Anxiety Community
23k Members

withdrawal from lexapro

How long do you have to be on lexapro before stopping will cause withdrawal symptoms.  I have only been on it it a week and want off now.

It depends how much you are on but I think you could probably get off of it with very little side effects right now.  You might want to consult your doctor before doing so.  Lexapro usually takes about 2 weeks before it really starts to work. I was on 5mg for six weeks, and I decided I really did not like how I was feeling on it, so I stopped taking it. It made me feel like I had the flu when i was on it.  When I stopped taking it,  I had a few side effects but it was not that bad. I would get this bizarre brain zap probably once or twice a day but then that stopped after about 4 days.   I actually felt so much better off of it, even with the side effects.   I am not a doctor though, so before you abruptly stop taking it I would consult your doctor.  Best of luck.
I am on 10mg.  I talked to my dr's office and his nurse said that I can just stop it and should have no problems.  I was a bit unsure though.
You will be fine then.  You might get an occasional headache but it will not last long.  Good luck!
thank you and sorry for the repeat posts.  i had a hiccup in my system and you can see the result.