Avatar universal

I would need an opinion on my ankle MRI, I have chronic ankle pain

I need help finding out the cause of my pain. I have long-lasting chronic ankle pain, but the CT and MRI did not find any clear problem, that should cause it. Please help me find give an opinion on my MRI and/or CT results.  They can be downloaded from here:

About me: I am 31, (otherwise healthy) male, with no known diseases. I had several ankle sprains in the past, but the last one was about 2 years ago.

About the pain: The pain is not sharp, it is rather a dull ache, and it worsens when I use my leg (walk or sit), and gets better, when i don't (lay down, or sit with feet put up on a stool or something). I feel the pain coming from the outer side of the ankle, but I'm not sure about it.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Best Answer
351246 tn?1379682132
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. There is no apparent rupture of tendon and ligaments or bony growths or fractures visible on the CT and MRI. Pain on the outer side of ankle felt especially when you put weight on it is usually due to sinus tarsi syndrome (pain just front of lateral malleolus on the outer side of ankle).  There is no swelling accompanying the pain. This is usually managed conservatively with anti-inflammatory drugs, shoes that keeps the person stable (low heel or flats), intermittent immobilization of ankle, use of ankle sleeve and by easily available over-the-counter orthoses. If pain persists, doctors may prescribe oral steroids, or may inject steroid into the joint, or send you for physical therapy or for custom made orthoses. Surgery is rarely needed.  
The other possibility is peroneal tendon syndromes including rupture of tendon of peroneus brevis. This causes pain with swelling, especially if the tendon ruptures (less likely in your case). If there is strain in the tendon then you need to start the RICE treatment (rest, ice, compression, and elevation). You will need non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and may need to go for a cast in lower foot. Again surgery is usually not required. You can show this to your doctor and start the first line of treatment. If you do not get relief you may need to consult an orthopedic specialist or a sports injury specialist. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
Thank you for your answer!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Arthritis Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches