Arthritis Community

Prolotherapy for knee arthritis

Hi. I recently was found to have patellofemoral arthritis in both knees. Much of the fluid under the kneecaps is gone and my bones are just touching on the outside of each knee.

Among several treatments recommended to me via a list for PT exercises, was prolotherapy.

I just took a brief look at what it is. It sounds like the idea is to do MORE damage to an already damaged area, in hopes of growing tissue. Is that a good idea? Has anyone ever used this for arthritis and found it to be helpful or worthwhile?

As I read on, it seems to be about growing ligament tissue more than anything. So isn't this more for ligament injuries?

I have an appointment soon to seem my orthopedist but thought I'd ask here too. Thanks.
I would see a Rheumatologist instead of an Ortho. MD with your diagnosis.  If you are uncomfortable with this form of treatment, then I would also let the doctor know since there are other ways to treat arthritis.  This is why I am recommending a Rheumatologist to both prevent further damage and treat the problem that is there now.
Why rheumatologist? BTW, I did see one 1.5 years ago for something completely unrelated. They did many tests and everything came back normal, including RA testing.

I don't have the swelling in the joints that a lot of RA people seem to get either.

I've also since learned from my ortho that prolotherapy is quackery. He  meant something else on the form. It was my mistake. Thanks though.
Arthritis indicates swelling or inflammation in a joint and associated connective tissue.

There are two kinds of arthritis:

Rheumatoid arthritis is a congenital inflammatory disease affecting joints all over the body. Rheumatologists specialize in treating these types of systemic degenerative diseases.

Osteoarthritis is a mechanical or traumatic disorder of the joint, and subsequent local degenerative changes in the joint, cartilage, and surrounding bones and tissue. It is not a rheumatic disorder.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches