Arthritis Community

Osteoarthritis in young person?

I'm an extremely active 26 year old male, and I recently had my fourth knee surgery (third on left knee).  The prior surgeries had all been to my medial mensicus, and this fourth surgery was to remove a condral defect I had on the left knee.

My doctor told me he saw some roughing of the cartilege.  Subsequently, the worst of my pain is gone and my strength is very good, but I still experience fairly considerable pain when most of my weight is on one leg and I bend.  Running is fine but I will have considerable discomfort after running more than a mile.

Is it possible I already have osteoarthritis? And are there any non surgical treatment options available to me?  I am specifically wondering if injections might help?

A friend of mine had similar problems, and after the surgery, she kept up the baseball.  8 years later, she had to have the knee replaced.  Check with a doctor or a physiotherapist if you have some special care given to that leg - it is possible that there are extra exercises that might help.  Glucosamine supposedly helps for arthritis.   Also, check to make sure that your shoes are appropriate for what you are doing.  It can be that shoes for long distance running and shoes for short bursts of intense activity are quite different.  

Good luck!
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches