Anxiety Community
23k Members

anxiety meds

I am new to this forum and am looking for a medication that is going to work for me. I have been taking xanax for 10 yrs. but only take .25 maybe once or twice a week. Life has gotten a little complicated latley and my anxiety has kicked into high gear. I went to see my gp last week to find a med that would better control my anxiety because I found myself taking my xanax everyday and I know how addictive it is. She put me on Lexapro and I took one dose @ 5mg before bed and it was horrible. the next morning I felt like I had drank 2 bottles of wine the night before. I drove up to the store and ran over a curb just trying to get out of my parking spot! My friend had a script of zoloft she hadn't used and offered it to me. My doc said she was going to prescribe Zoloft for me if the Lexapro was too expensive on my insurance ( which it was $80!) So I decided to give it a try. I took my first dose last night @ 25mg and today I am feeling pretty wired and I don't like it a bit. It's making me feel more anti-social  and want to take more xanax to even myself out. I have a 1 yr old daughter and can't afford to feel out of sorts like this! Does anyone have any suggestions of a medication I should try next?

Thanks,
Nicole

None of us are doctors here at all. So to even say take this or that would be wrong. OK, so we could suggest things. Klonopin has a longer, steadier state when it comes to anxiety. Doesn't kick in like xanax. Takes time to build in the system. But it more used for people with 24/7 anxiety. You can also take something else as needed if your doctor still feels you would need more. A low dose of valium or something. But never use scripts that are not meant for you. Even though your doctor said that was next on the list. He could have wanted to try it with something else. Such forms of medication take time to work. Maybe 2 weeks. During which time you won't feel the greatest you ever had. You done what a lot of people do. Run the second they feel bad on the medication. We have all done it at one point or another. Not wanting to allow the medication time to work because of the first side effects.
Lexapro take several weeks to kick in so give it a chance since it's a low side effect medication. Klonopin is a good idea but i'd try Buspirone (Buspar) is a psychoactive drug and pharmaceutical medication of the piperazine and azapirone chemical classes. It is used primarily as an anxiolytic, but also to a lesser extent as an antidepressant. So it have the anxiolytic aspect of xanax without the hypnotic and sedative effect so that means reduction of anxiety without side effects. I would also consider Cymbalta if Lexapro really don't work. Talk to your GP after giving some weeks of Lexapro. I heard good things about Zoloft too but i like the new Lexapro with less side effects than the older Celexa.

Hope this will help you a bit

Best regards,
M4
Please note that Klonopin is almost identical to xanax and other benzodiazepines so it won't make a difference if you are looking for a long term medication it is not reccomended...
busparine is dangerous; they're actually trying to take it off the market from what I understand. I had an acute dystonic reaction to it, and ever since then my anxiety attacks have increased tenfold from high anxiety to pure terror....Cymbalta worked well for many people I know, in conjunction with xanax or ativan. also, if you do decide to go with buspar, be forewarned that it can cause serious difficulty sleeping, and with a 1-year-old (I've got one as well) that could be devastating to your energy levels during the day....They put me on valium but i stopped taking it because it was too sedating also. A lot of times it takes an anti-anxiety/depressant combined with a short-acting drug like xanax to achieve control over anxiety...good luck.

btw...it takes quite awhile for drugs to even out in your system, so you might want to give zoloft another week or two? hard to say.
I was just curious as to where you heard that about buspar I am on it and I have heard it has very little side effects etc... So just curious?? What kind of reaction did you have??
It is called Buspirone not busparine  by the way and its safe... Find me an article about Buspirone ( buspar ) being dangerous or to be removed from the market please and i will be grateful... untill then i have to disagree with all you said... sorry

Show me scientific paper or real research done on Buspirone and then i might credit you. But not spelling it right at first place put you on the wrong track from the start. And i don't mean to offense you whatsoever i jus try to protect valuable information.

Best regards,
M4