Arthritis Forum

Cervical Osteoarthritis

On Oct 21 2004 I was injured at work when a large man fell on to my forearm. At the time my neck and back hurt. The next day it was better and pain was in my elbow. April 7 2005 I had an ulnar nerve transposition to the right arm. Since then my pain is worse. It is now sharp shooting pains in my neck, shoulder, and right arm.(sometimes into my head also.) All on right side.
Also my neck pops really loudly now, and my shoulder burns and feels heavy. I had a cervical MRI in Sept 2005. My doctor (work comp) said it was normal but put me in PT. This has relieved only the tenseness in the muscles. On my therapy note I saw my Dx was cervical DJD. My question is would he Dx me with this if MRI was normal, and could this be causing the sharp pains or is it more likely continuing nerve damage? And could it also be DJD in my elbow causing the horrific pain in it?(The tingling was relieved after surgery except sometimes pain shoots down my R. leg and my great toe tingles)
It is difficult to say without examination.  Cervical DJD in itself can lead to pain and discomfort as well as nerve impingement.  

Inflammation of surrounding muscles can also cause nerve impingement leading to the discomfort you are feeling.

If PT isn't helping, you can consider another orthopedic opinion to see whether surgery is an option.  

You can also consider a pain management specialist to help manage the discomfort.  If cervical DJD is a problem, spinal injections to help relieve the discomfort can be considered.

Another option would be a referral to a neurologist to consider electrodiagnostic testing to determine if there is nerve damage.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches