Arthritis Community

early stage osteoarthritis

a year ago I visited my GP with left hip and upper thigh pain. He sent me for an X-Ray which showed early arthritis changes. He sent for a course of Physiotherapy which I attended for 6months. In the end I stopped going because after the initial mild improvement in pain there was no further improvement.
I am taking 1500mg Glucosamine Sulphate + 1200mg Marine Chondroitin + 1000mg Omega 3 fish oil daily. Despite this the symptoms have now spread to my right hip, right shoulder and slight symptoms in my right knee. I get some relief from taking 400mg of Ibuprofen at night so I can sleep.
Is there anything else I can do to try to halt the progression of the disease? Or are there any better meds I can take.
I am 54yrs old,female and not over weight and physically active.
Did your doctor prescribe the ibuprofen?  Have you talked to your doctor since the symptoms spread and worsened?  Your doctor may be able to prescribe a stronger dose, a different NSAID, or give you injections to help with the pain.  
OA is a degenerative disease and, at this time, there is nothing to stop it from advancing.  The best thing you can do is maintain a proper weight and exercise but don't over use damaged joints.
I totally sympathize with you, I'm 50 and have basically the same symptoms.  After 3 years of trial and error which included too much ibuprofen which messed up my gut I have had amazing results with some natural therapy.

I discovered that the arthritis is caused by a tiny one cell organism called mycoplasma arthritides by having a live cell blood analysis.  The phd who I went to told me to take Olive Leaf Extract and triple the usual dose of glucosamine.  After about 6 weeks of this I felt a huge difference and it made me very hopeful.  Google 'arthritis help live blood analysis' and maybe you can find out more, or send me a message if you want more info.

Having said all that I'm on this forum today because I'm taking 2 antibiotics for a bacterial tummy bug and am afraid they are affecting my hips - it ***** to have that pain again just when I was feeling better.  Hopefully this is just temp. and I'll be back to recovery asap.

Good luck - I've been where you are and I know there is hope.
Thanks for your reply. I have not heard of Olive Leaf Extract before so I am very interested in your improvement. I had a quick search on line for Olive Leaf products and there seems quite a variety to choose from. Can I ask what you take and what dosage? Also you said you were advised to triple your usual dose of Glucosamine, so what do you take now? I am currently taking 1500mg of Glucosamine Sulphate and it doesn't seem to be holding back the progression of my arthritis to other joints.

I hope you get rid of your tummy infection and get back to normal soon.
Regards
There is evidence that olive oil can help reduce inflammation much like cherries are purported to do.  There are many supplements on the market that claim to help but are untested by the FDA.  Before you add any supplement or herbal remedy to your regime, please talk to your doctor.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches