Arthritis Community

Help for osteoarthritis in knee

Any Help Appreciated!  I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis about 2 years ago.  I received cortizone shots for several months but did not help much.  I was told about Supartz shots and received the first series last September.  I was pain-free for over 8 months which was great!  The end of May I started having pain and contacted my doctor, I was not able to get in for 3 weeks and the pain increased and had extreme sciatic pain running from my hip to the bottom of foot on both sides.  I have done everything possible, over the counter drugs, exercising in pool, massage therapy, physical therapy, accupuncture, pain shots, perscription Motrin 800mg, Vicodin 7.5-750, Hydrocodone/APAP 5/500, with very little relief.  I received the second series of Supartz almost 1 1/2 mos. ago thinking they would work like the first series but has not.  I am still in extreme pain, I would like to try Synvisc-One.  What are the side-effects if any? and How long do I have to wait between the Supartz shots before I can get the Synvisc-One?  Any other options besides surgery?   It has been recommended to have Arthroscopic surgery or total knee replacement by my doctor but I am only 56 and they don't really want to do it unless absolute necessary.  They want me to wait as long as possible!  They aren't having the pain that I am having or seem to understand how this has effected my daily life.
Anyone have any suggestions?  I would really appreciate them!  Thanks!  Terry
Unfortunately I am not much help to you here, but will say my sister had the Synvisc-One injection and it worked pretty well for her so far.
While you're only 56, you have to do what is best for you, I posted a site below, along the similar decision making lines (only related to hips, but think it applies equally as well). I don't know much about knee implants, but implant technology in general, is moving in leaps and bounds. Do some major research.
5 weeks ago I had both my hips replaced, I was out picking tomatoes today and walked a few miles...I'm only 51, but finally hit my "breaking point"..also tried all the narco drugs you mentioned (hydromorphone worked best for me, by the way)...but in the end, decided I had to have surgery or life would lose it's fun for me...if I out live the implant-so be it, back to the or for another overhaul..I am in less pain already than prior to surgery....Best of luck in your decision. Not much osteo discusion here, more RA centered..

hope this relates in some way.
http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?PHPSESSID=ae5cd1bbf41b155b2775c219bc4f2b9b&topic=1351.0
My Mom had both her knees replaced (at the same time) she's now 72 and still rides her mountain bike..something to think about..........;^)
I too have been diagnosed with OA of both knees.  I was told by the orthopedic surgeon that I was walking "bone on bone" and that I would know when I was ready for TKR.  I've been avoiding any NSAIDS because my nephrologist doesn't want my kidneys to be further compromised, but she also has said not to "put up with the pain".  I use only Tylenol and that as infrequently as possible.  

To w hom did you go to have the various types of injections?  I just had a cortisone injection in my great toe to relax a tendon and the relief was wonderful.  I'm just wondering whether I should be considering something similar for my knees.  They have become more painful, but not what I would call excruciatingly so.  But relief would be great if it allowed me to walk without pain and kneel when I needed to without "grimacing".  

I'm not so keen on TKR since I am alone and even after rehab know that some of the upkeep in my home would be difficult.  Also, I understand that kneeling would be impossible as would other activities.  

Your input, as well as others who have opinions, would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches