Arthritis Community

Did you undergo an ankle arthroscopy? Please tell us your experience.

You will be taken to the recovery room for monitoring while waking up from the anesthesia.Some people may be allowed to bear weight with crutches.Others may be placed in an immobilizer for as long as six weeks. The type of repair made during the procedure and the surgeon's preference will determine how your ankle may be immobilized.If extensive surgery or remodeling of the ankle is performed, the surgeon may choose to put your ankle in a cast to prevent you from moving it too early and to promote healing.If you had an arthroscopy only to establish a diagnosis, the surgeon may put a simple splint or air splint on your ankle.In general, the area should be kept clean and dry while the incisions are healing.Pain medicine may be prescribed.The ankle should be elevated and iced to minimize swelling and to help control pain.
I have had an ankle arthroscopy, I am a 64 year old woman. Surgery date was May 10th, 2016. At the same time I had right ankle scope, anterior crucial ligament, navicular excision, and posterior tibial repair.  I'm ok now, my pain before this surgery was extraordinary, huge pain, same pain what I got after the surgery. After surgery I got morphine, but I declined after 2 days, and did not take any pain medication. Now I'm in rehabilitation center with cast on my right leg. After my right ankle recovery, I am going for same surgery for my left ankle, plus torn ligament repair. I am thankful to my doctor. With the second surgery also going well, I will be the happiest women in this world. I was suffering a lot from the pain before my surgery, I hope not anymore.
Unreal how well ankle arthroscopy worked. I was walking first day. Lucky.
You have to be very patient with the recovery. I'm eight weeks in with my recovery from an ankle arthroscopy and still in pain every day. I have been limited with walking on the flat for twice a day for half an hour at a time. Ice packs when you feel you have overdone it is really useful. Do your physiotherapy exercises every day and listen to your consultant as they know best.
I had arthroscopy on both ankles a year ago. I am still in much pain and can only walk short distances. Prior to surgery I did not have anywhere near this much pain. My doctor did another surgery screwing the bones on top of my foot together and added a wedge under my ankle. That was 9 months ago and my foot is still swollen and painful. Again, worse off than when I started. Three 2nd opinions left me with no help. I think my doctor is a quack!
I am 61 and my surgeon stated that he had to do a lot of removal of bone spurs and clean up while doing ankle arthroscopy. I am seven weeks in and feeling discouraged. I can limp around without the crutches, but it is painful, and if I do much, it is very painful by the end of the day. It wears me out. I have an office job, so I am only moving as far as the bathroom. I'm encouraged that this isn't abnormal.
I had an ankle arthroscopy procedure done about 20 hours ago. I can't bend my ankle or wiggle my toes. I thought the bandage was too tight, so I loosened it a little bit, and I noticed a lot of blood under the bandage. I hope it feels better tomorrow.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches