Aa
A
A
A
Close
Anxiety Community
23k Members

psychiatrist vs psychologist

well after a year of suffering from anxiety symptoms i decided to go to see a doctor. I told my family doctor and he booked an appointment for me with a psychiatrist. Now i wanted to know the difference between psychiatrist and a psychologist. Medication is not an option for me i just dont like to put chemicals into my body. i just need someone to talk and comfort me that i dont have anything serious physically wrong with me and im just suffering from anxiety as i tend to worry about having a serious disease all the time. I have also been symptoms free recently except having a constant Derealization and Depersonalization. I just want to learn how to cop with this dreamy feeling i have and how to get over it. Is a psychiatrist a good option to talk to about my worries about my physical health and being scared that i might have MS or some other disease and also would he be able to help with the Depersonalization feeling i have? i dont want to go on medication i just need to talk to someone and tell them how the anxiety started and what natural ways i can cure my anxiety. This doctor works in the hospital and my family doctor said hes one of the best. i dont know....
3 Responses
190673 tn?1259206866
Usually, psychiatrists  give you medications. Few psychiatrist do psychotherapy but it's rare.

Psychologist talks to you and helps you think differently. Looks like that's what you need. I have hypochondria as well and fear many diseases and am looking for a psychologist. I don't  know if psychologists can prescribe medications.

As for DP and DR, which I also have, I find medications that are helpful. I know, I don't like put chemicals into my body either but I have been on them for so long so IDK if I could function without them.

Good luck.

i told my family doctor that i dont want to take medications and he told me that the psychiatric is not gonna prescribe medication necessarily. So i dont really know he already booked an appointment and keeps telling me hes a good doctor and i should see him. Well if he gives me any kind of medication im not gonna take it, its not like hes gonna force me to take meds. I guess if i ask him to he would write me a full physical examination and maybe when i get the results it would make me more calm and help me with my DP/DR.
Price, if all you want is therapy.  Psychiatrists charge a lot more, even though psychologists have more education in psychology.  
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?