Arthritis Community

Different pain management for osteoarthritis......

Years ago after horrendous headaches and neck pain and trips to the ER I was diagnosed w/ osteoarthritis that cause migraines.  Been taking hydrocodone for it since then and it's been a godsend.  2 little pills and both problems go away and I can function.............I don't take them everyday, more like 3 or 4 days a week, 2 pills and I'm good for most of the day.  I also have a tens unit which has help tremendously as well.  Take LOTS of hot baths etc.  Fast forward to now.......I don't want to take the hydro any more. I guess I'm going thru withdrawal (yes, I'm over on the substance forum too! lol) which is pissing me off, but I'm dealing.  Anyway,  I've discovered SAM-e and it's been WONDERFUL!  I've noticed a big difference in the osteoarthritis  (maybe that's why I want off the hydro) and now I'm wondering if I can do anything else to help.

Does acupuncture help?  I've thought about it but wanted to know if anyone else has done this for pain management.  I take SAM-e in the morning and afternoon w/ a super complex B.  I also take kava kava which has been a godsend in the evenings and what I'm dealing w/ now w/ the withdrawal.  I don't want to take any prescriptions from a doctor.  I don't like taking pills and dealing w/ the side effects.  Never had any side effects from the hydro except for this pesky withdrawal. lol  Thanks for the help!!

Hi jmhoesch.

I'm the same, not even aspirin in my house.

So here's my list when and if I have any pain or for maintenance (I have managed to reach an almost pain free state of health)
1. Daily meditation and/or self-hypnosis
2. Daily msm/chondroitin/glucosamine
3. Alkaline and low carb diet (high coconut oil consumption also use in cooking/no cooking oils as they are proinflammatory)
4. Daily exercise.
5. DMSO as needed.  (This one is a little tricky. If not familiar let me know
so I can give you details.)
6. Daily, Apple cider vinegar-raw unfiltered organic 1T before each meal.
7. Magnesium oil transdermal every other day.
8. EFT (emotional freedom techniques/tapping) is a bit like acupuncture.
I use it very often-for anything,lol! I'm also an advanced EFT practitioner.

Hope this helps.
Keep up the  alternative treatment protocol! I'm glad it is working well for you!

Best wishes.
Niko
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches