Arthritis Community

rheumatoid factor vs ichthyosis?

I have been experiencing joint pain in my ankles for about a year but passed it off as the after-effects of spending 10 years as a dance skater in my youth. It got very bad 2 weeks ago and between the time I made the appointment with my primary doc and the time I saw her, my wrists , knees, hips, and shoulders joined the party.

My doctor didn't think it was anything too major, but did a rheumatoid factor 'just to be on the safe side'. It came back with a result of 174. I just finished a week of prednisone and painkillers (yuck), and am also no on thyroid medication. I have an appointment with a Rheumatologist in 2 weeks.

Having said all that, I'm wondering if the fact that I have Ichthyosis vulgaris has anything to do with a high rheumatoid factor or if I really might have more than one autoimmume disorder at once. (seems a little unfair to me).

I have done a fair amount of research on Ichthyosis but haven't found anything really relating to joint disorders or other autoimmune disorders.  Is there a chance that this is just a side effect of the ichthyosis?
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches