A
A
A
Close
Arthritis Community
3.04k Members

Need some info on Rheumetoid Arthritis

Hello,
My name is Tiffany and I am 28 yrs old. I recently went to the doctor for severe knee pain. I have been having stiffness and joint pain for a couple years but all other appts to the doctor turned nothing up. So they ran tons of bloodowrk and xrays, which almost everything came back good. However I had a bloodtest called ANA come back positive, they are thinking Lupus or RA....but my test for RA came back negative. So my question is....could it still be RA?? HAs anyone ever had the doctor's test come back negative but when they went to the Rheumetologist it was proven to be RA??

Tiffany
1 Responses
469901 tn?1276567223
I am sorry you are in pain but glad you found us.  Yes, it is possible to test negative for the RA antibodies and still have RA.  It is also possible to have a false positive test result.  Additional tests may be needed, exams, x-rays, MRIs and a bone and joint scan to determine what is going on.  At the top of this forum is a message on preparing for a rheumy visit.  Since it sounds like you have not yet been to one, I urge you to read it so you can get the most from your appt.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing, other symptoms you have (even if they do not seem related) and what you find out.  We are here to help in any way we can.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches