Arthritis Forum

lupus aps arthritus or other

Hi. I have been having an intermittent problem with memory and thinking. I am looking into a neurologicall condition also. This is an intermittent problem but has been with me now for over 6 mo and this week its pretty severe. I went to the emergency room yesterday and my ck muscle enzyme level was in the 400-500, also the dr noticed that when i turn my head you can hear crackling, this is the main reason i am writing on this site. the crackling is in my head not neck. the dr, had mentioned arthritus. it is causing me some stress and have had some chest pain. but heart looks ok. can the arthritus or whatever it is on my head cause cognitive problems, due to causing levels of one chemical or another to go out of whack. it is difficult for me to write this. i had read a little abou aps and lupus also. there is a feeling of slight tightness on my head. and my head gets itchy when i am having this problem. it seems to more likely get triggered under stress. i have been checked out for a number of things. can yoiu have arthritus or rheum problems on/in your head and can tehy somehow lead to cognitive problems via neurology/chemical/etc.... thank you.
There can be many conditions that can affect the memory.  Things like lupus are certainly possible, but difficult to say without examination.

An elevation of CK by itself is non-specific.  It can be indicative of muscle damage anywhere in the body, as well as possible heart damage (which certainly would have been considered in the emergency room).  Various medications, like cholesterol medications, can also lead to an elevation in the CK.  

If there is consideration of a rheumatological cause, you can consider an ANA test.  Further followup would be dependent on the results.  

I would consider a referral to a neurologist.  Testing the metabolic panel, blood count, thyroid, vitamin b-12 level as well as brain imaging studies (i.e. an MRI) should all be considered as part of the workup.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches