Anxiety Community
23k Members

Welcome to the Anxiety Forum

WELCOME TO THE ANXIETY FORUM!
Welcome everyone to the Anxiety Forum. This is the place to come if you have questions or concerns about anxiety/panic, related medications and their side effects and recovery.

Some of our members have been living with anxiety and related disorders for years, while others are new to the waiting rooms of psychiatrists/therapists and the rainbow of medications available to treat our various conditions.

Regardless of what brings you here, welcome!

Be sure to check out the "Health Pages," you'll find the link in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Health Pages address topics related to Anxiety/Panic and among the pages you will find a list of common anxiety related acronyms. It's a great resource!

Once you have looked around, why not create a profile and tell us a little about yourself? Your profile can be as simple or as complex as you like. You will meet people from around the world and have the opportunity to learn from, and help, others who share our same concerns. Once you've created a profile, check out "My Med Help" at the top of the page and check out the many great features and setting options that are available.

Consider posting on a current thread, or starting one of your own. Don't worry; you'll get the hang of it quickly! You can also track how you feel from day to day with the mood tracker located on the top right hand of the page. Along with this, there is also an anxiety tracker, which of course is perfect for this forum.  Just like with your mood you will be able to track your progress throughout your journey with us here on the forum.  

If you've got something on your mind, please don't be shy or embarrassed! Most of us have "been there and done that!" THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS! We are ALL here to learn!

Get acquainted with other members.....there are several ways to do this. You can scroll over a persons name and "Add a Friend," this allows you to send notes and gives that person access to your journals. Do you want to speak privately with another member? Send a Private Message (PM).   Again, simply scroll over their name and click on "Send Message." Only have a minute but want to welcome a new member? Congratulate someone, wish someone a better day or give someone a 'cyber-hug', then scroll on their name and click on "Send a Note."  Again, welcome to the forum!

Greenlydia and CJ29

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I have been a Medhelp member since my colon resection 6 months ago.  I have also been a clinical depressive since age 9 ( am 51 now ) and have suffered from anxiety, as well.  Since my surgery the anxiety has really manifested itself big time.  I worry constantly about my health, recovery, etc.,.  Anyway, it is great that you have this forum and again, thanks for the welcome.
Hi..........I'm really glad you found our forum and let me apologize for taking so long to get back with you. Summer is a time we get a bit "lazy" with things and we need to remind ourselves that folks have issues every day.

Did your colon resection go as planned? How is your recovery coming along? I assume you have been to your doctor for follow up exams.........what do they have to say? I can understand how this type of surgery would cause a flare in your anxiety. I trust you are talking to your doc about ALL of your feelings. They should be able to reassure you about your recovery and if they aren't, you need to get in their face and get the answers you deserve. If you are seeing your surgeon for follow up care, they are notorious for a bedside manner of "treat 'em and street 'em," and to hell with your emotional needs!  

You say you have been clinically depressed since the age of 9. Are you seeing a doctor and therapist for this? Are you on any medication for the depression?

Since the anxiety has increased since the surgery, it may be a good time for a visit with your PCP and discuss this with him/her. Perhaps a short course of an anti-anxiety med may be just what you need right now while you cope with your recovery.

Doctors these days are so overwhelmed with seeing as many patients a day as they can, you really need to get pro-active about your care and not leave their office until you are satisfied that all your questions and concerns have been adequately addressed. You may be their patient, but they work FOR YOU. If they aren't doing their job, it's your right to fire them and find someone who will do the job right. You deserve the very best health care and you should demand you get it.

Keep us posted, OK? And write whenever you need to, we'll try to do better about getting back to you sooner!
Peace
Greenlydia
again thanks for the warm welcome, i love this website, i've obtained more info then searching around myself or just asking around(where i'm @) do you suffer from aniexty(i only read a short bit of what you wrote?)
awesome INTRO INTO THIS 'TOUCHY' SUBJECT..TO SAY THE LEAST..... the thread on weather its a 'mental illness' or not was VERY good...BUT i say "Even if it IS(& it is classified in the DSM-IV as a MENTAL-ILLNESS ( I VIEW IT AS A dissorder, AS I DO MY BI-POLAR....I THINK A DISORDER is more appropriate when its a MISSING CHEMICAL ur dealing with, as opposed to a more DESTROYED Physcial organ/tissues BUT that my 2 Cents worth!) and with ur awesome intro Cj29, into all the things we can do for it...i dusted off my 6 yr old, and my refresher stuff(yr and a half) on MY Anxiety Dissorder Personal Notes from One-on-One and even the notes i took when talking to trusted friends... I Mean My PTSD/Anxiety Attacks were unpredictable as to whom or where or what,,,,ORSO I THOUGHT!!! we found , literally, dozens of triggers for them..NOWDAYS i Rarely have to leave the store because i see sandbag barricades, and people in combat gear dissapearing around the edges of the asiles, or glanceat a young teen-ager, and see him  inna blood splattered unoiform, and then not be able to breath,,,my chest so tight i thought i was dying there..... Thank GOD i HAVE A PARTNER that we share everything, and she could spot the signs of N ATTACK...SHE HELPPED WITH THE TRIGGERS  even! aND SHE WOULD GET ME BACK TO THE TRUCK,,,SAT DOWN...SMOKE A BIT...TAKE A pain pill( YES SOMETIMES IT WAS JUST BECAUSE OF AN ELEVATED pain-level) BUT IT REALLY TOOK ME 2 SESSIONS OF 9 MONTHS 2-TIMES A WEEK AT THE va AND A SECOND SESSION OF 3 MONTHS 4.5 YRS LATER, JUST TO brush up ON IT..im soo sorry about the caps..i cant type and look at the same time ...yet...lol BUT the point here is , at least in MY CASE, the Anxiety Attacks were able to be FACED with the 4 step method in the forums, and the first 2 definately were the hardest....accepting the fear, and letting it flow 'Past, Thru, Around, and AWAY from you" usuelly, after i got the hang of the problem, i was BACK AT WHAT I WAS DOING w/in 15 minutes.....i also found logging what i felt(in order) and what i did to stop it in a diary(with MOOD CHARTING) helped..i could REVIEW and ,hopefully, desensitize THAT Particular "BUTTON" if u will.... WELL i have to update some profile...i can tell from my last 4 hours in this website it will be a DAILY VISIT!!! thanks CJ keep it up!
Thanks for this forum :) It seems like no matter who you go to, someone always gives you a dirty look or a negative comment when you mention anything like a mental condition, antidepressants, anxiety, panic attacks, benzidiazepines.. anything like that. It's comforting to know that theres a place like this on here, you all seem like amazing people and i hope i can keep t his comfortable feeling here.
Hi.  Thanks for the encouragement.  Yes, I am under the care of a psychiatrist.  I also have a PCP, as well, but my shrink is the one who manages my care.  We recently had to make a med adjustment as I experienced what he called "Zoloft failure".  I was put back on Celexa (60mg daily) plus I take Klonopin TID.  I seem to be doing better.  My surgeon ordered a CT scan and all results came back normal.  Also, thanks for reinforcing my need to be more proactive.  I am firing my GI, who I have had for about 12 years as he thinks I'm just this neurotic woman.  He had the gall to ask me, in my first follow up with him...)mind you he was not involved whatsoever in my surgery, as I found out he does not have priveleges, any longer, where I had it done) "Why do I feel the need to be sick, is it for attention?".  I have a BS in Psych and am a teacher so a little familiar with mental illness.  I responded no, I think it is a false sense of control  ha ha. I told my shrink and he agrees with me.  Anyway, thanks so much and I will keep you posted.