Anxiety Community
23k Members

anxiety

I'm 31 years old I have been getting anxiety since I was 23 they seem to be getting worse and worse I feel like I'm going crazy I feel like I can't breathe I feel like I'm gonna faint sometimes I feel like I'm having a heart attack I get lots of tension and pressure in my head I feel like I'm going crazy I don't know what to do I'm still tired of them I feel like anxiety is taking over my life I can't keep a job I just can't function I'll feel like I'm sick I need to get better I have 3 kids I need to care for and a wonderful husband that's been by my side hey I'm scared he's gonna get tired of me sometimes I just want to give up on life I have tried to get help several times all they wanna do is put me ona all kinds of medication can someone please help me I don't think I could take much more
hey, I'm 22 and this past year has been a doozy for me. finally came to the conclusion that the root of all the symptoms and panic attacks (didnt know it was panic attacks until much later) was anxiety... It was HORRIBLE. but to be honest with you, I have found a good psychologist for therapy (which almost immediately made me feel better, like I was finally making a step in progression- and a psychiatrist to handle the drug part. He put me on a benzo  to quickly counteract the anxiety, which helped TREMENDOUSLY, and hes then going to put me on cymbalta for the long run. I dont want to be on meds either but hey- you have a headache youre going to take advil right? I wish you luck- dont let this be the thing that brings you down.  
batmanjoey is so right!  Therapy is very beneficial but sometimes we have to accept that we need medication....and that's okay. Anxiety is like any other medical condition requiring daily medication to control the symptoms.  If you were told you had diabetes, you wouldn't think twice about taking medication for that.....anxiety is no different.  Anxiety is robbing you of so much and therapy and/or medication is how we fight back.  It's great that we have these choices because for many of us....medication gave us our lives back. You can feel so much better!  Talk with a psychiatrist about how you're feeling and the two of you can determine the best course of treatment for you, and he can refer you to the proper therapist.  They are also most knowledgable when it comes to the medications for this.  Please don't keep suffering needlessly, you need to be able to enjoy your life.  Best wishes.
I totally understand what your saying and can totally relate.  They have given me zoloft and valumn but with my anxiety of course I am afraid to take it plus Im not sure that I want to take medications.  I have recently started going to see a therapist and that does kinda help me some.  I have learned on this site that exercising is almost essential for anxiety, which I plan on starting including that into my daily routine.  I guess my best advice is that we have to make it through it, we have our children that look up to us and need us.  And it seems that your husband is a great support for you.  Good Luck!!
I feel your pain…I never suffered from anxiety or panic attacks till  over a year ago when my mom passed away…I was on lexapro and xanax for about 8 months then my Dr. slowly took me off of them…I was good for a while and BAM out of the blue they came back even stronger…for the past two months it’s been an emotional rollercoaster for me…part of me wants to take the meds but the other part of me feels I need to take control over this! My Dr. wants to put me back on meds but I don’t like the way they make me feels at 1st…for some reason they activate my anxiety even more…soooooo I am currently seeing a therapist and when it gets real real bad where I feel I am going to lose it I take ½ of my 0.25mg of xanax just to help take the edge off a little… I do have my good days but for most of the time I spend my days feeling light headed or/and with a bad head ache! I too have kids to look after and that is what keeps me going…good luck sweetie…seek the help you need in order to help you better understand this disorder and help you turn this around…when things get bad I say to myself “this too shall pass”  
Cindy, I've been there as well. My anxiety started at the same age as you are now, and got out of hand last year, when I was 36. Like Ive40, the last few weeks of my father's life put me in a position where it was time to ask for help.
       I'm in a position where I can't take medication for mental health issues without going before a medical review board and being sidelined at my job. With that in mind, my doctor sent me to a psychologist who specialized in anxiety.
     My own opinion is that medication is absolutely necessary when you can't function to a point where you'd be fully able to invest the effort and energy in therapy to treat your issues. Our lives don't stop when we suffer from anxiety and panic disorder, and the pressures our daily lives impose on us have to be our 'new normal' in order to function without medication.  I'd urge you not to throw out the idea of medication- a few months of drug therapy can help you, so long as you use it as part of treatment, and not a substitute for therapy.

Exercise is the single most effective thing to combat anxiety. It works 100% of the time. If you're not a health nut, making a life change by incorporating time for a walk each and every day will make you feel better in some way within a few days. This is the single and hardest part in dealing with anxiety; starting treatment. A daily walk is very effective treatment!
          There are many non-medical relaxation techniques for you to try, as well. You have to ID the ones that work for you, and the ones that don't. Everyone is different. Behavioral modification therapies also work well and are effective with or without medication. They don't work for everyone- there's a time commitment and the programs are self-guided but co-managed between you and your mental health professional, but they really worked for me!  I'm far healthier than I've been in years, but I've been in your shoes, feeling scared and alone and unsure...
    ...please remember that you're not alone. We're all here for our own reasons, but everyone here is here because this board helps in some way.

If I could give you one piece of practical advice, I'd suggest that you speak with a mental health professional- someone with experience in dealing with anxiety. Taking a practical approach to medication can help, but speaking to a mental health professional specifically TRAINED to deal with anxiety can really make a difference.
I just wanna thank you guys for your feedback I have seen a therapist before and it does help It always helps to talk to someone But then I think I'm fine stop going and then it all comes back to me  Medication hate taking them I would get the side effects Nausea dizzines Insomnia I just always have that look But I am gonna go back to that we need to get help And I also been going to the gym but I still get my anxiety I just get so frustrated I was on the pill that was working very well It's called pristiq I thought I finally Found the right 1 But I was wrong side effects I got it in like at all My sex drive dropped off the way down So I have to stop So now it's a waiting game I have an appointment november 15th therapist I wish I could get a sooner appointment Because my anxiety is so bad Especially when I'm sick how we think the worst And I also have a bad sinus problems so I was in my head
Something you can do yourself to relax the brain. Drink half glass of warm water, and do these breathing techniques, twice a day, keeping your eyes closed. Your feedback at some point will help others.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.

Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Repeat this  5 to 21 times.
September 27, 2011