Anxiety Community
23k Members
Avatar universal


Where in chicago could I get help or medications for anxiety and severe panic disorders?
1 Responses
Avatar universal
I don't know exactly where you live..in Chicago, suburbs of Chicago or what...but if you have insurance with a mental health program, just call them and ask them for someone that specializes in that area.  If you are Christian, there is a great place in Wheaton called The Meyer Clinic.  There are other Meyer Clinics in other suburbs too...go online.  You should first see a psychiatrist to get on the meds. if that is what you want to do.  Then, talk with a psychologist or social worker that specializes in anxiety/panic disorders...making sure that you ask about Cognitive Behavior Therapy.  I have been on effexor XR for my panic attacks for 6 years, and can honestly say that I may have them only about 2x a year now...and they are just passing.  I am sure the meds. help, but I also have learned not to fear the symptoms as much, so it takes a lot of the fear of having the attack away.  There is a great book you could read called HOPE AND HELP FOR YOUR NERVES by Claire Weekes.  Also...there is a new therapy, don't know too much about it..but I guess many people swear by it..it is Joe Barry's PANIC AWAY progream, which is downloaded off his website.  Good Luck!
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Avatar universal
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?