Anxiety Community
23k Members

klonopin

Is it true that once you have been addicted to klonopin you are always considered an addict?
First off, one does NOT become ADDICTED to Klonopin. Secondly, who told you this c*r*a*p?
Call any pharmacist right now and they will tell you the same thing!
Peace
Greenlyddia
First off, you told you that one does NOT become ADDICTED to klonopin? Second off, much of the medical establishment does not know how hard it is to get UNADDICTED to these pills.

Although the pharmacist at Walmart did tell me that klonopin was addictive and that one needs to slowly tapper off.

Miss, you are severely uneducated about these pills!!!

abby
bump
You shold not consider yourself an addict, ever. You weren't abusing these pills on purpose were you? Alot of people become dependent on medication, its the nature of the beast.It's only after you already know you have a problem and then decide to do it again anyway that you become an addict. Its called drug tolerance, Just stay aware of what your taking, (educate yourself)  abd be careful with all medicines  aheart:)
bump
A doctor turned me into an addict. I am not a drug seeking type. Have never bought drugs on the streets. When I had a seizure from c/t off xanax and klonipin, I was an addict, not by choice. The hospitals and doctors treat you like an addict, I do not understand why. They look at you like "GET OUT OF MY HOSPITAL,  you're just another addict".  A pharmacist said who are an addict when you "need" the drug and seek it out.

After the seizure I would do almost anything to get more xanax or klonopin to keep alive. Why was I never told about these drugs???
Just wanted you to know that my doctor had me on Klonopin 1 mg twice a day with Gabitrol (an antiseizure med) to prevent migraines for 3 years.  I didn't know that Klonopin was an anti-anxiety pill or was addictive.  WHen I went off it cold turkey I got really ill and then figured out what was the problem.  I was so angry at my doctor for not telling me about my medications, but shame on me for just taking something without finding out about it. I tapered off it over a long period of time using this great taper schedule on the following site from a treatment facility in great Britian.  Using it, I had no withdrawals, was able to taper off and have never wanted it or used it since.  Try it and good luck.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/contents.htm
I am a nurse and am not ignorant to the fact that I became addicted to klonopin. However I feel that you have been misinformed!  I want to thank all the others for your input.
I think the point is that you can become dependent on Klonopin, even if you do not abuse it.  That's not necessarily the worst thing.  It helps your anxiety ( better than almost any other med ),  you may require this med to live a normal life.  Diabetics are not considered addicts, but they are dependent on their insulin and would get ill without it.  Many other medical conditions require meds that you will be dependent on for the rest of your life.  It's a matter of survival.  In most of our cases, meds help us do just that.
I agree,

But what's the point using a drug to help with panic and anxiety that only eventually loses it's efficency. At that point you need more, and if you don't take more you can get a "rebound" effect. You will get the very symptoms that you took the drug for in the first place.  Benzo withdrawals mimic panic and anxitey. Thus many people don't realize it is the benzo giving it to them,  so the doctor gives them more and they take more.  Another addict is created!
If Klonopin is being prescribed for panic attacks and combined with other meds, it should not have to be increased.  If you are using it as a tranquilizer or for a sedative you will need larger amounts over time.  I have decreased from the original amount I took. I still need it for the panic attacks but my anxiety level is controlled with celexa.
you can come off klonopin , just taper have done it before its a great med for anxiety, just dont abuse it .