Arthritis Community

What was the cause of your hip pain?

Pain may arise from structures that are within the hip joint or from structures surrounding the hip.   The hip joint is a potential space. This means that normally there is a minimal amount of fluid inside the joint to allow the femoral head to glide in the socket of the acetabulum. Any illness or injury that causes inflammation will cause this space to fill with fluid or blood, stretching the hip capsule lining and resulting in pain.  Articular cartilage lines the femoral head and the acetabulum, allowing the bones to move within the joint with less friction. Also, the socket area of the acetabulum is covered with tough cartilage called the labrum. Just like any other joint cartilage, these areas can wear away or tear and become the source of pain. There are thick bands of tissue that surround the hip joint, forming a capsule. These help maintain the hip joint stability, especially with movement, keeping the femoral head firmly in the acetabulum.  Movement at the hip joint is possible because of the muscles and tendons that surround the hip and that attach across the hip joint, allowing the leg to move in different directions. Aside from controlling movement, these muscles also act together to maintain joint stability. There are large bursas (fluid-filled sacs) that surround areas of the hip and allow the muscles and tendons to glide more easily over bony prominences. Any of these structures can become inflamed.  Pain can be referred from other structures outside the hip joint, meaning that while the hip hurts, the problem may potentially originate elsewhere. Inflammation of the sciatic nerve as it arises from the spinal cord in the back can cause hip pain, especially if the L1 or L2 nerve roots are involved. Other types of nerve inflammation may manifest as hip pain, including pain arising in the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve of the thigh, which is often inflamed in pregnancy. Pain from an inguinal or femoral hernia, or a sports hernia (athletic pubalgia) may also cause pain that is felt in the hip.   Hip pain is a nonspecific complaint that requires the health care professional to find the underlying cause from the many potential injuries or illnesses. The approach to the diagnosis of hip pain requires an open mind because the source of trauma or the cause of illness may not be readily apparent.Picture of the Anatomy of the Hip
abducttor inner thigh injury due to overweight and sudden movement.
The cause of my hip pain is unknown. I've had it for nearly 3 years, and am now on disability. I've had 2 scopes to correct some issues, including a labral tear that didn't show on any tests, scans, films of any kind. Then had it reattached during the second scope, because it detached completely. I've been diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia, and hip impingement in both hips; however it's my right that is giving me the pain. I've had 15 steroid injections, and was told that they are probably the cause of the labral detachment. I was told yesterday that my hip is deteriorating, and within a year I won't be able to walk. I still have no diagnosis or treatment, and my only option is a total replacement; however, because of my age, there isn't a surgeon that will touch me for another 10 years. I've had every test imaginable, and they all come back normal...I hope there isn't anyone else out there that has had or will ever have this senario, but if there is, can you give me some ideas of where to turn?
snapping tendens in hip is there a cure?
I don't know what is causing my hip pain but the info on here was very helpful. I have been to an orthopedist ad have had x-rays and bone scan and still doctor says he finds nothing wrong but I am still in more pain than giving birth, he says take Advil, I have taken every over the counter drug there is.
I experience left hip pain at night the pain slowly trickles down my leg, however it remains worse in my hip. (I HAVE to get off my side for relief). The pain most frequently occurs after I lay on my left side. Some nights it barely exists and other nights it is severe. I went to a vascular surgeon, he said it "could" be vascular, but not necessarily....Any thoughts?
I'VE BEEN HAVING HIP AND KNEE PAIN
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches