondering if anyone has tried both of these and what their experience is with it.  Do you take the clonazepam daily or just as needed.  I prefer a drug I can take when I'm feeling especially anxious.  

I was also wondering if I should just ask my general practicioner for this.  I don't want to look like someone who just wants drugs.  I just want a prescription that I can take as needed and continue to function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
kLONOPIN IS 100% BETTER THAN VISTERIL.   oJNE OF MY DOCTORS WEENED ME OF KLONOPIN, AND ON TO VISTERIL, AND i FEEL NOTHING FROM VISTERIL,  i NOW HAVE PANIC ATTACKS AGAIN, MOOD SWINGS AND EXTREME ANXIETY AGAIN.   i AM PISSED, LOST MY JOB, CANT FUNCTION, AND MADE A BIG MISTAKE BY GOING TO A PSYCH AS RECOMMENDED BY MY PRIMARY DOCTOR.
My name is Patricia Thornton-Patricia.***@****

OMG I have had the same things happened to me as well. I was placed on klonopin which worked just fine for me and once that doctor moved to another department in the medical mental health center I go to for anxiety depression and ptsd my new doctor told me she didn't like prescribing klonopin and was going to take me off of them even though I told her how well they worked for me by calming my nerves, allowing me to continue to think clearly, I was still able to work for Directv fulltime, was able to take care of my home and myself, could still read clearly, I wear glasses but my vision was doing ok, I could still interact freely with others both at work and outside of work,  but once she took me off of them and placed me on vistaril my health took a turn for the worse I could no longer do any of the things I mentioned above and also my memory just disappeared , I recently began passing out completely unconscious once while walking across the street in 4 lanes of rush hour traffic, 8 times while walking down 3 flights of concrete steps causing me to be rushed to the hospital ER, 3times while at home alone I woke up on my bathroom floor bloody face and ripped off nails bloody mouth, once in the lobby of the building I live in I was face down in front total strangers who live in the same building who all did nothing to help me ,and most recent one in the public library 3rd floor office I just with no warning hit the floor completely unconscious it was horrible so need less to say I am not taking them ever again I stopped 5 days ago and already feel like im getting back to my old self.
Hi.  I have never been on Vistaril, but have been on Klonopin for a few years.  I really like it and it works well.  One good thing is that it has a long half life so stays in your system longer.  I use to take, as needed, but do to GAD, I now take 3 times a day.  However, I am going to talk to him about tapering down.  I notice some drowsiness, but nothing like what you are mentioning.  Hope this helps.
My name is Patricia Thornton / Patricia.***@****
patricia.***@****
Sue 357, I was on klonipin for more than 3years and neber exoerienced any "addiction" properties like my "Quack" doctor was all worried about. I have massive panic and anxiety attacks and the klonipin was literally my lifeline to a normal life. Well, recently I have had to travel quite a bit due to my job and have called the "quack" to ask if I could get a 5-7 day early refill. Because of this he and his nurse decided that I was a drug addict or a dealer and cut me off and put me on paxil and vistaril. Let me tell you, it's like taking a placebo. My panic attacks and anxiety have seemed to heighten, in my opinion they are both worthless pharmaceuticals. So then they put me on seraquel, which I might ad is for people with bi-polar disorder and psychotic behaviour neither of which I have ever been diagnosed with. The only thing it did for me was made me sleep for 26, yeah 26 hours. And when I woke up I felt like **** for two days. Doctors today it seems to me are too worried about a handful of patients who abuse these benzodiazipines(valium, ativan klonipin etc. and don't give a damn about treating the patient in the fear that they might become dependant on these meds. The old shrink that i was seeing left the practice and regularly prescribed me ativan and valium without any worries about me becoming a drug addict. I'll tell you it is hard to find a doctor that is willing to listen to what has worked for you in the past. They always have a "better solution with some better **** that is most of the time very expensive.

Thanks for listening to my babbling. hemispheres65
I  totally agree with you here. I have panic anxiety attacks not just feeling anxious but when I get very upset I go into a real panic attack can't breathe, can't get my breath feel scared. I didn't have these until after I was beaten by an x-boyfriend who nearly killed me.  I was prescribed Ativan 1mg x3 day. If you suffer with panic/anxiety attacks, you can't  just take the medication as needed because by the time you think about it you've already been into a full-blown attack. I've recently been cut completely off after going to a new psychiatrist whom I saw one day she left the practice to go back to her home state. So now only see a Nurse Practitioner.  I have what's called Sjogren's syndrome which causes extremely dry eyes. The night before I had torn a whole chunk of my cornea off, size of the tip of your pinky finger.  I didn't know it at the time but had been tearing and crying all night basically with it. I couldn't put make up on, and had no sleep. I know I looked absolutely horrible. First thing this doctor said to me was "are you all right, are you all right!  You don't look all right did you drive here I hope you didn't drive. You look all spaced out." Then proceeded to give me a dementia task asking me to remember three words then telling me that I need to subtract three from 24 and keep going until she tells me to stop. Gives me one other task and then asked me to tell her what the first three words were.  She immediately cut my sleep medication in half as well as my Ativan and told me I was going to be on a taper. I know she thought I looked like a drug attic I did not even know that I had torn the corneal off. I told her I had an emergency eye doctors appointment after hers to check my eye. They  continue to make me feel like I am some kind of a drug addict. In Ohio they have the OARRS reporting system now  to check and monitor your drugs to give them a total of opiate levels. However they are only supposed to use it as a tool and if they are not the prescriber of the medication they really don't have a necessity to run the report. I can tell you that Ambien is not a barbiturate according to their list, but Klonipin and Ativan are. Then of course pain meds.  They really only need to check it every 90 days however mine says they're going to run the report every time they see me. I was beaten by a fellow who became addicted to drugs he nearly killed me. To make me feel like I am some type of a drug addict absolutely infuriates me that I am being treated that way.  Plus you are right if you decide you want to switch to a different doctor they look at that is you trying to seek drugs. Such a shame that the people who abuse medications selling them have made it bad for the ones who actually need to be treated. My doctor put me on Vistaril also it does nothing but make me extremely sleepy. I recently nearly Totaled my car and I'm certain it was because of that medication making me drowsy.
patricia.***@****
Klonopin works great, for both the physical and mental of anxiety, especially if you have it 24/7 "gad"
Drs like to think Antidepressants are the key to anxiety, but thats just not true all the time.

They will probably give you a hard time about asking for it, ask for buspar first "non benzo" and try that, if that doesnt work then go to the clonazepam "klonopin"
Vistaril is nothing but Benadryl really, most of the qualities come from the ANTIHISTAMINE, which I guess if you have allergies would work pretty good, lol
They cut me off my klonopin and tried giving me that ****, and I told them that was the first thing I was given when My anxiety started, and it did nothing, she just looked at me like I was stupid and didnt know myself.
I guess they feel people suffering from anxiety are mentally incompetent of making a real decisions, and accurate needs of medicines.
patricia.***@****
The best thing that you can do is to get a benzodiazepine prescribed like clonazepam, but if the doctor absolutely refuses to prescribe a benzodiazepine to you then there is something that is available over the counter that actually works, it is called Kava, make sure to only use the recommended amount of Kava other wise it can put stress on the liver, it is the only thing that is available over the counter that works, I'm speaking from experience, not just from what I read

Take Care
June 1, 2018
patricia.***@****
I have been somewhat in the situation that you are in.  My doctor had me on 1 mg. Xanax 4 times a day.  After a year or so, I sat down with my doctor, and explained that the xanax was not working as well as it once did.  He kept me on the same dose of xanax and added Vistaril.  It only took a couple of days before I was back in his office being taken off of the Vistaril.  I had severe headaches not to mention that I flipped and totaled my brand new pathfinder.  I cant really say that the Vistaril had a major part in the accident, but my reflexes were off.  Anyway, I'm still on the Xanax and instead of taking 1 pill 4 times a day, I talk 2 pills twice a day.  My doctor didn't tell me to do that, but I found that it worked for me and didn't want to ask him to increase my dose since I'm already on several very strong medicines.  My advise would be to find a doctor like I did that will sit down with you and listen that everything you have to say and understand.  More than likely he will put you on a benzodiazapine of some kind.  Those are really the only "nerve" pills that actually work.  Be very careful, they are highly addictive and you can easily overdose.  I actually give all of my medications to my mother and get them from her when I'm supposed to take them.  I hope this information helps.  Feel free to E-Mail me if you have any questions @ ***@**** .   P.S. I'm a medical student at the Medical University of South Carolina in case you were wondering if any of this info was correct.  good luck.