A
A
A
Close
Anxiety Community
23k Members
513079 tn?1211290214

effexor xr

hi there, I have recently gone cold turkey on two medications, effexor xr and lorazepam...I know I should have tapered off, but now I am on day 5 without the anti depressant and 2 wks without the sleeping pill. I started to do this only because i have been having an allergic reaction to something? and therefore was elimating certain foods/odours then it came down to meds...I am really only suffering with a bad back and muscle soreness...I am a personal trainer, so the aches are getting me down, but I tried going off the lorazepam last year and it was much worse. Should I continue going cold turkey now that the time has been invested? I am afraid I will go crazy if someone/thing upsets me, but I have so hated being addicted to medications.
1 Responses
I always advise NEVER to stop any medication like an antidepressant and a benzo.  I really cannot give advise about whether you should go back on it as I am not a doctor, but I would definately call your doctor ASAP.  In my opinion, you can really do much more harm to your prognosis with anxiety and depression by coming off of this cold turkey; and depending how long and how much you were taking it can be dangerous.

Why do you think you were addicted to the medications?  Were you taking more than prescribed?  I used to be EXTREMELY against any forms of medication, but I am now a proponent of them as long as it is combined with talk therapy.  Please keep us posted.
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?