Aa
A
A
A
Close
Anxiety Community
23.1k Members

Withdrawal

My doctor took me out of xanax 1mg half of it at night. Ive been taking xanax for  two months now. And he wants me to take lorazepam 1mg intead of the xanax. Will I get withdrawal symptoms of the xanax? Thanx....
3 Responses
1666691 tn?1303754348
You might have a little withdrawel but you where on it short and it was a low dose so the symptoms  will probably be mild.Lily
1670196 tn?1306841245
I'm not sure what to tell you about the withdrawal symptoms...  Xanax and lorazepam are in the same class of drugs (they do the same thing).  I would check with your pharmacist.  They are usually more informed on the side effects, etc. of medications than our doctors are.  Hope that helps.
Uhh, no, I seriously doubt you'll go through withdrawals. Lorazapam (Ativan) is actually more potent than Xanax and has a longer half-life. Ativan is actually 1.5-2 times as strong as Xanax and has double the half-life. I've run through a lot of the benzos and Ativan has always been the strongest one in the mix. It doesn't hit as quickly as Xanax but it packs a wallop when it does kick in.

Why is your doc kicking you over? Has the Xanax stopped working for you? The Ativan will give you good relief and put you to sleep at night but I found it to be one of the most addictive out of the bunch. Almost as addictive as Xanax. This is obviously a generalization but getting off of the benzos isn't terribly pleasant. This might be a tangent, but you should ask about hydroxyzine if you're suffering from insomnia. It's the best sleep medication I have ever taken in terms of risks/benefits and side effects.
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1595629445
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?