extreme weakness in legs and arms

Hello ,
For the last 6  months I was feeling very bad ... My mayor symptom was some dizziness spells like jerking sensation. I ve seen many doctors , had many test done ( even an MRI ) . Everything came back normal . So the doctors told me that it could be depression . I kept waiting to feel better without any medicine . (  since I ve a 6 months old baby and I am still breastfeeding I can not use medicines ) . But I ve never felt normal again.
10 days ago I ve started feeling weakness on my legs ( both ) . ( something I ve never experienced before ) . Since that they , I feel extreme weakness and tiredness in my legs and arms . It starts in the morning and lasts till I go to bed. I never wake rested . I feel very mild spasm and twitching on my muscles  . I feel better while seating or liying down . I feel like I am going to pass out .
I am really concerned about this weakness .
so here are my questions :
1 ) can this be a different side of anxiety  ?
2 ) Have you ever experienced some jerking sensation ? ( like someone behind you was pushing you forward ? )
I am now worrying about these . I am afraid of having something like ALS , or MS ...
Thank you very much.
I've been feeling very week myself. Sometimes my legs feel so weak its hard to walk downstairs. I HATE internet symptom checkers. I was convinced this past week that I was having gallbladder issues because of a small cramp under my ribs. Even though a gallbladder attack would cause severe debilitating pain I still was convinced that's what it was. And funny enough in the symptoms list anxiety disorder and panic attacks came up. The worst thing to do when you have anxiety is to check your symptoms online because anxiety will automatically pick the worst diagnosis and convince you that you have it.
I too have had all these symptoms, and my question is: How do you Stop the pain?
I should have written YOUR post?  My only fear is that the answer we will get is "pills."  What I need to know is  How do I get to the bottom of what is CAUSING THIS?

I hope I don't miss any answers because I desperately need to hear SOMETHING!
You mentioned you were breastfeeding...I think it could be postpartum depression.  You can read more about it here.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postpartum_depression

I think I may be suffering from general depression, and I have pains in my legs, and have been very lethargic as well...
To all you anxiety sufferers...we are in this together. I have suffered from on/off anxiety for many years. Until recently it seemed to go away pretty quick. I am 44 year old female, very active and fit. Anxiety doesn't discriminate, it can make life miserable for anyone. I like many of you have had frightening symtons, we then worry alot. I have been experiencing severe bilateral leg weakness and arm weakness for a couple weeks now. Gets really bad when I try to do anything that requires even a little exercise. I get so weak that my legs feel like i am goin to collapse and then I feel weak all over. This does not have to happen just isolated to an anxiety attack, it seems that this is the aftermath symtoms that stick with us throughout the day for many days until our anxiety calms down. Anybody feeling the same with the legs, any burning sensations behind the neck and arms?
I have the feeling of weakness in both legs and arms.  Legs seem to be worse.  I keep saying, "I hope there isn't a fire because I will just have to sit here and burn up!  I am not sure my legs will hold me to walk,  much less run!"

I am fresh off a prednisone taper as well, and I am trying to convince myself that some of this is side effects.  

Does anyone have any magic for dealing with this anxiety?  What works?     Is everyone on some medication?  If so, what?  

I am needing some input!
Thanks to ALL of you!
What would you feel like if you tried to go out and do a fast paced walk when your legs are so weak and shaky? If I did that right now it would cause not only my legs but my whole body feeling like I would die with severe weakness. I can not do anything until my anxiety calms down and I get my strength back. When the weakness happens I can feel it in my chest too and then I feel like I can not move one more step, then the panic sets in that something really bad is going on. Everyone seems to think MS when it gets this bad, any similiar symtoms???
If I get out and try to do something or go somewhere that I have to walk, I am able to walk.  When a doctor does the typical nerve testing where they ask you to push or pull against their counterpressure, I do okay.  Hence they always says my neurological testing is normal.  I am not sure how they can say that because for all they know that might only be 1/2 or 1/4 of my previous 'strength."      

I am having nerve tingling, pins and needles sensation, myclonic jerks as well as fasciculations, and my head has this odd pressure and sensation in it causing me to feel disconnected or lightheaded and fuzzy.   I do have nerve damage in the left thoracic spine confirmed by Mayo Clinic.

I know the anxiety issues have come about because of this 4 year journey of trying to find out what is going on.   I figure there is some underlying autoimmune nerve disease or MS.    I am almost praying that it is one of those...   so at least we will have SOMETHING to treat.

Until then, I just live with the fear.  

i to am suffering with the dreaded anxiety it is so frustrating'i get constant leg eweakness and fatigue all over pain lack of energy you name it i guarantee that i have had the same,but what we have to tell ourselves is that it will get better and that one day there will be a light at the end of the tunnel,i agree that the internet is a wrong thing in that we tend to feed our anxiety byu looking up the symptoms and before we no it we are doomed and in a viciouse circle,take a look at the no more panic website and have a real good read then post back and tell me what you think...we can get there.
I came here today at my wits end with leg weakness that seems to have spread to my whole body.  I was sure I had some debilitating disease that would have me in a wheel chair or the morgue within weeks.  My legs feel like I've climbed 5 flights of stairs when I've done nothing of the kind.  I've had bouts of it before, but this time is the worst ever.  I've suffered with anxiety and panic for 27 years (I'm a 52-year old female) and its hard to imagine that an old anxiety veteran like me would still be fooled by it.  I'm feeling less like I'm dying and more like I'm suffering the symptoms of extreme anxiety after reading all your posts.  Surely we can't all have ALS or MS or any of the other catastrophic diseases we imagine, right?  I had nerve and muscle testing done last year and it was fine.  Its cold and snowy out and that always raises my anxiety, so perhaps that's all it is.  I've never seen this site before but it looks quite helpful.  Thanks for all the posts and I wish us all peace and calm and normalcy.
Hi jbyrd.

I tell myself all the time  -  "surely we can't all have ALS or MS"   -  because of this stupid internet.   I have finally gotten to the point where I quit looking at it.   I tell my husband how I am feeling and I let HIM search.  I tell him not to tell me any horror stories or bad stuff, to only tell me the positive things or things that FIT me and can help me.    What is it with us middle age women that we have become so anxious?

I just was seen by another neuromuscular doctor.  This guy is supposed to be THE EXPERT in this part of the county.   He has ordered ANOTHER EMG because the two that I have had are not normal.   I am getting tired of all these tests with no answers.   Never-the-less, I am hoping for some help.      He did put me on a very low dose of klonopin and it has TREMENDOUSLY helped the twitches and jerks in my legs.   WOW!  

Keep me posted on how you are doing.
get checked for graves desease
46 year old male with the same symptoms as everyone I have been reading I have had ALL these test done and my heart is perfect not having seizures, they did find cervical dystonia in my neck which is being treated with botox and its helping and just when i thought that might be whats wrong I go and have another episode of weakness in my legs and feeling as though Im gonna faint and now they are gonna set me up for a nerve and muscle test which will probably show NOTHING which Im glad but WHAT is it and if it is anxiety then why is is it so hard for the PROFESSIONALS to diagnose it. I need Help NOW before I loose my job over this. What meds treat this can anyone give me some insite as what to ask my doctor for.
Hello friends, There are so many problems related with nerves, muscles,malnutrition or anxiety.There are a lot of books written on these matters.And the topper Dr. of this field get confused with the symptoms.Also there is no cure for all the diseases.These problems where well treated by yoga and meditations.Search about these.Also have a deep faith on GOD.Observe the way "Muslims " prey to their GOD.All the three things are there.These problems attack those who thinking on a matter deeply. Don't think deeply on any matter, Be tension free although you have so many tensions,Leave it on fortune.Every persons should obtained what was written in its fortune,We all together not take even a small pinch of his of her sorrow.It should be tolerate by that individual only.So this is also true for our self.And GOD do not give that amount of pains which we can not tolerate.On this belief you should live a happy and healthy life.Have a good future. Feel free to mail on mzar_sidd***@****
I have had the weakness, the shortness of breath, the heart pumping, and constant headaches. about a month ago i went from envied social butterfly to a title given to me by a doctor: anxiety and panic disorder. i have some days that are good and some that are bad but a few things help me on the bad days. one is i have recently turned to god, i never feel alone when i remember he is always there. two is i also have been through numerous ers, and feared everything from hiv to heart attack to stroke to lupus and etc so when i think im dying from something horrible i remember, I HAVE ANXIETY AND PANIC DISORDER, and we are the types to have big powerful imaginations that let us imagine then mimic illnesses, so when i feel like im dying i imagine i feel better then go out and do something i enjoy. always remember no doctor can completly cure us we have to help ourselves its the hardest thing but at the end of the day websites like this and people like yall let us know we are not alone in this battle of nerves.
Hi guys
A month ago i went to a drinking party, i was drinking all possible things (Vodka, Whisky, Red Wine) however i was not drunk, just so dizzy, a month passed so far and everyday i wake up with the same feelings which stay with me through the day (Dizziness, Light headed, Weak Legs, Migraine...), i have done all possible tests and they came fine, i asked my Doctor for MRI and i will do it however he thinks that it will not show anything, could the Alcohol cause a Brain damage in one night?? i am so dizzy that i am unable to go to work, i never had Anxiety and i don't believe i have it, well, i don't fear Anxiety but i fear puzzles which seem to have no answer, i am under stress because of my unexplained sickness and this stress is even makes my condition worse everyday, i am afraid that the Alcohol might have affected my Brain forever specially that i got this immediately after drinking, does anyone have a same experience??...Thanks
I too have weakness in my arms & legs & they feel half asleep, he back of my neck hurts and I have ahead hurts all he time....been to my heart doctor, my regular doctor and a neurologist nobody knows anything....I was thinking I had a pinched nerve in my spine,  don't know about that and again nobody knows.....I'm 69 years old & not ready to give up.......
I have all of your symptons and have a couple of radiologist and a host of other doctors (heart d, my heart surgeon  & several GP's with not much results....my golfing buddy a radiologist told me to send the result of the MRI I'm having Thursday, my head & upper back to  neuroradiologist.  If I find out anthing I will let everybody know, if I don't I'll tell my wife to loan my pistol to any of you that want it, that is after I use it.....just joking, I think!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello, I just read your post and I seem to have all the same symptoms and just wondered what the dr said?
I have all of those symptoms, my doctor told me that was myasthenia gravis but I think even him is not sure at all. I don't think is an Anxiety problem I always was a happy person with no problems, but this appeared suddenly. I learned to live with it, faith in God helped me a lot to be happy even suffering this weird problem but it would be good at least to know what it is and why it happens.
hiya im jan and i also suffer with all these symptoms i dont think i have ever been so scared of anything like this in my life i go dizzy aching in my neck head like a achy feeling in my back trembling shaky and more the doctor said that its anxiety and that in peri menopause if theres anyone else that has been told this plz plz plz get back to me im just a wreck thanku x
Hi! I have had muscle weakness for about a year with tremors that no one else can see. It is all over. Head, torso, legs and arms. It is episodic and gets worse the more activity that I do. I am scared to. Lost a lot of weight and my muscles are so puny. I use to be a buff girl. Anyway, worrying about it doesnt help. Think about it, Where has worrying really gotten you? I am beginning to look at it like this,,,if it is going to be there either why not think a little better thoughts. I am not talking about rainbows and butterflies but just a better thought than ALS/MS. How about a thought like " I dont know why this is happening and I dont know how things will come together to make it better but I trust that it will." That is so much more relieving!!! Everytime and I mean everytime you go back to the really negative thoughts just think a thought above it. It may not be the most positive you can think of but at least it FEELS better than than the other. It;s called the Law of attraction. You get what you think about whether you want it or not. I have had many good days from this type of thinking and I have bad days when I do not do it.  I really feel that most of this is a product of continuous negative thoughts that have manifested into our bodies as things that we can feel and see but the docs cant. Anxiety, probably...negative thinking...most definitely.
Hey! I get that too. I have been in denial of anxiety for so long that When I was in nursing school I didnt realize the toll it tool on me toward the end. I became quite ill. Then the tremors came. They have not left and it has been over a year. I am a firm believer in the law of attraction and that you get what you think about whether you want it or not. Thoughts have energy and you cannot destroy them once you have created them. I am not saying that because someone thinks of a monster that a monster will suddenly manifest but what i am saying is that if everyone is honest on this blog about their thoughts they would all say that they spend a lot of time on the dark side. Yes,,all  the aggravating and scary places can send us there so it feels justified but again,,,if we were honest we were brewing this S*it as kids. Pills will work if you think they will and wont if you think they wont. I have been applying positive thinking to my life and it has helped me tremendously. Just try it. Pick up a book or DVD about the Law of attraction. Proof is in the pudding. What can it hurt?? Really? This post was meant for all so I hope no one thinks I am singeling them out. Just making a comment.  :) have fun and shake all day doing it!
I have had this on and off for years.  I just searched again and found this forum.  It's more of a way I just need to remind myself that it's just the anxiety and not to get into my car and race to the emergency room with my stroke/heart attack - again.  If you are reading this and you know like I do that every test is fine try to relax.  Read more anecdotal evidence that you are not alone and try to get through it.  Don't let it own you.  
Hi guys!

Just wanted to let you know that I think many of you may suffer from Adrenal fatigue. Doctors don`t know about this condition. Do you also have trouble sleeping? A very common symptom of Adrenal fatigue is low blood pressure and hence the dizziness, especially when standing up from a horizontal position. You can measure this with a blood pressure machine. First test the pressure while lying down and then again immediately after standing up. If the pressure drops upon standing, this is a real evidence of Adrenal Fatigue.

Stress is often the main cause and its the first thing you would have to get under control to get better. Stress can be anything from a stressful outer environment to an inner stressful environment (like to many toxins, alcohol, bad diet, chronic bacterial infection or parasite infection etc).

When the adrenals are shot, the body have troubles retaining sodium and magnesium, hence the muscle weakness and dizziness. The adrenals are responsible for the cortisol production when we stress and if they`re shot, then they don`t make enough cortisol. This is why you may experience anxiety.

It`s important to listen to the body and relax when ever possible. You can also take natural vitamin C (AmlaBerry) in large doses because this is one of the main nutrient for the Adrenals. DON'T USE SYNTHETIC VITAMIN C!!! Pantethine is also an important nutrient for this condition. Also, I`ve used large doses of Rice Bran (from Pure Planet) because this is a natural source of B-vitamins, Co Q10 and vit. e, which also is very important nutrients for the adrenals. Take large doses, but START SLOW and build up. This is because when the adrenals are shot,  then they have troubles processing to much stimulants.

Its also very important to stop eating and drinking things with caffeine and other stimulants (coffee, chocolate, alcohol, sugar, etc). This is because when the adrenals are tired, It`s important to let them relax and don't stimulate them. This is very important.

It takes time to heal the adrenals and it`s really important to start eating a healthy whole foods diet. Regular meals is also important.
That is exactly what happened to me.  I went to a party and probably drank way more than I should have and ended up with this stuff.  Feel like I'm week from not eating or something and get light headed, then when I lay in bed I get these tremors that at one time I thought it was my heart just to find out it's not.  It is just a weard feeling.  It doesn't hurt or anything.  However I have had a couple of unexplained headachs.
Hi there, these symptoms are all me! The dizziness especially and leg/muscle weakness. In know for sure that my diagnosis is Lymes disease,. however it took many doctors and three years to get diagnosed , and I even had a bullseye rash, however many lyme patients never get any rash. I had two pages of debilitating symptoms, many of which are gone, due to some alternative treatments. I went from being bed ridden to running 10 miles again and teaching aerobics classes three times a day. I did do antibiotics in the beginning but decided to switch to herbs like samento, adrenal cortex (for adrenal fatigue), colloidal silver, olive leaf, etc....ALSO I have done IV vitamin C, IV hydrogen pyroxide from a great alternative doctor in Pocatello, ID who specializes in lymes disease. I was great for two years and my symptoms diminished to only two symptoms, exercise also has helped quite a bit. However I am going back to the clinic because i tore my meniscus in both knees and the dang Lyme bacteria will always travel to injured areas (thus the bacteria is still in my system), my legs are weak like they used to be. The wonderful thing is is that I KNOW why they are weak and how to help my legs get better! I have seen them heal and I will see them heal again!  Lyme disease is a horrible disease and if you are having symptoms that doctors cannot figure out and you have been cleared of other diseases (I had an mri of my brain and it was fine even though i have 24 hour dizziness).....then I strongly urge you to seek out a clinic that knows Lymes disease or find a Lyme Literate doctor. The West Clinic in Pocatello, Idaho is attacking this disease head on.
I have the same thing, only it's become much worse.  I used to use a cane just for bad days.  Now it's every time I stand.  I'm going to see my doctor about a wheelchair today.  I've been diagnosed with anxiety, bi-polar, borderline, dissociative idenitity disorder, schizo affect disorder, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, Epstein barr, arthritis, sciatica, degenerative disc disease...blah...blah...blah...and have tried a number of medications.  I now know my condition to be late stage Lyme Disease.  I'm not saying you all do, but it is worth checking out.  There are more than one strain of the bateria so you need all of the tests.  Just..I don't want some of you making the same mistake I did and then wake up at 36 and realize your life is gone as you knew it.  

I just went to ER three days ago because I suddenly dropped.  I wasn't completely unconcious but I could not move or speak.  It was as if a weight was on my whole body and the feeling and strength was completely sucked out.  Now, I can't walk without assistance.  Get checked.  Avoid ticks at all costs.  
, hi , ive sufferd anxiety for years in fact probably around 30, ive questioned every symptom , but no matter how hard you try to justify in your own mind its somehing else the likelyhood is it is just anxiety , all the symtoms youve ever suffered from anxiety you will find the same as other sufferes, what does that say , symptoms  like brethlessness, dizziness, weakness, disorientation, sweaty palms , panic , ,,, these are not recognised symtoms for anything else other than anxiety,, although im no doctor ,,, if you suffer these symtoms especially most of them its anxiety , i play tabletennis , i swim i can do 3reps of 10 pull ups followed by the same reps doing dips , then go on a bike for so long and then go for swim , youd think i was an athlete but when the symptoms of anxiety are present , i cant see myself to doing any of those activities, althogh if i push myself realy hard and try to do some activity i find i realy can do them , my advice to an axiety sufferer is to do what you enjoy doing and dont let the symtoms break you down , chances are you are not going to passout , and not die or panic as a result of your efforts,    
Hey I know what some of you going threw. At first, I would have moments where I had shortness of breath or felt like I didn't no how to breath and force myself to take a breath (mostly happened at night) I was extremely fatigued all the time because I  never got to sleep. Then a couple weeks after that started happening I started noticing twitching and jerking all over my body. Well this made me really concerned so I typed in all my symptoms in and googled them and there popped up ALS. I read the article and got so freaked out. I made an appointment with my doctor and I explained what had happened over the past year and everything that was going on. She did all the blood work and everything came back normal. She said that I have anxiety and a panic disorder and proscribed me two different medications. I have been on these prescripts for about two months now and things do seem a little better. I still have my bad days, and think to myself that is it more then just anxiety? And go back to the whole ALS thing and thinking about that still scares me to death. But I sit back and try and convince and tell myself that the chances of me having that are really rear because I'm really young, ect. (believe me it is hard to do)  Recently I have been experiencing body shakes and weakness. You have to take it a day at a time. Hope you feel better and nothing seriously wrong =)    
This is a really old thread.  It's much better if you start your own, new thread.  The older ones tend to get passed over.
hi am going through asimilar situation i can nor stand neither hold a pen in my hand.which exercise did you do to get back to normal.Mohammed
You need to get an x-ray of the hand,   I just had the same thing happen to me and they say I have kienback disease look it up My lunase bone is dead in my hand I have no strength in it  It hurts so bad.
i have been having similar issues and i don't think there is necessarily a mental cause for postpartum depression i think it is hormones being out of whack and a sensitivity to it. Mine is not depression but more of an anxiety. My physical symptoms have been crazy. first this weird pressure headache. a strange falling sensation. then i finally got the never to take celexa that was prescribed to me, big mistake for me, my heart was racing, skipping, thudding, i felt electric shock sensations, was puking and couldn't sleep for three days in a row. i quit taking it and slowly started feeling a little better. still have weird symptoms like chest pain, headaches, muscles feeling sore and weak. feeling like tight bands around skin in different patches, and the most recent disturbing symptom was a burning sensation in both arms that felt like a sunburn being slapped. that lasted for two days and my arms have been so tired and sore ever sense. i'm not always convinced it's an anxiety disorder, and i have a appointment in may to discuss my various symptoms but i've looked on anxiety forums and lots of people have experienced similar symptoms so maybe it is
Yes , all this could by Lyme ... but know that the Western Blot test is not very accurate!  Many people's cases are missed ... you must fine a Lyme literate doc (often they are naturopaths) and have the IGenex test, plus tests for co-infections.  Watch "Under Our Skin" on Netflix or Hulu - very important info about Lyme and people's stories, and the link between Lyme and MS, Lou Gherigs, Parkinsons.
Hi Serina,

I realise this post is 3 years old now, but I came across it during one of many internet searches, as I am experiencing the same. Was wondering how you are getting on now and any advice on managing anxiety?  
I too have the same problem.it all started after a heavy drinking house party.the next day I woke up with this dizziness an headache.I thought it was jus hangover bt I never got better.
Brother, if I didn't know better, I would swear I wrote this.  It is always nice and reassuring to see that there is someone else who goes through the exact same things I do.  So far in the last 4 weeks I have had severe muscle crawling and weekness all over body,  ringing in the ears, headaches, diarrhea, nausea extreme fatigue.  I've been to 3 different doctors including the emergency room 3 times in the last 10 days. ( I try not to go to the same one each time so they don't think I'm crazy lol)  I've been tested and tested and they cannot find anything wrong, and trust me I've been on the internet diagnosing myself multiple hours a day, because the doctors don't know what they are talking about right?  They are not looking deep enough or not caring to look or incompetent.  I have to have answers and have to have them now cause my own mind will drive me to insanity otherwise.    
     My problem is that I do not feel anxious or anxiety.  I just have physical symptoms without cause.  It seems that once I'm convinced that my new symptom must be caused by anxiety it goes away.  But then in a short amount of time a new symptom manifests itself.  They are as real as real gets but no explanation?  so must be anxiety.  
I am exactly you wow. Going through the exact same thing. For the last 10 years, I have diagnosed myself with everything imaginable. Recently had a uti which triggered my high anxiety and panic disorder, had two nervous break downs because of it in the last week. Past 3 weeks googling my symptoms. Uti is gone they said but feel shaky weak, I think I have cancer. I have the same symptoms. A few years ago I believed I has HIV even though it couldn't be possible but read symptoms and I started getting them. Now I can't breathe I shake always cold can't breathe so I feel I have leukemia or lung cancer. Have gone crazy. I feel I may also have MS started a couple weeks ago, weakness shaking, twitching. No energy, hopeless, crying daily. Sweating. You name it. :(
Strongly recommend researching "candida."  Crazy symptoms brought on by sugar consumption or antiobiotic use.
They don't check the levels right, those "drs" are highly ignorant and highly greedy. Suggested book by Kathryn R Simpson "The MS Solution" and yes it's Endocrine, all of it. I have Hypothyroid with MS - or - is it the same thing??? I'm on the therapy (it's cheap too) mentioned in the book and I feel better after 3 weeks. But am in progressive so if it just freezes the symptoms without getting worse I'll be okay.
Hi I am also facing same problem even I did all tests and I also had two abilations for heart still the situation becomes worst than before . Any solution for this? I am taking too much rest but the problem is there.....I don't know what should I do.,,,,
It might be Spastic Paraplegia.  You need to see a specialized neurologist, a neurologist that specializes in rare disorders.
How many of you have had Botox? The symptoms you describe - jerking,etc.are known side effects of the popular drug.
I have had extreme weakness in my legs it'slike my feet get cold first then my llegs get weak and then i get pain in them and get dizzy and then my arms start to feel weak I wake up with weakness and feeling really dizzy I was diagnosed with anxiety in 2012 after my daughter was born. It went away with therapy and everything but just recently came back. It started like 8 months ago and has been an everyday thing ever since then
hello....realize this is old post however i am experiencing symptoms similar to yours...has it gotten any better?
I was reading through old posts and came across this one...if still on this forum i would really like to know how you are...I have had the same symptoms for 12 days now....thank you
Hello...I realize this is an old post however I am looking for answers.  I have similar symptoms to yours.  I have had depression and anxiety issues in the past....and currently due to this.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
test
Some symptoms similar to b12 deficiency...try b12 injections