Anxiety Community
23k Members

Zoloft

Hello.  I've just started taking Zoloft about a month ago.  While sleeping at night, I wake up abruptly feeling like I am having a panic attack, chest feels tight, my mind is racing.  It lasts for about 15 minutes and then stops and I fall back asleep.  I am a bit fearful and worried if I should continue the Zoloft.  I didn't have panic attacks this severe before taking the Zoloft.  Has anyone else experienced this?  My doctor just prescribed Klonopin for me to take in the event I need to calm down.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Namaste,

Zoloft is an antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Zoloft affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression, panic, anxiety, or obsessive-compulsive symptoms.

Zoloft is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).

Zoloft can cause side effect which include, trouble sleeping, panic attacks and anxiety.

The Klonopin may help, depending on the dosage and the scheduling.  If not, you may need to consult with your doctor about possibly using a different benzodiazapine.

Michael
I have taken Zoloft (which I actually prefer) and Klonopin together in the past.  For me, it has really worked combined with talk therapy.  I would have panic attacks at night, which could be from the medication, but can also be from the disorder as well.  I firmly believe it was the latter and not the former with me.  When do you take the Zoloft?  

i was looking for anyone who had this problem, just last night i had a bad problem, woke up about 4:30 an . looked at my bed an it looked strange, started to shake and got really dizzy, knees felt weak like i was going to faint or die,then i felt a cold electric wave run down my body, my heart rate was normal but i took xanax to calm me down. ive only took xanax for three days now.so any advice would be great
sorry ive only took zoloft for three days now