Anxiety Community
23k Members

Zoloft for anxiety reviews?

I'm thinking of trying Zoloft for my gad/pd.  No real depression, just anxiety.  I've been on Effexor for about 1 month and it doesn't seem to be working.  It also gives me tremors and night sweats.  I was on Lexapro for many years then it pooped out.  I did very well on Lexapro.  My anxiety has been a daily battle for the past few months.  I exercise, do yoga, go to therapy, on meds to no avail.  Has anyone had success on Zoloft for severe anxiety?  What about side effects?  I've read it can be somewhat stimulating which is my problem with the Effexor.
Zoloft   not the best for anxiety , Prozac ok  if you took Lexapro try citalopram the meds older brother .
Just by the comments on this website and in general Zoloft is probably the best of the ssris for anxiety.  Prozac tends to be stimulating, so it is generally not as good, but when it works it's great because it has the least problems with stopping.  Effexor is very stimulating, as it also targets adrenalin, so it's not usually prescribed for primary anxiety.  It's a very hard drug to stop taking, so taper off slowly.
I should add, two of the moderators of this forum swear by Zoloft -- nursegirl and CJ.  You might try contacting them.
Thank you.  I will try to contact them.
I was on Zoloft for many many years until it pooped out on me... Its a great drug it does take some time to really work but once it does your anxiety is gone, at least mine was for 12 years or so. I say give it a try but be patient with it..
Thank you.  Are you taking something else now?
LEXAPRO is the king of SSRI,S  covers the hole spectrum . I swapped from Zoloft  overnight on to 10mg Lexapro from 50mg Zoloft  and I felt a hole change in my person over on the first day , I had 1 med going in and another going  out .they crossed the blood barrier like a dream. Now LEXAPRO has  pooped  out ,I did the same 1 day taper back to  ZOLOFT and it seems to be giving me a second stab at the med.    GROSSING OVER  meds of the same group is easy and painless .I pioneered  the method with my GP in ENGLAND ,the only 1 willing to let me try. now they all do it , this method was born in America and I first  saw it on PHYCOBABBLE  20 YEARS  ago when I was a member .
i was on many different ones until i settled on Celexa, its an ok drug but not great.
There is no "king" of ssris.  Dyslexic, we keep going back and forth over the same ground -- these meds are very individual.  Trying to sell others on what worked for you doesn't do them any good because it might not work for them and then they might feel hopeless.  Lexapro did nothing much for me, it was no "king."  Not because the drug doesn't work, it just didn't take for me.  Now, is it advertised as the "king" of ssris?  Yeah, when the patent for Celexa ran out, the manufacturer came up with Lexapro, a slightly different drug, got a new patent, and advertised it as having few side effects and working better.  It didn't turn out to be true.  Advertising almost never does.  So we experiment and hopefully find what suits us.  It's also dangerous to stop any of these drugs abruptly -- withdrawals can be horrible and can last a long time if not done correctly.  Going on another drug even in the same class does not stop withdrawals, it often just intensifies the problem.  
I agree, swapping one med for another straight isn't the way to go.  I've been off Lexapro for 2 days after a 6 week taper.  My pdoc said taper off in 2 weeks but that didn't work.  I had wicked headaches and anxiety.  I started Effexor 2 weeks into the taper.  If I had simply switched one for the other I think it would have been a lot worse.
Hi Sunny.  What you need is Klonopin, a tranquilizer, it will stop all anxiety and all panic attacks.  You have to be very careful with it, realize it is addicting and very quickly, too.  You HAVE to stick with the smallest amount that gives you relief and set aside the good feeling you got from it initially.  But SSRIs for anxiety is dumb.  All you need is a tranq.  Ask your psych about it, see will they try it out for you.  As to Zoloft, it is the best antidepressant that helps A VERY LITTLE with anxiety and panic, so do not take it, please.  It just kills me that they hand out SSRIs like candy, when it is entirely too complex for someone who is merely anxious.  GG
As you can see your going to get lots of different input on what is good and what is bad. Every single persons brain is going to act different. As I said Zoloft was a wonderful drug for me and worked great for my panic attacks and anxiety to where they were completely gone for years, and it may not work for you at all. You just need to try and see what happens that is the best you can do!!