birth control pill causing anxiety/ depression??

I was just wondering if anyone has been on birth control pills and have suffered from anxiety or depression issues? I have been on the pill for 11yrs now and cant take how I am feeling anymore. I went on the pill for irregular periods, but since then I have been feeling blah, libido has decreased severely, I have sinus problems- I found out I have no allergies- so I think it is related to axiety, I worry constantly about everything; I get so nervous I get light headed sometimes. I thinkk I am going to try and stop the pills. I was just wondering if anyone had similar side effects from birth control pills. Thank you!
Thank you so much to everyone who has posted on here, it means so much to me to know I'm not alone and I'm not loosing my mind! I'm 30 and have been on the pill since the age of 16. I was first prescribed microgynon for about a year but had terrible headaches and break through bleeding so my Dr switched me to Loestrin 30; which I've taken for the last 13 years. Over the years I've become depressed and an obsessive, anxious worrier. I have no energy and my brain feels like it's hazy and I can't concentrate. Granted, I experienced some quite traumatic life events in my early-mid 20s, so I had always put how I was feeling down to this. However, over last few years things have been going really well in my life and I have everything to live for and be happy about, but I just haven't been able to shake the depression and constant feeling of dread and fear that something terrible will happen. I had never connected how I felt with the pill until my sister told me told a few weeks ago that she'd gone onto a new pill but had to change it as it turned her into an emotional wreck. Suddenly it dawned on me that the pill might effect mood, so I checked the side effects listed in my packet and sure enough depression was listed, so I googled anxiety and the pill and was amazed to find all your comments. I've discussed them with my incredibly supportive boyfriend of 10 years and we've agreed I'm not going to start my next course of pills at the end of this week. I'm really excited to see how I feel sans pill. I've been on it so long I can't really remember life before it! Maybe it's the cause of my problems, maybe it exaggerates them, or maybe it's not related at all, but whatever the case my boyfriend and I think it's worth a try, I'll keep you posted about how I get on! Thank you again for opening my eyes to the possibility!
I'm so glad I have seen your post. I too am 30, i was on Cilest for 10 years and then switched to Micrgynon. I literally feel like I have gone crazy and beyond the point of return. I have NO reason to be depressed or anxious, i have a wonderful husband and have just bought an amazing house. But I worry constantly to the point of feeling exhausted alot of the time and hazy. My worry all stems around my husband, i am obsessed with his past and constantly worry he will leave me/cheat/fancy other women. I have felt like this for over 2 years now but I am really embarrassed about how I think so can't tell anyone (except you guys)! My husband has been great and so patient but has come to his wits end which is making me even more anxious. I dont know what to do. I think about just disappearing all the time. I hope its my pill, but i'm almost scared to stop taking it incase I found out it's just me. I feel insane. I feel i have no happiness left within my soul. I ALWAYS feel like I am the only person in the world who thinks this way. Do you really think it could be the pill?? I hope you are all ok. x
Hey everyone,

This thread is very old, and very long.  I want everyone to get the benefit of replies and support from the forum, which often doesn't happen when you post on an older thread like this.  They get passed by for the newly started threads.

To get some input and support, please copy/paste your posts into a new thread.  You can do this by clicking on the orange "post a question" button on the top right of the page.

Generally speaking on the topic, hormonal contraceptives most DEFINITELY can cause anxiety.  Just think about it, hormones affect us in many different ways.  Just think of how your emotions can be all over the place at that time of the month.  That's a result of normal physiological fluctuations in our hormones, so imagine how a birth control product could potentially affect us?  The good news is, with time,. you will get back to normal, it just sometimes takes a while.  If you're fairly new to the BC med, it's a good idea to give it some time, as there can be an adjustment period, and those symptoms can resolve.  If after a couple of week the symptoms are bad, then call your doctor to discuss your options.

Good luck to you all!
I had the exact same experience!!!!

WHERE IS THE MALE BIRTH CONTROL???? WHY IS IT ONLY FEMALES WHO HAVE TO SUFFER THROUGH THIS, AND THE RESPONSIBILITY LEFT ON OUR SHOULDERS ALONE?
Are you still on the pill now or did you come off? Feel any better?

I'm going to go to my doctors asap.
Phew...so I 'm NOT the only one. I had taken birth control in the past and it made me sick, crazy, depressed, and so ugh about sex. I'm on it again more than 4 years later and the same thing even though I've only been taking it for a week. I know this doesn't sound smart but should I stop now or wait to see if it will regulate in my system?
Im so glad that I found this forum.
I have been on Rigevidon (cheaper version of micogynon) for 9months now. Within the last 5months I have progessively got more and more anxious. About EVERYTHING and anything!!! I have no self esteem, I am constantly worrying what other people think of me, wondering what my boyfriend must think of me. etc etc...its exhausting. Ive never been like this before, and I was beginning to worry that it was just me, and I was turning into a mental case! I have just stopped the pill so i am hoping that I will now go back to my normal happy go lucky self...would hate it if it just turns out that its me!! Im scared that after putting my boyfriend through so much that he will leave me. He has been so patient , I just hope I havent pushed him away.
I started having extreme anxiety and depression.  I did not know it was caused by the birth control. I thought I had an anxiety disorder.  The dr  wanted to put me on anti depressants, which only made it worse.  When I read this site I immediately quit taking the anti drepressants and the birth contro.  In a couple of months I started feeling better.  It has been about five months now and I am completely back to normal.  No more racing thoughts of fear.  No more panic.  No more up all night stressing.   I hate birth control and I never want my daughters to take it.  What an awful experience I had.  I just wanted to get back on here and let people know.......  quit taking the birth control.  It was ruining my life!   Soooooo happy I quit!
Thank you for your comment!  The exact same thing is happening to me.  Only weeks ago I was so in love and feeling secure and happy.  Now that I'm on Loestrin, I've had two periods in the span of two weeks, I'm agitated, depressed, anxious, irritable and I suddenly have this intense fear/perception that my boyfriend is losing interest in me and becoming distant.  I feel disconnected and abandoned when I don't think anything is actually wrong; I think he's actually just busy and stressed.  But my mind is telling me that everything is falling apart.  This pill is helping with my migraines so I want to stay on it but the bleeding and severe personality change are hugely problematic.  I spend all day trying to calm myself down because I feel so edgy and panicky.
Thank you--the same thing is happening to me on Loestrin and it's comforting to know that this really is all in my head.  It still feels real and I feel so agitated and anxious it's hard to get through my day.  I'm convinced that my boyfriend is pulling away and has lost interest in me and I feel like sobbing about it and I'm so angry with him for not showing me the attention I'm craving, when in fact I have no reason to think there's anything wrong other than that he's been really overwhelmed and busy and stressed lately.  I have always been a big fan of healthy space and respecting boundaries and maintaining independence but right now I feel so needy and insecure I want to cling to him for dear life.  I've resisted reaching out at all but I feel like I'm going crazy.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one going through these crazy feelings!

I used to take Trinessa, and it was a complete nightmare. I would cry SO hard, worry over every single little thing, and couldn't function normally -- it was a struggle to make myself go to class, be social, go to work, etc., and this isn't me at all.

After this, I went back to Lo-Loestrin, and it was pretty great. Light periods, no more crazy mood swings and depression, cleared up skin, and such, but it cost a lot more, so I went back to Loestrin FE.

So far, Loestrin FE has caused extremely similar mood problems to those I experienced on Trinessa. I can't wait to get off these crazy pills. It will be worth paying more for the Lo-Loestrin to not feel crazy anymore.

Loestrin FE, unlike Trinessa, only makes me feel awful when I miss pills or start the inactive pills for my period time. I can't begin to describe how terrible they make me feel. I cry explosively over nothing, experience racing thoughts, panicky breathing, feel worthless, have no motivation to do anything beyond getting up to go to the bathroom, and I will worry over things that would normally not bother me. For example, they are causing strains on my relationship because I will obsessively convince myself that my boyfriend is tired of me and wants to break up, even though we are totally fine and I've never had any sort of concern about him doing these things before. Luckily, he's a great guy and is understanding about what's happening, but I feel awful when I get this way nonetheless.

Since I've always been a pretty healthy/happy person, I don't see any other way this could be anything but these certain brands of birth control pills. I totally recommend giving Lo-Loestrin a try if you've had these mood swing problems with other brands. I feel pretty stable and normal on those, but they do cost a bit more. Even though Lo-Loestrin and Loestrin FE are the same brand name, something about Lo-Loestrin just works with my body chemistry better. It is the lowest amount of hormones available in a birth control pill, so I think that has a lot to do with it.

Good luck to everyone experiencing these problems!
Thank you for this forum.

I've been on the mini pill for 6 months now, its making me ill. I'm getting worse, im paranoid, I think all my friends are against me. Im constantly moody and irratable which is very unlike me. I'm not wanting to go to college and go to university because I feel down about myself, I sometimes think I'm better off dead? Which just is'nt me at all.. I think it's causing me to suffer from depression and I want to get it sorted before my grades suffer at college.
When I was 17 I went on ortho tri cyclen lo. I was on it for about 3 years. Over that span of time I must have put on about 15lbs. I felt uncomfortable in my body and I remember feeling glad to come off of the pill and swearing never to take it again... mostly it was just a distant memory. I started eating healthy foods and exercising. I dropped the extra weight and then some.
Two months ago I decided to start taking it again. My periods are intense the nausea and cramping over the first couple of days often rendered me useless at work and I figured it might give me some relief. My partner and I also wanted to give it a try and give condoms a rest. I'm 23 now and since beginning birth control I remember exactly why I swore I would never take them again.

The first month was horrible. I went to planned parenthood to get my pills and was told by the nurse that the tri cyclen lo would be good for me and I could start immediately if I wanted to rather than wait until my period or even start on a Sunday. I listened and started them at a time that was convenient for me right after I stopped taking a prescribed antibiotic. I had my period for an entire month. Severe cramping and bleeding. It was a miserable 4 weeks to say the least.
I just finished the 2nd pack and I won't be taking them anymore. I no longer have medical coverage and the pills end up being $120 a pack. Aside from that I am so depressed and withdrawn from everything. No matter what I try I just feel like I'm engulfed in sadness. I'm sick to my stomach constantly, tired, moody and disinterested. Whatever feelings I do seem to experience are strange. I recognize them yet feel detached from them. I have a complete lack of sex drive and feel bloated and uncomfortable. I can't justify spending $120 on something that has made me a completely different person in the worst way possible. Sex without condoms just isn't worth it for me. In fact I'd rather experience my usual awful cramping for a few days than be miserable indefinitely.  

I've read in a lot of places that birth control doesn't cause depression but in all honesty I must say that I disagree. What I have experienced cannot possibly be a normal or acceptable way to live one's life. I wish I would have paid more attention to my past experience with the pill instead of listening to other people's speculation about how it would affect my body. Health care professional or not, nobody knows your body like you do.

All these posts are so similar to what I've been going through. I went on Lutera about a year ago and at first there were no weird side effects except an increased appetite and my breasts got a lot bigger so I wasn't complaining! About 3-6 months ago, I didn't realize it but I started getting a lot more emotional and moody. My boyfriend and I had always had a good relationship with minor bickering but that was it but I started getting annoyed at almost everything he did. More recently I became so obsessed with the idea that he was cheating on me or doing all these sketchy things behind my back so I read his Facebook messages and we had a huge fight that lasted days and it was absolutely horrible. I would go from feeling so insecure and like I hated him to feeling completely loving towards him and it was such a rollercoaster, each day seemed like a complete 180. And even today, I went to my college class, got back home, and slept for almost 4 hours and in my next class, I was tearing up for the next 2 hours...I don't even know why. When it finally hit me that my bc could be causing my craziness a few weeks ago, I asked my boyfriend if he noticed any emotional/moodiness and he said definitely. I have an apt with my gyno in a few weeks to try and go on something else because I can't do this anymore. Overall I'm a pretty happy person and I literally feel insane sometimes. I'm crossing my fingers for something better.
I've only been on the pill for 3 days and i'm already showing signs of depression. I'm taking it for regularity rather than birth control and i'm not sure if i should keep using it or not. I've had exams for the past three days and I've failed all of them because of my non stop crying. I"M FAILING MY HSC!
I can completely relate to every single one of your guys' comments put together! I've been on the pill for a little over a year now, and I have been acting absolutely ridiculous. I've never been so needy in my life, especially with my boyfriend, and I'm constantly hostile to every person I talk to. I want my boyfriend to pay attention to me 24/7 and when he's not, I throw huge fits and childish temper tantrums. I'm constantly complaining about how I hate my life and how I'm so unhappy with everything all the time, and it progressively has been getting worse. I don't know what to do-I don't know if it's the pill that I am taking or if I'm seriously just a psycho.
I came across this site as my last hope.
I am currently on my 2nd pack of Lo Loestrin FE. I was previously on Loestrin and about several other brands in the last couple of years. Each time being told by the doctor to give them a couple of months- all with the same results. I have developed severe panic attacks, sleeplessness, thoughts of suicide, extreme anger/ rage, migraines,  forgetfulness and most recently severe hives all over most of my body at random times of the day. My face would begin itching so terribly I would sit at my desk crying, practically scratching the skin off my face. I thought I might have food allergies and tried different things, to no avail.  I wanted to attack everyone around me and had to pretty much talk myself down from many situations where thoughts of suicide were completely overwhelming. I literally sat in the food court of a local mall and contemplated jumping from 3 floors up and began to cry (while sitting there alone). I am a mother of 2 teenage sons and have been many years on BCP... I have never found one that I didnt feel absolutely terrible on- I don't want to live my life in a constant state of madness and decided 4 days ago to stop. I already feel happier, no night sweats, nightmares, there's no itching for 3 days now, I feel like I actually have a sex drive- and am human again. I am not sure what the next step is for me, but I cannot and will not continue my life like this and hurting people around me-
I have been on Tri-Cylen Lo for 1.5 years now. I am 23 years old. I was always a very level-headed, chill person until I started taking birth control. The effects were barely noticeable at the beginning...it was almost a gradual build up of anxiety up to what it is today. Currently, I have  no interest in seeing my friends, I get anxiety leaving the house, and if anyone asks anything about me personally, I started to cry uncontrollably. I can't handle social situations at all unless with those who are most close to me. I used to be much more of an independent person. Also, within a year of taking the pill, my eyesight has worsened dramatically (leaving the eye doctor completely baffled, it's like nothing he's seen before!). I went to the doctor's to talk about switching to the copper iud since it's hormone-free. The doctor said that it wasn't the birth control pill that was causing these symptoms and prescribed me another hormonal bc pill. I don't think I'll even risk trying this new pill. I'm sick of being trapped within my own hormonal mind and need to get back to my happy self. I plan to keep searching for a doctor who will listen to my concerns.
I too am so glad i found this site! Ive been on Microgynon 30 since my teens, im now 25. I went back on it after pregnancy and then a couple years later I came off it because I was suffering with anxiety, which was because of circumstances but I'm now thinking the pill could have exasperated it. I had a break from it for a few months and went back on it when I began to feel better. For the past 18 months- 2 years I have been taking back to back packs, 3 in a row equalling 63 pills and then a 7 day break (missing 2 periods). I had heard of others doing this to skip their periods and further help with PMS symptoms and asked my nurse if this was safe and she said it was absolutely fine and she recommended I do this.
I've had bad PMS for the past 2-3 years, including uncontrollable crying and anger, depression (usually at the time of the month) severe migraines and low sex drive. My sex drive is now completely non existent which has caused big problems in my relationship with my fiance. I thought there was something wrong with me and he has thought that I'm not attracted to him anymore, which is not the case.. I just physically have not felt like sex AT ALL!
It has got to the point we haven't had sex in over 2 months! He has also said he feels I'm emotionally withdrawn and harder to live with because in arguments or disagreements I've got out of control rage and uncontrollable crying and I don't even know why. Also the past 6 months I've become extremely anxious. I worry about EVERYTHING! About what people think, about my job, comparing myself all the time to other people, even strangers. Its seriously gotton me down. I also freak out about the most insignificant silly things, only realising afterwards how much stress ive put myself through.
I've been to the doctor and she has suggested having the non-hormonal coil but since hearing peoples bad experiences with that aswel as the pill I've decided to come off all birth control. My fiance agrees, he doesn't want me to have the risks or even have to go through the procedure of a coil when it may not even work out and we will have to use condoms.
I am on day 3 of not taking my pill, I've stopped mid pack. I just want the hormones out of my body as quickly as possible. I feel at peace of mind already knowing I'm not the only one in this situation.
I'm a little apprehensive about my first period, coming off the pill which hasn't started yet. But I am convinced now that hormonal birth control is not for me.
I know you posted this 3 years ago but can you PLEASE give me an update on how you are doing??? I have the EXACT SAME STORY. Sprintek, married, bought a house... Please let me know what you did to recover and how long it took....
THANK-YOU
I have my normal pill check on Monday and am going to question the pill. Am 40 and felt soooo anxious recently it (well, for the last few years!) it keeps me awake at night and I worry about my teenage son all the time.  I also feel completely detached emotionally from new husband and any friends. I did come off it for a while and it made no difference but willing to give another try!  Help!!!!!!
My story is not as bad as many of the others on here... kudos to all of you who made it through these BC pill horror stories! I am doing a little research to see if my evening sadness/ moodiness is due to my birth control. I've been on Generess fe for a little over a year and a half now. It has worked great and I've not realized any huge side effects. The past few months I have been a little more emotional and grumpy than I'd like to be. However, it often only surfaces in the evening. I am a morning person 100%, I love knowing a full day is ahead of me. When evening approaches my mind cannot stop racing of all of the things I could've done that I didn't, or how my boyfriend should've called to hang out with me after work and many other unreasonable things that should not make me that upset! I cry myself to sleep some nights, and I absolutely hate it. I too feel like I go "crazy" with my boyfriend sometimes too. My instances just don't sound as severe as the rest of the stories I've read. Do any of you have any input or similar feelings? I don't want to get off the pill if it isn't necessary, because so far it has been a great contraceptive. Advice PLEASE!
Lately I've been in a deep depression and all of a sudden I snapped on my family members and my companion I've been dating off and on for 16 years. I have been on Lo Loestrin since November of last year and it seens like each month I have a new symptom.  It has gotten to the point where no one wants to be around me at all.  I've also had sucidial thoughts feels like no one understands me.  When I wasn't taking birth control I wasn't this bad off.  Yes I get depressed, but usually I snapped out of it quick.
Hey ladies! I'm eighteen years old and yes I'm sexually active. I started on LOLO about thirteenth days ago. and it has made me feel horrible: anxious depressed, and extremely sick.it nothing short of *****. Has anyone else had these symptoms on a low does birth control?  
This is so relieving... Obviously I have been going through the same thing. I'm 21 and I just started Lyrna this month.  The Wednesday before I was supposed to start my period on the pack everything started to hit the fan. I have been dating my boyfriend for 4 years and I have always been completely in love with him. I know this might sound like bragging but he is literally perfect ladies. He is everything that I have wanted in a man and more.  But on that Wednesday I woke up obsessing over the fact that I might not love him anymore and have been throwing the thought of breaking up with him and the thought of marrying him doesn't excite me anymore when the day before that was all I would day dream about.  So since then I have been obsessing over the thought of whether I want to or not. LIKE I CANT TURN MY MIND OFF. When I think that I do I have an anxiety attack and start going through deep depression.  I just can't imagine my life without him and the thought of him with someone else makes me sick.  But then I have these weird thoughts of how relieving it would be if he broke up with me... its like my mind is playing tricks on me.  Then yesterday I was with him and everything was perfectly normal but then those thoughts would haunt me again and I would think to myself that "I don't love him anymore." I do love him so much but I don't know why I'm obsession over all this.  Also I haven't been able to eat.  Putting one morsel of food in my mouth makes me gag and I have been force feeding myself for the past two weeks.  My family has even been noticing that I haven't been eating enough.  I have just lost all my appetite because I am so worried about my feelings.  I just haven't been feeling myself at all. I had to call off two days of work because I couldn't keep my composure and today I lost it at my desk and my supervisor had to pull me aside to calm me down. I have stopped taking the pill but I was wondering if anyone knows how long it will take for me to get back to normal. I really can't live like this anymore I'm drowning in my thoughts and I just want to be happy and normal again.HELP!
I can relate to all of this completely. It's a horrible feeling, I just quit my birth control yesterday. I know this was posted a while ago but I wanted to see if things improved for you?
So glad to have found this forum! I started taking Sprintec 10 months ago and almost immediately began going crazy. I was paranoid my boyfriend was cheating on me, I got super clingy. Never in my life had I felt this way. A few months agol, I became very anxious and depressed. Suicidal thoughts crossed my mind constantly. I couldn't take it anymore. I was no longer the same happy person I had always been. I tried finding excuses to not be around anyone but my boyfriend. I refused to make new friends and I was afraid of talking to people. My whole life revolved around my depression and anxiety. It was becoming very unhealthy. It was not until a month ago when I decided to really do something about this. Sprintec basically destroyed my being and I needed a change. I talked to my doctor and just recently I switched to the IUD Skyla. Ever since switching, my mood has changed back to its normalcy. My depression and anxiety are no longer present. I am back to my old self. I highly recommend getting Skyla, particularly for all of you ladies who are suffering from severe mood changes as a result of Sprintec.
I am SO GLAD I finally read this thread. I started Ortho Tri Cyclen 3 1/2 months ago in hopes of taming my acne. Despite my doctor and dermatologist claiming that Ortho Tri Cyclen was totally safe and practically guaranteed to decrease acne, it only got WORSE as well as making me incredibly anxious and depressed. I've stopped wanting to socialize, go to classes, or even leave my room. I've gained weight. I haven't wanted to go anywhere, I don't want to try new things, and nothing seems to make me laugh or feel happy. On top of that, I've just felt like crying all of the time. I kept thinking the problem was something I was doing wrong, so it is a relief to hear that the only thing I've done wrong is taking the pill.

I have *never* had any sort of depression, but these past few months have been crippling; both to my self esteem (acne related) and my overall moral. Like so many women before me on this post have said: I WANT MY LIFE BACK! I plan to stop taking the pill, and hopefully by doing so I'll finally feel normal again.  
Finding this forum has been so relieving!
My story is that I started Microgynon back in June 2014 but swapped after two months to Yasmin when I noticed my skin broke out in spots.
I was then on Yasmin for about 3/4 months but took 2 packs back to back, had a break week, then did another 2 packs back to back to avoid a period on special occasions. And it was on a special a occasion that my mind just suddenly switched.

I was having a romantic dinner for my birthday with my boyfriend ( had be going out for a year at this point) in November 2014. And all over a sudden like you, Collegegirl92, horrible thoughts started racing through my head 'Do I love him anymore? Do we have a future together? Is there any point?' All alongside an empty feeling in my stomach, much like being nervous or anxious. This came completely out of NOWHERE. I am utterly in love with my boyfriend and we plan to move in together in the next year which is obviously exciting and a first for me. The reason I know these emotions, anxieties, moods are not my own is because my rational conciousness is fighting to get rid of them and I'm able, some of the time, to know the difference from my own emotions and these intrusive horrible thoughts. But these thoughts, none the less, hinder my mood and outlook on a daily basis.

I swapped to Loestrin mid November, known for not causing as strong an emotional response and to begin with, felt ok, but not 100% like myself.

By Christmas 2014, having gone home to spend the holidays with my parents, being away from my boyfriend made me crazy. Our phonecall on Christmas day had me in tears because I missed him so much. For someone who was a month before having intrusive thoughts about the 'status' of their relationship, i was now being needy and clingy wanting him to phone me all the time.

My mind now, Feb 2015, has reverted back to those thoughts of how much do I love him, how much am i attracted to him? Whilst i miss him intensely (we live in different cities at the moment) and I look forward to seeing him every weekend, These conflict of emotions is really taking its toll. I am emotionally stable, I'm not going to do anything drastic, but i do not feel like my normal self, and hate myself for not feeling overwhelmed with passion and love for my boyfriend like i did before - and i miss it!

Im just about to start my 4th back of Loestrin as many pamphlets/other pill users/doctors/nurses/websites say that symptoms tend to subsided after 6 months of continuous use (and i have not stuck out a brand of pill for more than 3-4 months) so i truly am hoping for the best. If it continues on like this, my boyfriend and I have said that we will return to condoms, begrudgingly.

To add insult to injury, the pill has decreased my sex drive which hasn't gone unnoticed by myself or boyfriend and only adds to the whole 'do i love him anymore?' thought if i'm struggling to get into the mood to be intimate. But i can see a connection between starting the pill the and down spiral of sex drive and depressive mood within myself.

All in all, the pill isn't what its cracked up to be. Yes, its there to prevent pregnancy and that's all it claims to do, but all these added side effects are just not worth it.
1. Spotting mid pill pack that last longer than the break week bleed! effectively 2 periods a month
2. Depressive mood and intrusive thoughts. Who knew that the pill could put specific thoughts into your head, and not just an overall feeling of melancholy.
3. Loss in sex drive. Kind of defeats the whole point of being on the pill if you don't want to be intimate! Also, maybe not much information, but the ability to self lubricate when aroused as gone, not helping with the whole intimacy issue.

You would think all these things would amount for me wanting to stop the pill straight away, but like i said, i am going to give it one last go and at least reach 6 months continuous use and see if anything changes. I just can't believe there isn't a wider knowledge, awareness or discussion about what the pill can really do to a womens body. The whole putting on weight, bigger boobs and spots is nothing compared to the actually emotional turmoil all these artificial hormones do to the mind.
YES MOST DEFINITELY! I just started a new birth control pill and I had an extreme anxiety attack yesterday. My boyfriend was scared and I was panicked. I stopped my pill immediately and refuse to take it. I will just abstain from sex. No pill is worth my mental state at all. My boyfriend and I are just super careful. If you are worried about the the condom breaking or so then you can always check to make sure the condom didn't break by filling it with water once you are done. If it has a leak or a tear then you know you need to get plan B ASAP.
Thank you so much for posting this! I just started JOLIVETTE because my previous birth control had my blood pressure really high. I am having the same feeling. Do I WANT MY BOYFRIEND ANYMORE? I can't even lay down without feeling like I can't sleep. THE PILL really isn't worth it at all. I have had so many issues that me and my boyfriend chose to abstain completely from sex. It isn't worth it to us. My whole mental and emotional state has been trashed and  I AM working hard to get back on track. I totally agree with everything you said. They don't describe or explain the side effects too much and I think they should emphasize that more.
Thank you so much your story makes me feel like I am not going through this alone. I am on the same BC as you and 3 months in I cant stop crying. I stopped taking my pill today does anyone know how long it takes for these feeling to go away?
Reading everyone's comments has been so helpful!  Between the way I feel and reading all of these stories, I decided to go off of birth control two days ago.  I've been taking it for about 8 months, first I took lo loestren fe for about 3 months, and then gildess fe 1/20 for the last 5 because my insurance didn't cover lo loestren.  At first, I felt completely normal (minus being slightly moodier around my period but I didn't really think it was the pill at the time) but since starting gildess, everything has slowly been changing.  I've always been a relatively anxious person, almost a hypochondriac, but over the past five months I went from occasionally worrying about my health to it being a constant obsession.  Every time I felt a small pain anywhere in my body I would immediately think the worst and then almost fall into a panic attack about the possibility of me dying or that I was without a doubt going to get really sick all of a sudden.  Which is ridiculous, I'm a healthy 21 year old woman with no medical problems! I've also felt chest tightness and tension on and off for the last month that I've been on the pill.  My anxiousness had started giving me physical discomfort even when I didn't feel very panicky.  

I've been off of it for two days now and I already feel much more like myself.  I still feel the anxiousness in my chest a little, but I'm hoping and praying that that will go away with time.  So lesson learned, my body and hormones are not worth messing with.  The negative effects of the pill surely seem to outweigh the positive.  
This has helped me a great deal, thank you for sharing your stories!
I have been on microgynon for around 4 months and for the first few months I didn't really notice any changed, I actually loved my pill as it helped with period cramps and regulated my periods. However, last month I skipped my pill free week due to a vacation, and around the time I should've had it I began to feel really anxious for no reason, cry at the drop of a hat, didn't feel like going out with my friends even though I'd had it planned for ages  and actually began to have heart palpitations. Then a few days later I started to feel the opposite, instead of feeling over emotional I felt slightly numb and began to question whether I loved my boyfriend even though we were actually having a lot of fun at the time and there was nothing to trigger the thoughts. Then I became obsessed with these thoughts and began analysing everything, making myself feel sick as I started to believe that I wasn't attracted to him, didn't love him and he was just annoying me beyond belief. However I knew these thoughts weren't rational because on the rare occasion I could relax I knew that I loved him just as strongly as ever. I began to think I had become depressed and was putting pressure on my relationship due to a stressful time at university, but this didn't satisfy me I couldn't fully accept that I would be feeling so bad because of stress. The emotional rollercoaster of obsessive thoughts, over emotion and numbness carried on for a few weeks until my mum suggested it might be the pill and I started doing research into it.
I discontinued my birth control around 3 days ago and I'm already seeing differences - I can think clearly and know how I actually feel rather than how my hormones made me feel. I'm not 100% yet obviously as it will take time but even knowing that there's a possibility I wasn't bonkers made me feel so much happier.
Looking back, I was never fully the same even in the first few months when I "liked" the pill. Now I think about it I got mad over things I never usually would, spent less time with my friends and family, didn't want to have sex with my boyfriend, took a lot of time off college due to not being able to face it, basically became a recluse. At the time these were not drastic enough especially since I've always been moody but looking back I wasn't myself
Good luck to anyone suffering, it WILL get better. I suggest coming off of your pill, even if it's just a break from it to see if that really is the problem. If you can't live without it after your break try a different pill :) x
seriously, all of you women and all of these comments have changed my life.
I take tri cyclen lo, I had been on tri cyclen for 4 years when I was 19 and it was GREAT. And then off the pill for 4 years. And now on it again for 5 months and it HAS RUINED MY LIFE! Depression and anxiety is normal in my family as it is for most millennials these days and I have learned how to deal with them quite well. But the extreme extreme depression and extreme anxiety that I have been experiencing these past few months has been out of this world! I have been moody, snapping on my friends, crying for no reason, mildly self-destructive, extremely sad, scared of everything, skeptical of my boyfriend, mean to my family and I had no idea what was happening to me. I won't be taking my pill tonight and I'm giving up on them for good. Only thing I'll miss is the boob enhancement it gave me haha!
Thank you everyone for sharing! This (8 year old!) forum is such a blessing and thank God for the internet! I finally know what's wrong with me, I feel like I have a new lease on life!
Hi ladies! I am so so so relieved to have found this forum. My experience has been a little bit different than the rest of yours, but I know it's rooted in the same problem - the fake hormones. Earlier this summer I took Plan B for the first time, and was perfectly normal (I didn't even experience too many side effects), but low and be hold, three weeks later I experienced everything everyone here has been talking about. I had the most severe panic attacks I have ever had. I couldn't sleep at all, and would go days without sleep. The insomnia was terrifying. I was exhausted, but for some reason my body wouldn't cooperate. The racing/irrational thoughts, and tingling in my extremities made me feel like I was losing my mind. This went on for about two weeks, and got slightly better, but was still pretty awful. I suspected it was the Plan B's hormones, but I was not sure, so thinking it would be a good idea to start regulating my hormones to fix this, I got on birth control (Microgestin). MISTAKE. The entire time I have taken BC (1 and 1/2 months), I have felt tired/hazy/not myself/depressed. It made the panic attacks go away, but I still feel mild anxiety around when I go to sleep, so I have been taking over the counter sleeping meds religiously. Today is the first day that I am not going to take it, but I am so stressed and worried that I am going to go through what happened after Plan B. I am starting my first semester of my Sophomore year in college, and I really hope it doesn't affect my grades/life. I wish that I had never taken ANY of the pills. I was so mentally healthy and stable before, and now I feel like a complete wreck. Please wish me luck, because I know it's going to be a long road ahead of me.
UPDATE 1: So I've decided to regularly update my progress/regress as I detox my body of BC. Hopefully, some girl out there panicking about when the anxiety will stop will find some sort of comfort in this, because I know an organized & well-documented timeline of when this will end would really benefit me. It has been three days since I have stopped taking BC, and I got my period and so far have been experiencing medium anxiety levels. Not full blown panic attacks, but higher anxiety levels compared to how anxious I felt on BC. In an attempt to preemptively prevent another meltdown, I took the advice from this forum to purchase Plum Flower Free & Easy Wanderer teapills. So far they were a fantastic investment. After taking the recommended dosage (8 pills), I genuinely felt better.
I was on birth control for over 10 years ... I am currently 29 I have been off my pills now for two years and have been trying to have kids with no luck. Girls beware, do not take the pills for that long unless you NEVER want to have kids.
I am SO glad other people have had similar experiences. So I've been taking birth control for years but this past summer, out of nowhere I had a crazy panic attack and I ended up in the ER because I had no clue what was happening. After that, I had three weeks of absolutely crippling anxiety and depression. I couldn't physically make myself smile and I also couldn't stop crying no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't sleep but I layed in bed all the time because I was miserable. I've always been incredibly normal and never had anything like this happen so I didn't understand how I all of a sudden developed anxiety especially when I was at the happiest point in my life. I started back to college and I almost took the semester off because I thought I was going crazy and I couldn't handle it. After one week of being on campus, I started to feel like my old self again. I went to the doctor one week after my panic attack because I couldn't stop being anxious 24/7 and she told me that panic attacks throw your body out of wack and it takes a few weeks for your body to level back out to baseline. So I knew it'd go away and when it did I was so relieved! But then after feeling completely normal for 2 weeks, all of a sudden out of nowhere the anxiety hit me, just not as bad. I then realized that it just so happened the 2 weeks I felt normal, I was off my birth control because I couldn't get them. Then the anxiety just so happened to come back when I started taking them again, so I pretty much just came to the conclusion that it is most likely the pills. So I am definitely going to get off them for good. It ***** because I have such heavy periods and painful cramps but I would SOOO much rather deal with that than anxiety!!!
I am taking the same birth control and the SAME thing happened to me! I had been on it before, then got back on it and it was okay the first couple of months but then it got bad. I didn't even THINK the crazy anxiety and depression was my birth control until one time I didn't take it for 2 weeks because I couldn't get it, and I felt totally myself for the first time in 3 weeks I wasn't anxious at all! Then when I took it again, all of a sudden I was anxious again. Needless to say, I'm getting off of it for good.
I literally feel like i'm insane! and I feel so horrible that my bf has to put up with it. i literally feel so on edge when i'm not with him. I am always anxious and irritable and I can't sleep anymore unless I'm either with my bf or basically so exhausted I can't keep ,my eyes open. I am questioning my every thought and emotion and am so moody. I feel like a psycho! I'm on Minastrin 24 Fe right now and am thinking of switching to the shot. the first month of the pill was horrible, I threw up all the time and had headaches and was super horny. The second and third month I started having anxiety and depression setting in. Now this month I can barely function! Anyone else feel this way. I've also noticed OCD like behavior.
oh my god, I can't believe someone feels exactly the same as I do. I felt so alone until i found this forum and read this comment. I have the same problems. I've been with my bf for 6 months now, i've started taking BC when we were approx. 2 months together. The start of our relationship was great, we both felt great in it i was so happy, never cared bout his female friends, didnt mind if we didnt talk for 3 hrs, he was always willing and wanting to see me.., but as soon as I started taking BC i literally turned into a psycho gf. At first it wasnt that noticable but now its getting so out of control that its making us both crazy. I turned into a monster, i crave his attention litteraly 24/7, am so jealous at every single female who just looks at him, i beg him for his attention so much that its making him crazy, he even lost the interest of seeing me that often or invite me anywhere because im so clingy and always beg him to go somewhere with me ofc he wants his free time with friends etc.. Its starting to ruin our relationship. I am so hormonal I dont even know myself anymore.  taught I was crazy but now i finally know that im not alone in this. Now im 100% sure to blame the pill for my attention cravings,anxiety etc. because i never craved this much attention from any other boyfriend i had( this is my first time using BC), i have never had anxiety nor do I have low self- esteem. So I went off the pill, its the second day and I hope things will start to change
It's a bit overwhelming the number of women reporting the same symptoms isn't it?!  I'm on here because my own health is declining and i've been looking for a connection.  As well as the anxiety symptoms which people are reporting I have chronic stomach issues and i'm really keen to hear if other women using the contraceptive implant or pill are experiencing the same conditions.  I have never suffered with IBS before.  I've been using the implant since 2011 and steadily over the past three years my symptoms have worsened to the point where i am now gluten intolerant and possibly unable to digest lactose too.  I suffer with bloating, stomach pain (most / everyday) an inability to tolerate certain foods, such as roasted potatoes and meats, wind and crazy gurgling sounds and poor bowel movements...if this sounds similar to your experience i'd love to hear from you...I'm seriously considering removing my implant just to see if there really is a connection with both my anxiety levels and my IBS symptoms
yes .. talk to doc and get off pill im assuming. I am currently going through the same thing and its killing me.. im planning on getting off
Reading all these comments gives me such relief. I've had the implant since April 2015 and around the beginning of July I started suffering from stomach pains. Another two months after that, I had my first panic attack, then two more, and then started becoming depressed. Mind you I have never had depression or anxiety EVER in my life, so when it came out of nowhere  I didn't know how to cope. I even saw a therapist and was prescribed Xanax because my anxiety became worse. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me then I realized it could possibly be my birth control. I have not had any changes in my life, I exercise and eat well. So I'm thinking the nexplanon is the culprit! Ladies stay away from this implant! I'm getting it removed in a few days and I can't wait to be back to my old self!
It's been so helpful reading these answers, it's made me feel like I am not alone with the way I'm feeling. But opposite to most of you feeling depressed whilst taking the pill, how have you felt after stopping it? It's been 10 days since I took my last pill, it was the end of the packet so I saw no harm in stopping there. The reason I stopped was because my sex drive was plummeting and I thought another method would be easier. I had my period as normal, maybe 2/3 days after I stopped taking the pill. In the last maybe 6 days I have not stopped shaking. I'm having extreme anxiety about death. These panic attacks have been the worst thing I've ever experienced. I'm only 17 and had only taken the pill for 3 months but now I feel like I'm going insane. My mum thinks that it's the imbalance of hormones and I really hope it is because I can't cope with these thoughts. Everything I see or do I get these feelings. When will it stop? Has anyone had this same reaction? I haven't been able to eat either, I'm suffering with extreme stomach pains, diarrhea and headaches but most importantly it's my mind that's going insane. I just want my normal self back. I felt so happy a week ago and now I don't know what's happening. It's extremely hard to put up with especially with living with my boyfriend even though he's the only thing keeping me sane. Planning on seeing a GP in the next few days. Please let me know if you've ever felt this same way!
Oh my God. This is exactly what I am going through... My side effects/symptoms started almost exactly a month after I started taking the pill. I started getting dizzy and then diarrhea and nausea came the next day, by the third day I couldn't eat at all and I was barely getting enough water in me. I went to the hospital and all of my tests came back perfect. They told me it was probably just a stomach virus. So I waited and waited and the symptoms barely stopped. Still extremely dizzy but the nausea went away. I now have this weird feeling in my stomach like nothing digests and I feel really gassy but it never subsides. For the past week I've been suffering extreme anxiety and panic attacks -- My mom keeps trying to reassure me that it's only my birth control because the tests came back so good. -- I think something is severely wrong with me and that if I don't go to the doctors I'm going to die.. It's honestly the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life.. I've never felt depressed or anxious like this. I've always been a really happy and bubbly person and now all I do is worry. It's absolutely horrifying and I hope my doctor tells me that it's only the birth control and that I should get off of it.
Hello. Not sure if you'll still see this but I felt the exact same way. Everything you said was on point. I'm wondering how you are feeling now?
Hi there, currently feeling these exact symptoms that you are 6 weeks after coming off the pill! Was wondering if these symptoms have been relieved and do you feel better? Any response would be appreciated
I stopped taking the pill(ortho-cyclen) last July because of issues with optum RX and my pharmacy not being able to carry the prescription anymore. A couple weeks later I began to have anxiety attacks, and I didn't make the connection at the time. I later started to noticeably lose my appetite;still not linking stopping the birth control with my problems. This continued for the whole summer, and I built up more anxiety about my loss of appetite. I'm only around 107 pounds so this was a major cause for concern. In the beginning of October I got depressed and started having suicidal thoughts for no reason. This is when I made the connection finally-I knew it had to be my hormones gone haywire after stopping the daily dose on birth control. I started to take the birth control again (ortho cyclen) and started to feel a little better and not so sensitive to knives and running in front of cars at least. It's December now, and after a lot of initial brain fog and headaches from starting the pill again, I have been on a hormonal roller coaster. Some days I feel like myself again and other days I get really anxious and start having suicidal thoughts. I know this isn't me and I just have to keep reminding myself that this will pass. I'm going to the doctor on the 30th to get my thyroid and hormones checked out. I just hope that I will be back to my old self soon. It seems like such a long time ago, even though it was just 6 months ago. You know yourself the best which is why you must see multiple doctors to find the right one, that doesn't downplay your feelings. Don't lose hope because it will get better and you are not crazy! Birth control affects emotions and your whole body in a drastic way, which is why stopping it or starting it can be really tough.
p.s I'm 19 now,and started birth control when I was 16. I never had any noticeable mental problems with it until stopping it and going back on it. I will ask Doctor if it would be better to stop it again( which I don't want to do because my depression will get worse and I don't want to take antidepressants. )
i am Bella Tina, from USA, I promise to share this testimony all over the world once my Husband return back to me, and today with all due respect i want to thank dr.olu for bringing joy and happiness to my relationship and my family. I want to inform you all that there is a spell caster that is real and genuine. I never believed in any of these things until i loosed my husband, I required help until i found a great spell caster, And he cast a love spell for me, and he assured me that I will get my husband back in two days after the spell has been cast. Three days later, my phone rang, and so shockingly, it was my husband who has not called me for past 6 months now, and made an apology for the heart break, and told me that he is ready to be my back bone till the rest of his life with me. Dr olu, released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him. And opened his eyes to picture how much we have share together. As I`m writing this testimony right now I`m the most happiest girl on earth and me and my husband is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up. So that`s why I promised to share my testimony all over the universe. All thanks goes to Dr,olu for the excessive work that he has done for me. Below is the email address in any situation you are undergoing a heart break, and I assure you that as he has done mine for me, he will definitely help you too.contact him now on email ***@**** or call +2348104244364
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dream
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
Contact him today for your help and you will be happy for ever.
I'm a guy, but I would like to share my story about my girlfriend and her experiences on the pill. We have been friends since high school and we first got together about three years ago, she was kind, caring, loving and sociable - everyone who met her fell in love with her, including me.

For eight months, our jobs meant that we had to be in different states and only see each other two or three times a month, but during this time she still managed to make me the happiest man on earth. Finally I was able to move states to live with her, and for one blissful month everything was perfect. We both got tested, and then she started to take birth control pills so that we would no longer have to fumble with condoms.

Over the course of the next few month, my sweet, kind, loving girl turned into an insecure, withdrawn, unhappy jealous person completely alien to me. It was as if she had turned into a completely different person. She was paranoid about my every move, and constantly accused me of cheating on her, wanting to leave her and not loving her. She became needy and unpleasant to be around, it was as of I didn't know her anymore. She also became angry at the smallest thing, and believed close friends and family were out to get her, and even became troubled with suicidal thoughts.

After about 9 months of struggling to make this work (I really did love her and had moved states and quit my job to be with her) I finally could take it no more and made the hardest decision of my life to leave her. It was an incredibly painful time for both of us, but we just couldn't carry on living that way.

I cared deeply about her and desperately wanted her to be ok, so we kept in contact after the separation. She stopped taking the pill after I left, and it was as if I had my wonderful sweetheart back again. I was very wary of trying again, even though I wanted to, in case it was me that caused these feelings in her. A female friend suggested that the pill could be to blame as she had had a similar experience and that is how I found this website. after four months had passed, we saw each other again and it was just as it had been before. It seemed almost too good to be true, so we agreed to take things slowly. But things were so good that I proposed to her a few months later, and now we are expecting our first baby in November this year. I wanted to share our story so that other couples out there don't give up hope ans so that these terrible pills don't have the chance to ruin any more happy relationships.
Thanks to all of you who have shared your experiences. I was not able to relate the changes in my life to the BC pill until lately when I found myself with anxiety and at the edge of losing control and fear of having a panic attack due to being suffocated, not able to breath, in a confined place and suffered symptoms of Claustrophobia (irrational fear of confined places like subway, trains, elevators). I started tri-cyclen-lo 4-5 months ago. I can relate to many of the experiences you have shared.