Arthritis Community

Sore joints and rash

My husband (50) had kidney stones several years ago and discovered that he had only 1 kidney. He has been on sodium bicarbonate since then. He has since developed swelling in his ankles. Lately, the pain has traveled to the shoulder area. (sometimes left and sometimes right) I noticed that he had a rash on his lower legs. He has been tested for RA but the test always come back negative. Any suggestions on what this could be? Also, with only one kidney is there medicine that he can safely take? What Dr. would be the best to consult and what test would you recommend.
FWIW, my father was born with one kidney and he lived to a ripe old age. People donate a kidney all the time and live a normal life.

Anything containing sodium can cause fluid retention, which can cause the ankles to swell.

The traveling joint pain and rash, though, are a couple of flags for RA, and it is not at all unusual to test negative in blood work yet still have symptoms. Ask for a referral to a rheumatologist, who specializes in all manner of autoimmune disorders such as RA. A good one will look at ALL the evidence, not just blood work.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches