Anxiety Community
23k Members

anxiety effects?

I've posted this same sort of question before but i have to again- it's driving me crazy. For months now i've had anxiety issues. I have a fairly healthy background, i wouldn't say i'm really really healthy but i try to eat well and exercise etc etc, no history of heart problems, smoked 'socially' for about a year and a half, now i don't. It began during exams in February, when all of a sudden i had air hunger, and problems sleeping, i already had a trapped nerve in my neck which ran down my arms and chest and was particularly bad on the left hand side. It got to the point where i could not control it myself, and was put on xanax. I only took one tablet every 2 days for about a week. Problem solved.
However when i had exams again, it came back, and now it's 3 months on and i cannot get rid of it. My heart beats fast and strong almost constantly, it's always on my mind. I still have shortness of breath and air hunger. When it gets bad i have left arm pain. I had what i thought was some form of heart problem but was told by my doctor it was a panic attack about a month ago. Last night i had another. It's very controlling if that makes sense. I'm only 18, and this seems abnormal to me. Does anyone know if i should be concerned that this is more than an anxiety disorder and could possibly be a larger health issue? I have always thought it was, despite my octor telling me otherwise- several other issues I have is getting infections very easily, my throat seems to be filled with phlegm constantly (i had tonsilitis about 2 months ago and have felt it ever since) i also have a cough, but it is more of a tickle in my throat from tonsilitis i got again last week. I used to have chest pains, but not anymore...I was convinced it was a heart problem, but i find taking something like xanax helps a lot. When i have a panic episode, my heart beats really strong, i problems breathing, and i get these like surges of nausea and dizziness for a few seconds (thats the worst part)
I would really appreicate the help- is this normal for an 18 year old with anxiety? I have nothing to base it on or compare it against, but it seems like it shouldn't be this bad since i haven't been stressed for months. I would really appreciate some advice. If this is normal, how can i fix it?! I feel incapable of handling it myself...however i don't want to be reliant on perscription drugs so early in life...thank you!!
Get your electrolytes checked out -- Potassium, Magnesium, Sodium, Calcium.  They may be low even if it doesn't show up on the test.  The Magnesium and Potassium are very important to all of this, as they are needed for healthy muscle function.

Magnesium and the B Vitamin Complex are very important for stress and stress related problems.
Air hunger, anxiety and all of your symptoms are common for lyme, Babesia and Bartonella (common Lyme co-infections.)  I had them all and was miserable for months until I was properly diagnosed.  I was told my many doctors it was all in my head / stress / anxiety before getting properly diagnosed with lyme & co's.  All of those symptoms are GONE today.

Check out the message below that I left for another person on this site.  It should apply to you. If you have a lot of the symptoms (more than 15), strongly suspect lyme & co's.  Your regular doctor can't help you.  
_____________________________

Have you considered Lyme disease?  I had all of the symptoms you had and was told for months that it was all stress, in my head.  I was told to seek therapy and go on Prozac.  I was given klonopin.

It turns out anxiety is a common side effect of disseminated lyme disease and Bartonella  

See the symptom list far below.  (This is only some of them...there are really more than 70.)   You don't need to have all of them.  But more than 15 strongly suspect lyme & co's.

The key to getting diagnosed properly is the doctor.  I had a terrible time back in Feb-April of 2010 with weird symptoms, dizziness, anxiety, forgetfulness, brian fog, twitching, jaw pain, slurrred speech, etc, etc.  I had dozens of tests, including a lyme ELISA test...all normal.  I was told it was stress, that I had a somatization disorder, and told to go on Prozac and seek therapy.  I"m only 35!  

I then found another doctor who happened to be an ILADS trained LLMD (Lyme Literate MD).  She did a Western Blot test from a lab called Igenex.  I came back highly positive for lyme and some "co-infections" (Bartonella and Babesia.)  I never had a rash nor do I remember a bite.  Lyme is in all 50 states.

I'm now in treatment and am 90% better!   I have a few more months to go. All of my anxiety / brain fog is GONE!  

Just a word of caution...lyme is very controversial.  The mainstream doctors and infectious disease guru's deny that Chronic Lyme exists and feel it is easy to diagnose with good tests and easy to treat with 2-3 weeks of antibiotics.   This just isn't true and there have been no double blinded studies to show that lyme is eradicated from the body with a short course of antibiotics.

This is why you need an ILADS trained doctor.   You can go to their website and download Dr. Burrascano's treatment guideline.  It is the "bible" of lyme.   Regular doctors will say these aren't symptoms and that it is in your head.

Not saying you have lyme...but anxiety is a common symptom.  I've met people who've been told they've had ALS, Anxiety, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue for 10 years when it was really lyme.  They got well once going to an LLMD and getting proper, agressive treatment.

Check out the documentary Under Our Skin (google it).  There are also clips on youtube.  You can probably rent from your local library.

You can get well!  lymenet is a good resource also.

Cheers

Lyme Disease Symptoms List
1. Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
2. Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
3. Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
4. Unexplained hair loss
5. Swollen glands: list areas____
6. Sore throat
7. Testicular pain/pelvic pain
8. Unexplained menstrual irregularity
9. Unexplained milk production: breast pain
10.Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
11.Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
12.Upset stomach
13.Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
14.Chest pain or rib soreness
15.Shortness of breath, cough
16.Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
17.Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
18.Joint pain or swelling: list joints_____________
19.Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
20.Muscle pain or cramps
21.Twitching of the face or other muscles
22.Headache
23.Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
24.Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
25.Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
26.Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
27.Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
28.lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
29.Lightheadedness, wooziness
30.Tremor
31.Confusion, difficulty in thinking
32.Diffculty with concentration, reading
33.Forgetfuiness, poor short term memory
34.Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
35.Difficulty with speech or writing
36.Mood swings, irritability, depression
37.Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
38.Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

Symptoms for Bartonella and Babesia (common co-infections with lyme)

Bartonellosis symptoms:

Common symptoms of bartonellosis include:

___Fatigue (often with agitation, unlike Lyme disease, which is more exhaustion)

___Low grade fevers, especially morning and/or late afternoon, often associated with feelings of "coming down with the flu or a virus"

___Sweats, often morning or late afternoon (sometimes at night) - often described as "thick" or "sticky" in nature

___Headaches, especially frontal (often confused with sinus) or on top of head

___Eye symptoms including episodes of blurred vision, red eyes, dry eyes

___Ringing in the ears (tinnitus) and sometimes hearing problems (decreased or even increased sensitivity - so-called hyperacusis)

___Sore throats (recurring)

___Swollen glands, especially neck and under arms

___Anxiety and worry attacks; others perceive as "very anxious"

___Episodes of confusion and disorientation that are usually transient (and very scary); often can be seizure-like in nature

___Poor sleep (especially difficulty falling asleep); poor sleep quality

___Joint pain and stiffness (often both Left and Right sides as opposed to Lyme which is often on one side only with pain and stiffness that changes locations)

___Muscle pains especially the calves; may be twitching and cramping also

___Foot pain, more in the morning involving the heels or soles of the feet (sometimes misdiagnosed as plantar fasciitis)

___Nerve irritation symptoms which can be described as burning, vibrating, numb, shooting, etc.

___Tremors and/or muscle twitching

___Heart palpitations and strange chest pains

___Episodes of breathlessness

___Strange rashes recurring on the body often, red stretch marks, and peculiar tender lumps and nodules along the sides of the legs or arms, spider veins

___Gastrointestinal symptoms, abdominal pain and acid reflux

___Shin bone pain and tenderness

------------------------------------------------------

Babesiosis

As with other co-infections, there is a lot of overlap of symptoms between Lyme disease and Babesiosis. An accumulation of the following signs and symptoms probably warrant testing and/or treatment of Babesiosis:

___Chills

___Fatigue and often excessive sleepiness

___High fever at onset of illness

___Night sweats that are often drenching and profuse

___Severe muscle pains, especially the large muscles of the legs (quads, buttocks, etc.)

___Neurological symptoms often described as "dizzy, tipsy, and spaciness," similar to a sensation of "floating" or "walking off the top of a mountain onto a cloud"

___Depression

___Episodes of breathlessness, "air hunger", and/or cough

___Decreased appetite and/or nausea

___Spleen and/or liver enlargement

___Abnormal labs (low white blood count, low platelet counts, mild elevation of liver enzymes, and elevated sed rate)

___Headaches (migraine-like, persistent, and especially involving the back of the head and upper neck areas)

___Joint pain (more common with Lyme and Bartonella)

___anxiety/panic (more common with Bartonella)

___Lymph gland swelling (more common with Bartonella and Lyme)