Arthritis Forum

Are these the symptoms for Fibromyalgia?

I am writing on behalf of a friend who is 28. He started to experience severe lower back pain about 6 months ago which caused him to give up work. After one month the symptoms spread at first to his upper body then to his legs and finally into his chest. He now has multiple problems as follows:

Legs:
very acute Sciatica prodominently in the right leg but also in the left leg that makes walking very difficult and painful, mainly as this also induces a severe shooting pain. His right foot is swollen and painful to stand on, the middle toe is badly swollen and there is also a severe pain in the ball of the foot just behind the big toe.

Lower Back:
Continues to be painful especially with a sharp pain when undertaking any movement.

Upper Body:
Sharp pain in the front of his chest. Throbbing / aching elbows. Aching neck and sometimes a sharp pain. Aching shoulders and upper arms.

He has been taking codydramol every four hours for several weeks now which is helping but only slightly.

He has an appointment with a specialist later this month and it would be useful to get some ideas about these symptoms and the kind of questions that he should ask.

Thanks in advance for your help.
The symptoms for fibromyalgia are as follows (from UptoDate):

"The cardinal manifestation of fibromyalgia is diffuse musculoskeletal pain. Although the pain may initially be localized, often in the neck and shoulders, it eventually involves many muscle groups. Patients typically complain of axial pain in the neck, middle, and lower back, and pain in the chest wall, arms, and legs. The pain is chronic and persistent, although it usually varies in intensity. Patients often have difficulty distinguishing joint and muscle pain and also may report a sensation of swelling; however, the joints do not appear swollen or inflamed on examination. Pain is often aggravated by exertion, stress, lack of sleep and weather changes. Sensations of numbness, tingling, burning, or a crawling sensation are often described."

It is difficult to make the diagnosis without examination.  Normally lab tests and imaging studies are non-revealing.  Sensitivity to tender points are normally characteristic of the disease.

I would consider a referral to a rheumatologist to exclude any other disease.  Blood tests for a complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, thyroid function tests, and muscle enzymes should all be done to rule out other disease.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b

Bibliography:
Goldenberg. "Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of fibromyalgia in adults". UptoDate, 2006.
Hello there. I have had fibromyalgia since i was about 13 years old and i am now 18. From experience I can tell you that I went through almost those exact symptoms. My doctors have told me that there is no one specific test for fibromyalgia so to diagnose it, they have to rule out everything else. My testing went on for a few years but I was finally diagnosed and have been able to keep my fibro. under control for quite a while now. I found that Celebrex really helped me along with aqua therapy. I hope this helped you out some and good luck to your friend.

Patrisha
Yes, you must see a rheumatologist.  Also, have you spine checked to be sure that the problem is not actually there and the pain is due to mayofascial pain secondary to spine involvement.  If the problem is truely fibromyalgia, we are now hearing that acupuncture are the major points of pain can greatly reduce the pain and improve the fatigue.  The problem is that you must find a highly skilled person to do the acupuncture.  
Best Wishes.
Better By Spring
One test which dr's tend to leave out, i should no I was mistakenly thought to have fibro is the HLA 27B gene, this tends to be in rheumatic diseases especailly Ankolosing sponylytis. I had test for lupus, ANA MS etc etc after 5 years of tests and getting sicker I went to a doctor and he redid the tests but with an added test after I told him that the symptoms fisrst started when I was 17 with pain in my hip legs etc.
Good luck to your friend
there is no such thing as fibromyalgia.  this word has been invented by doctors to mean "we don't know what is wrong with you".  what you have to do if you have this "illness"  is get all of the requisite tests done.  i.e. neurologist etc... etc... after you have ruled everything out - do NOT accept fibromyalgia as a diagnosis.  The drugs are a total waste.  Do the following only after you have ruled out more potentially troubling causes:

1.  See an upper cervical chiropractor.  See www.upcspine.com.

If you react favourably to the first three or four adjustments you have an upper cervical problem.  All of the nerves pass through your atlas opening - if you have a kinked neck all of the symptoms that people forever associate with "fibromyalgia"  will go away with treatment.

Monitor your progress carefully.  If you react well for a short while but the adjustment does not hold - likely there is some structural or skeletal problem that is preventing you from finding proper alignment.  If this is the case you need to have a thorough dental examination done.  Go to www.icnr.com.  

The structure of the jaw has a direct relationship to the Atlas vertebrae.

See Dental Distress Syndrome by Dr. Aelred Fonder.  Perhaps you have crossbite, or you have some other mysterious form of malocclusion.  Perhaps you have had extensive dental work done in the past that corresponds with your slow degeneration.  Ask yourself... are my teeth perfect??  more importantly... does my jaw function properly... if not... that is your problem.  

I experienced this for years.  YEARS.  the doctors cannot help you because they do not understand the complex relationship between the teeth the jaws and the cervical structures of the body... there is also a cranial component to this.  

People you should see.

1.  A cervical chiropractor - Preferrably a NUCCA chiropractor
2.  A TMJ dentist - Preferrably a neuromuscular dentist - LVI trained.
3.  A massage therapist or myotherapist - to help with muscle problems.

YOU DO NOT HAVE FIBROMYAGIA... FIBROMYALGIA DOES NOT EXIST... YOU HAVE A STRUCTURAL PROBLEM... Maybe you were born with crossbite or you inherited genetic bad bite or malocclusion... that's all.

that's it.  Getting it fixed can be a long tedious struggle.  Please visit all of the sites below.  Read, educate yourselves on your own health.  Stop the drugs. Stop the chaos.  Take control.

1.  www.voicetraining.co.uk - Read her articles please.

2.  www.icnr.com - read his case studies please.

3.  www.upcspine.com - read everything on this site please.

4.  type in "dental distress syndrome" into your search engine.
Read the article.  Educate yourselves.

Your problems lie in a grey area that sleeps somewhere betweeen the areas of most dentists and doctors.  Find only well trained doctors who specialize in occlusion. DON"T ACCEPT ANY DENTIST.  They can make you worse.  PAY FOR A GOOD ONE.  TRAVEL GREAT DISTANCES IF YOU MUST.  STOP using the term fibromyalgia.  It is a 100 percent farce to treat something that does not exist.  Stop treating the symptoms and find the source of your problem.  Most likely it is dental.

email me at

***@****

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches