debilitating hip pain

I have been getting a pain in my left hip for over a month now.  I'm a 44 yr old female and  have arthritits in my spine and have for many years now.  This new symptom came on about a month or so ago.  I get it in my left hip and its usually brought on by bending over either by sitting or standind.  It's worse if I'm standing.  The other day I reached down to the ground to pick up something outside and the pain hit me.  It was in my left hip socket (or so seemed) and radiated down my leg a bit and into my butt and lower back.  It hurt so bad I almost fell to the ground.  I was able to hobble into the house.  I haven't been to the Dr. yet but wanted to find out what you thought.  I also have trouble with my spine if I do ANYTHING that takes some effort.  As soon as I sit down, I feel a throbbing down my spine accompanied with an electrical pulse.  It starts at the bottom and works it's way upwards at the same rate as my heart.  Thanks, zoofoo2
Where exactly is the pain located? If the source of the pain seems to be coming from the groin area, that's your actual hip joint. Anywhere else - front, side, back - is not the hip joint but possibly muscle and tendon, or nerves associated with your back. The source could very well be your back - when you describe the pain in your butt, that's probably the sciatic nerve. It's not unusual for back problems to eventually cause pain elsewhere in your body, as the rest of your body tenses and adjust itself in unhealthy ways to deal with the pain. Tense muscles become inflamed and swollen, pressing on sensitive nerves.

At any rate, any new symptoms should be addressed with your doctor.
I went to the Dr the other day and he said it's Trochanteric Bursitis.  He gave me a paper on it and it seems to be that however, I'm having some doubts.  The pain doesn't necessarily go down to my knee but it wrather goes around to my back right above my bottom.  He also said that this kind of pain and injury usually shows up as back pain first.  You can have back pain (lower back) for months and even years before you finally get it in the bursa.  He also said that most people who get it, walk with a "waddle" more than a regular walk where you are putting one foot in front of the other, for the most part.  Now, I used to weigh almost 300 lbs for many years and as we all know, a lot of people who are morbidly obese, have a waddle to their walk.  I'm not sure if I did because I was never told I did or never saw myself walk.  So I went out into the parking lot after my appt and walked a line to see how I did.  Oh, I've also lost 114 lbs so I don't know if that made a difference.  So, I walked the line and from what I could tell, I wasn't walking with my feet apart like he said.  I looked to walk mostly normal.  So, if this all happened to me because I was so overweight and waddled, that ***** however, I just asked my husband and he said I never waddled when I was bigger so, what the heck!  Now, if anyone has this kind of problem, or know of anyone who talks about it, please let me know.  I'm going in for an X-Ray next week and I'll put money on the fact that this ISN'T what I have.  I don't know, I guess I just know my body pretty well and this just didn't "fit" the right way with me.  Thanks!
Exactly...you know your own body best so if your instinct is telling you the doc is full of bs, keep looking for the right answer. Hope it turns out well!

You are reading content posted in the Arthritis Community

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches