Anxiety Community
23k Members

is it ok to take xanax and klonopin combined and which is better for serios anxiety

Hi. I have been on klonopin for about 6 months now and have been as high as 8 mg daily to the 6 mg I take now. I mentioned to my doctor that I felt I was becoming tolerant and was not getting the results I got in the beginning. I have severe anxiety and depression so I have been on alot of meds so this isn't far from true. So he gave me a script of Xanax 1mg to take with the klonopin for now til we feel comfortable enough to wean me off of the klonopin. However after reading alot of these postings I wondering if I made a mistake and should stay with the klonopin? I would appreciate any insight.  Thanks           Malissa
I do not know what Klonopin is , but I am assuming it is just another anxiety med like Xunax ( quick fix ) and I don't think that was a good idea becuase it is also addicting and should only be used for short term is what I was told by my doctor and he won't let me take that. Now if the Klonopin is not what I assumed then have you ever heard of Trileptal, mention that to your doctor, I just posted some info on that online just now, you can read that also.
You mentioned 6 mg of klonopin being roughly equivalent to 120mgs of Valium. As you seem to be very knowledgeable on this subject, would you mind going into some more detail on Valium? How is it similar to xanax/klonopin? what is considered a reasonable dosage? How addictive is it? I would greatly appreciate any information you have to offer on this.

-Kim
I have recently been switched to klonipan from xanax. The klonipan is not cutting it! Is it safe to start the xanax again while still on klonipan?
Has anyone tried Ativan and if so did it help? Do the others mentioned help more? I have OCD, Depression, and Anxiety but have gotten any meds from a doctor yet except the Ativan  from the ER. It helps but makes some symptoms worse. Any advice?
I was on ativann for anxiety attacks, it was wonderful, quick working and did the job, though the first few times I took it, I felt "like water" or even "drunk" but I got used to it

The  downside I found was that mybody quickly got used to it, I had to keep increasing the dosage  to get an effect and eventually had to get off of it because it was too dangerous. So I switched to clonezepam. I dont know  if you are allwoed to have any at the same timebut htese aremy personal experiences:

Clonezepam: Slow to work but long to last "deep relief"
Ativan: faster to work but wears off after 6 hours"medium-sense of relief"
Xanax: extremelyfast to work but shortlived "fast relief"

hope that helps =)
While Xanax worked great for my anxiety, my psychiatrist just put me on Klonopin. I'm on a mild dose (o.5 Mil), and to take 1 every 6 hours (as needed). Well, I've only taken two 1/2 pills because my anxiety has gotten much better, but I still get the feeling of one coming on, so I took the Klonopin. It took the anxiety away very well. Plus, I have been waking up like clock work at 2:00a every night, so last night I popped another 1/2 of klonopin, and slept until almost 5a! It felt great!

I think if you do not take Klonopin every single day, 3 times a day, etc., you will not have any problems with withdrawals. It's all about dosage and how often and the strength. A month ago Klonopin may NOT have worked for me, because my anxiety was the worse it had ever been my whole life. But eventually I started getting better, thankfully, so the Klonopin works pretty good for me!

I hope all of you who suffers with anxiety find something that gives you relief. If you are on Klonopin, but it's not working, ask your doctor if it's safe to increase either the dosage or strength. That may be all you need, but PLEASE don't increase it on your own without your doctor's approval!

Good luck, all!
L