Arthritis Community

Arthritis in Hip and Groin pain

My husband was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis in his right hip about 5 months ago but the doctor said he's too young for a hip replacement at this time.  He had a cortisone injection which seems to be helping somewhat. He never really had hip pain but instead had groin pain which apparently is common.  While the pain has lessened, the lymph node or swelling in the groin area has increased significantly. It looks as though someone inserted an egg under his skin in the groin.  Is that ever going to go away or will is just stay swollen until he finally has the hip replacement?
Hi there,

I would strongly recommend he go to another doctor for a second opinion. Lumps under the skin are never normal. Look for an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hips.

FWIW, I was 37 when I had my first hip replacement. Even at my worst I did not have large lumps under the skin at the hip joints. You don't say your husband's age, but I know arthritis patients who have had joint replacements in their teens. If the pain is bad enough to impact his quality of life, something must be done. The newest types of implants remove less bone than the old style (which is what i have), and allow for even greater mobility, but the biggest thing is pain relief.

If the pain is mainly in his groin, (the crease between his thigh and body), that IS the hip joint. The head of the femur (thigh bone) angles inward at the top.  If the pain is elsewhere, like the sides or the back, that is NOT the hip joint but more likely the bursa.

Again, seek another opinion from a qualified orthopedic surgeon to see what is going on with his hip. There could be an infection of some kind going on, and he does not want it to settle in his bones, if that's what it is. Good luck!
I have suffered from pain in the groins for a number of years before I finally went to the doc who sent me for xrays.      X-rays showed degeneration of both hips.  I also have degeneration in the lower spine and in the neck.  and osteoarthritis in both knees, but my right leg is worst.  Osteoarthritis in other joints too (fingers and feet).

The more I stand and walk about the worse it gets.  I also get the pain in the lower belly as if things are pulling down. The pain radiates down through both legs. Doc says this is reffered pain from my back.  But as I am half way through taking Trimethoprim for a water infection, my leg pains are not so severe - could be that the ibobrofen has kicked it!
I have been taking co-codramol (pain relief) and ibobrufen for the last few months.  Some days are really bad that I need the aid of a walking stick, other days are a little better.  But the discomfort and pains are always there.

I find that when I am tired I feel much worse.  Also if I sit or stand for any length of time I get completely stiff.  I go swimming when I feel well enough and this is a good form of exercise that helps to strenghen the muscles.  Also go for short walks.

I will be 61 this year, but the osteoarthritis began gradually when I was in my teens.  Because I am overweight, I've been told "lose weight".  Easier said than done.  Did lose weight, got depressed and put it all back on again.  Trying to lose again and to get fitter by going for gentle walks and swimming.

Best of luck
I'm new to this group but have been around for a while in the MS forum.

As carolanivey said, the pain that you describe as being in his groin is really in his hip. I used to think that hip pain had to be felt on the outside. Not so much :-) The actual hip socket is right where the top of the femur turns in to meet the pelvis.

This was a marvel of anatomy I learned when my doc told me I had about 80% bone on bone osteoarthritis in my left hip. I was 49 then (53 now). The "too young for hip replacement" thinking relates to a) Total hip replacement (THR) and b) The knowledge that total hip replacements last about 20 years.

A THR requires that a lot of bone be removed. This means that when the 20 year warranty is up, and they have to replace the replacement, there is not enough bone to do it easily. The old school says that you should put off having a hip replaced for as long as you can possibly stand (or not stand as the case may be) it.

Enter hip resurfacing. This is a procedure in which, rather than being cut off completely, the femoral head is shaved down. A new cap is inserted in the shaped femoral head and a new cup/socket is inserted in the pelvic bone. Hip resurfacing saves much more bone than THR. The thinking here is that if the resurfacing needs to be re addressed in 20 years there is far more bone to work with.

Right after my doc told me I had bone on bone arthritis he resurfaced my left hip. That was 4 years ago next week. The result has bee simply amazing!

Kyle

Look into seromas.
Seromas are characterized by swelling or inflammation under the skin.
These form due to  accumulation of serous fluid as one lump under certain parts of the skin.

Cheers!
Niko
The lump may have nothing to do with the hip problem.  

Did the lump appear in the same place as your cortisone injection?  In which case you may have a seroma which is a pocket of clear serous fluid - this will take time to disperse.

It may also be a swollen lymph gland like you mention

If the lump protrudes when you cough, this could be a hernia.

If the lump was not there when your husband was first diagnosed, he really needs to get back to the doctor for the correct diagnosis and treatment if that is required.

Hope he gets it sorted soon.
It would be interesting to know what it is when he is examined and gets his diagnosis.

Best wishes

Thank you so much for your responses everyone!  He did have a lump when he first went to the doctor and that's when we first thought it was a hernia.  The lump is in the groin area. After they did the X-rays, CT scan, they found it was his hip that was very arthritic and he ended up having the cortisone shot. The shot was actually not given in the area that the lump is in, but higher up.  The doctor said that the lump is a swollen lymph node that became that way due to the irritation caused by the hip.  Unfortunately, while the cortisone injection has helped - he can work, walk, etc. longer than normal, the lymph node has gotten significantly larger over time.  Now I understand that the cortisone injection does nothing to heal or minimize anything other than pain.  I guess we just didn't realize that being on his feet day after day, even though he can't feel the pain, will still cause irritation to the point that the node is growing larger. He is going back to his PCP in a couple of weeks and will ask him about it; he doesn't see the orthopedic doc until next time he needs a cortisone injection.  

Also - it was great to hear about your experiences with replacements, resurfacing, and pain control.  Thank you!!  My husband will be 50 this May and like I said, his orthopedic WANTS to wait as long as possible for surgery but he also realizes sometimes you just can't wait.  

Hopefully we'll find out some more info in a couple of weeks when we go back to the doctors.  Thanks again everyone!! :)
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches