Collagenous Colitis

I have recently been diagnosed with collagenous colitis.  Symptoms have been severe, chronic diarrea, bowel incontinence at night, abdominal pain, etc.  I had a flexsig and a colonoscopy, both confirming diagnosis. (celiac disease is not present)  Other than this, I am healthy 45 year old female.

Please tell me what you know about the connection between collagenous colitis and any autoimmune diseases, arthritis, etc.

Thank You!

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
There are some reports connecting collagenous colitis with systemic autoimmune diseases.  Specifically, non-erosive arthritis and celiac disease are connected.  Small studies place the frequency of concurrent autoimmune disease to be close to 40 percent.  Testing for arthritis can be considered, starting with an ANA and rheumatoid factor level.

Initial medical treatment involves cholestyramine and steroids.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Helpful - 0
I have been diagnosed with coll.colitis, I also have had a lot of trouble with both my knees. I recently had a camera in my knee and had debrie removed by keyhole surgery.
That was nearly 7 weeks ago and I am having a lot of difficulty and pain in walking.
Could you tell me if this is due to collagenous colitis and what should I do next? thankyou.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Help for collagenous colitis was started.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Arthritis Forum

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches