Arthritis Community

What was the cause of your hip pain?

Pain may arise from structures that are within the hip joint or from structures surrounding the hip.   The hip joint is a potential space. This means that normally there is a minimal amount of fluid inside the joint to allow the femoral head to glide in the socket of the acetabulum. Any illness or injury that causes inflammation will cause this space to fill with fluid or blood, stretching the hip capsule lining and resulting in pain.  Articular cartilage lines the femoral head and the acetabulum, allowing the bones to move within the joint with less friction. Also, the socket area of the acetabulum is covered with tough cartilage called the labrum. Just like any other joint cartilage, these areas can wear away or tear and become the source of pain. There are thick bands of tissue that surround the hip joint, forming a capsule. These help maintain the hip joint stability, especially with movement, keeping the femoral head firmly in the acetabulum.  Movement at the hip joint is possible because of the muscles and tendons that surround the hip and that attach across the hip joint, allowing the leg to move in different directions. Aside from controlling movement, these muscles also act together to maintain joint stability. There are large bursas (fluid-filled sacs) that surround areas of the hip and allow the muscles and tendons to glide more easily over bony prominences. Any of these structures can become inflamed.  Pain can be referred from other structures outside the hip joint, meaning that while the hip hurts, the problem may potentially originate elsewhere. Inflammation of the sciatic nerve as it arises from the spinal cord in the back can cause hip pain, especially if the L1 or L2 nerve roots are involved. Other types of nerve inflammation may manifest as hip pain, including pain arising in the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve of the thigh, which is often inflamed in pregnancy. Pain from an inguinal or femoral hernia, or a sports hernia (athletic pubalgia) may also cause pain that is felt in the hip.   Hip pain is a nonspecific complaint that requires the health care professional to find the underlying cause from the many potential injuries or illnesses. The approach to the diagnosis of hip pain requires an open mind because the source of trauma or the cause of illness may not be readily apparent.Picture of the Anatomy of the Hip
I believe the cause of my hip pain was cycling. I have hip pain radiating from my groin area, which has been going on for more than a year.
My hip pain has been diagnosed as tendonitis along with osteoarthritis, the tendonitis brought on by bowling.   I understand that it is rare to have tendonitis in the hip.  I experience severe pain whenever I attempt to sleep in a lying position.
My hip has worn out and I am awaiting surgery for hip replacement.
I have osteoarthritis and bone degenerative disease, which is causing me to have problems with my hips, knees, and shoulders.
I woke up about ten days ago with right lateral hip pain that extends down the front of my thigh ending up on the top of my knee. I've had a round of Prednisone and a week of physical therapy with little improvement. I was told it was a pinched sciatic nerve at the sacroiliac joint. I'm still not able to walk because of pain in leg. Lying is the only semi comfortable position. Are there any other possible diagnosis
Bursitis in both hips. I had a hemi-hip replacement 4 years ago in my left hip due to a bad fall.  This episode of bursitis was brought on from standing 6-7 hours a day at work.
Severe osteoarthritis is the cause of my hip pain!
advanced age (83) with no previous symptoms of hip  pain, genral health is excellant.Only health regimene is daily intake of synvastitin for blood thinner. Past three months to date are with reocurring hip pain.. prognosis and treatment? Bob
Fell 2 different times on my tailbone, but only pain in right hip on and off over the years. Was off on vacation for 2 weeks and now hasnt stopped hurting. It is not a severe pain.
My hip pain was caused by a fracture to the ball joint in my hip.
I AM MILIND VERY PAIN IN MY HIP JOINT FROM 6 MONTH SO PLEASE GUIDE ME TREATEMENT FOR WITHOUT HIP JOINT OPERATION ...
abducttor inner thigh injury due to overweight and sudden movement.
The cause of my hip pain is unknown. I've had it for nearly 3 years, and am now on disability. I've had 2 scopes to correct some issues, including a labral tear that didn't show on any tests, scans, films of any kind. Then had it reattached during the second scope, because it detached completely. I've been diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia, and hip impingement in both hips; however it's my right that is giving me the pain. I've had 15 steroid injections, and was told that they are probably the cause of the labral detachment. I was told yesterday that my hip is deteriorating, and within a year I won't be able to walk. I still have no diagnosis or treatment, and my only option is a total replacement; however, because of my age, there isn't a surgeon that will touch me for another 10 years. I've had every test imaginable, and they all come back normal...I hope there isn't anyone else out there that has had or will ever have this senario, but if there is, can you give me some ideas of where to turn?
snapping tendens in hip is there a cure?
I don't know what is causing my hip pain but the info on here was very helpful. I have been to an orthopedist ad have had x-rays and bone scan and still doctor says he finds nothing wrong but I am still in more pain than giving birth, he says take Advil, I have taken every over the counter drug there is.
I experience left hip pain at night the pain slowly trickles down my leg, however it remains worse in my hip. (I HAVE to get off my side for relief). The pain most frequently occurs after I lay on my left side. Some nights it barely exists and other nights it is severe. I went to a vascular surgeon, he said it "could" be vascular, but not necessarily....Any thoughts?
I'VE BEEN HAVING HIP AND KNEE PAIN
i have romanticism.high blood pressure and diabetics yesterday i started having pains on my right leg this morning i cant stand up
Hey  I was playing a game of rugby and fell on my hip,what then can I use to treat it because in 4days time i'll be required to play again...
Not sure what is causing my hip pain. After work, I drove home, got out of the car and that is when I noticed my hips were bothering me especially the  right one. Tried taking a bath and taking aleve but neither one is helping.
My hip pain is hard to explain. I do not get it any other time except when Im lying on bed to sleep. To be honest there is no pain but my left hip and sometimes my right hip has a very uncomfortable feeling, it made me want to stretch my hips flat on the bed to make them crack,or lightly punch my hips, once crack only  temporaliy relief comes.
had back surgery in 4/09,started having hip 4/2011
My hip started hurting after starting a walking program.  It really hurts when I am sitting down and try to pick up my leg and try to cross it.  I am assuming this is all connected? Anyone else experienced this?
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches