Anxiety Community
23k Members

masturbation and increase in anxiety/stress/panic

I have been a HEAVY masturbator since i was 13. In my early to late teen years I was masturbating up to 30 times a day, YES 30! no lie.  when i reached my 20s it went down to about 10 times a day. I am now 27 and about 4 months ago I had a terrible panic attack and have been having anxiety and high levels of stress on  a daily basis since then. The symptoms have stopped me from maturbating so much, but I still do it maybe 2 times a day. I found something interesting though. 2 days ago I masturbated like 8 times in the span of 3-4 hours. Since then I have has ELEVATED anxiety/panic and stress symptoms.

I have a feeling that the chronic masturbation has caused an imbalance of some kind of chemical or hormone in my brain. I have had a simple testosterone level check and they found my T to be in normal range but DHEA to be very high.

Is the masturbation causing me the anxiety/panic episodes? if so, why  and what can i do (other than quitting sex/masturbation) to stop it?
I'd be interested in knowing this. When I ejaculate... my right ear always rings... wonder if that's a chemical embalance deal going on in the brain causing that?
I think there may some confusion here; the self-gratification in and of itself is neither the cause of nor caused by anxiety, is my bet. But fondling the crown jewels so often AND  conditions of high anxiety/panic may have a "common ancestor" as it were. Address that common factor (or syndrome) and you and your Johnson will probably get a litttle rest. A psychiatric evaluation will probably help you get a grip on the situation, so to speak.
I thought because he had cut down he was having withdrawls. LOL.
you know, ive had the same problems.  Ive masterbated alot since 13 also and i am now 27.  The panic attacks are indeed caused by your masterbating, but some how you just have to have will power not to do it.  I know its a really hard thing to do because masterbating feels so so good.  But try it.  I went 6 weeks one time without doing it, and let me tell you, it was worth it.  But just see how long you can go.  There's trackers on here, so try using one of them.  I always keep track on things.  It kinda helps me realize how far I've come.  But if you keep trying, (and trust me its not going to come overnight) and keep trying, you will get better wtih your will power.  Remember, practice makes perfect.
How do you figure that over masturbation causes anxiety / panic attacks? any sources to back that claim up?
Dopamine is called the "pleasure hormone" and it is realted to any addiction. When you masturbate so often, you are getting floods and droughts of dopamine. You can't enjoy anything else because the little drips of dopamine you get from simple pleasures aren't enough to do anything. If you would masturbate less, you would get pleasure from other litte things all day long and that would ease up on your stress level and you have less anxiety.
You do realize that getting pleasure from anything you do affects the same neurotransmitters, right?  Whether it's from masturbation or from smelling a flower, pleasure is a biological response that is the same for each.  So why aren't the little things any more addictive and bad for you than any other thing?
Ditto on riprock's request for medical data to back up that statement.  I believe it's the other way around (Subspace); both start with ADRENALINE - endorphins. Your body can producd increased adrenaline levels for about half an hour. BTW, women can enjoy 'adrenaline' somewhat longer than men, usually.:-)
ok i couldnt help but to say this (30 times a day). DAAAAAM.  your a monster.lol
anyway my input on this topic is anxiety can increase alot of you normal scentsations, for example. your allergies. i suffer from allergies an since i have been suffering from anxiety it has gotton worst. not only that but the first time i had sex since my first panic attack, i  had an anxiety attack, an had problems everytime i try to have sex, now i have gotton over that, probably you are feeling alittle guilty about it, anxiety/panic attacks alters you sence of fear so that could be it also. im no expert im just thinking about all the possible causes of your attacks. the best thing to do is to seek some talk tharepy, that may help.

all the best to you
does sex counts as masturbation?
First, panic/ anxiety attacks suck. Most people think anxiety/panic attacks are fake or attention seeking.  Also masterbation is some how burrowed in our heads as a bad thing. I personally know when I feel guilty or worried about a situation that is out of my control, I have severe panic attacks.  Maybe this is what is happening to you. If you are materbaiting to relieve stress (or for whatever reason), then somewhere in the back of your mind you feel guilty, that could trigger a panic attack.  If you have not already seen your MD or a psyc of sorts, you should. There are several meds that help w anxiety. When taken as prescribed and learning how to reason with yourself during a panic attack, the attacks become less severe and less often! Also these meds have come a long way. Most of them do not have the nasty sexual side effects like they used to have. LOL In fact I have a male friend who does not want to stop his meds, bc he says he last longer and has better sensation. Good Luck- Blondie2334
Yes sex is also the same as masturbation, when I say masturbation I really mean "ejaculation" I have ruined and worn out so many women in my time, i feel so bad for them and thank them for putting up with me and my crazy sex drive.

Now then,  i have no proof or studies, i only have my story and personal experience. I am looking for info about what exactly happens when a man ejaculates, i know there is an affect on dopamine, and i know too much or too little dopamine can cause panic and anxiety attacks,.. so maybe thats what is happening? maybe i have too much dopamine or too little? is there any way to test or find out these levels?  Also, does ejaculation affect serotonin levels?  

Before I started getting all these panic attacks, My ejaculations were great, felt such a rush everytime i did it, my veins would stick out as I would get a rush of joy and pleasure throughout my body, NOW all that good feeling has been traded with panic and anxiety and chest pains , headaches, no more veins popping out, no more euphoria or thrills, its just all negative stuff.  Something happened here. I need to find out what, i need to get my neurotransmitter levels tested, but i dont know if that is possible, if anyone has any info on this please share. thank you all for replying.
Is it possible that despite the release of endorphins that masterbation/sex causes, the adrenaline it gives would actually be triggering anxiety attacks? I know adrenaline of any sort at this moment in time, even excitement or pleasant surprises, can cause my anxiety to start ticking because it feels like my adrenaline just goes to all the wrong places or that my mind can't control how much it releases. I have no idea, though.
Maybe it is the way that you are breathing (or holding your breath)-while you are masturbating/ejaculating. Maybe try some breathing exercises before you begin.