Arthritis Community

treatments for Osteoarthritis

What are the avenues that those of you who have this condition have gone through?  I have it at a relatively young age, and was prescribed celebrex, which I hate the headaches from  and stomach pain (and its not all that effective) which irritates my stomach ulcer. All my doc said was to up the protonix. Im in PT to help as well but if anyone would like to share a short summary of their story from pre-diag symptoms through successful treatment,  I would really like to see how the different docs have handled your speciific case.
The most effective thing Ive done on my own was recently bought an herbal cream that has capsicum in it whihc has done more than any of the other pharma routes. Its still kinda unbearable but Ive at least noticed it being somewhat alleviated.
Im new here so anything, short and sweet or detailed, I would love to hear about.

thanks.
I don't have a success story, but celebrex, if I remember correctly what I heard, can be even nastier on the stomach than ibuprofen and I don't know why your doctor would have you taking it with a known stomach ulcer.  I think you need to find someone who cares more about you for a doctor.  I have taken ibuprofen for weeks at a time in the past for the osteoarthritis in my jaws.  I try to take it sparingly for it now.  But I get frequent heartburn and was recently put on cytotec generic, which is supposed to help with stomach lining.

I have tried acupuncture, which I thought helped some, herbal heat pack, ice, valium, ibuprofen and wear a flat-planed splint for my jaw osteoarthritis.  I recently got an MRI after years of suffering and learned about disc displacement, one of them displaced all the time and it's torn.  Pool exercise might help you some if they are joints that go underwater.  And if you have knee arthritis, I saw on tv where I scientific study was done proving acupuncture can be a help.
Thanks for such a quick answer. How do you feel on a day to day basis? How long have you known about the arthritis?
Well, it is a very dehabilitating thing to have arthritis in one's jaws.  I can feel really down about it sometimes.  It limits my talking, singing, chewing, yawning and I was told I would need to be on a soft diet the rest of my life.  I can start to feel sore very quickly when singing at church and talking to a friend on the phone usually winds up making me very sore.   I was diagnoses in late 2004 when I was a little younger than you are now with the arthritis in my jaws and got the MRI this year so I could find out about the discs.  I likely have arthritis other places, but not diagnosed.

When were you diagnoses and which joints are affected?
I just found this forum, though I've been a member of the chronic pain forum for months now.  I developed osteoarthritis young.  I can remember back to my twenties and feeling it on and off, though it was mild.  My mom was debilitated by it and on my dad's side, I had two aunts crippled by it.

I'm 48 now and have it in my hands, hips, knee, back and ankle.  The worst is my hand.  I won't go into too much detail as it's a very long story but I think I have the details in my profile.

Six years ago my hands started getting bad.  I did cortisone shots, medication and ended up doing a joint replacement in my left hand (at the thumb joint), which failed.  Nine surgeries have followed along with getting RSD, probably from so many surgeries.  I've been in PT, OT and now pain management.  I also get different procedures done and am on a ton of pain medication.  I can no longer work and my quality of life has really changed. I'm still processing it and still trying to learn new ways to do things.  You use your hands for everything; so it's been had for me to adapt.  I also use a special compounding cream and lidoderm patches. My medication list is long and the dosages are high.

@SurgiMenopause, I can't imagine having it in my jaw!  I imagine, like me, movement/motion makes it worse but if you don't move it at all, it would just stiffen up.

Arthritis is really terribly debilitating.  My surgeon, when I first went to him and he took x-rays of my hands, told me he never saw anything as bad in someone my age.  My joint had basically just crumbled to nothing.

My last major surgery was a fusion in the hope that would take away the bulk of the pain.  It didn't.  It's likely that I'll have chronic pain my whole life and will be in some kind of pain management program my whole life.  What makes me the saddest is my younger kids don't have the mother my older kids did.
Yeah,  it probably does stiffen some.  I was encouraged to try to talk normally rather than the ventriloquist type thing I was doing when I was initially diagnosed.  I'm one who flaps her gums a lot though, and nowadays I do go into the ventriloquist type thing occasionally, when I am extremely sore.

It is tough dealing with chronic pain.  Are you taking Naturemade brand of Sam-E and flaxseed oil capsules or enteric coated fish oil capsules?  Are you exercising your hands in hot water to help with the keeping limber?  Yes, it is sad you are not as active for your younger kids, but sore joints can not prevent you from giving them a gift of greater value- your love. :0)
I was told to keep moving, see a physiotherapist, take glucosamine.  Exercises shown to me by physiotherapist help a lot.  TENS machine can help too.  I hate strong pain killers, and find paracetamol (only in UK) help with the pain.  I have refused injections.  

I enjoy aqua aerobics as no strain in water.  It helps.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches