Ask a Nurse Forum

Lump/lymph node behind ear

I went to the doctors literally three years ago about a lump in my neck, it was a swollen lymph node and it went down but it's still palpable to this day although it is tiny. Along with this I also went because of a lump right behind my left year, around the bone, its been there for many years and I can push it and it gets flatter, I think it's some kind of lipoma, it doesn't hurt and neither of them have grown in these years, yet I still find myself worrying about things like indolent lymphoma and slow growing lymphoma. Whenever I go to the doctors they never seem worried about these two lumps. I'm seventeen and quite thin if that helps w anything. I guess I should stop worrying, but I find it hard I guess as I don't really do much so I sit around and stay up super late so I'm normally pretty tried, which also makes me worry that it's the dreaded C. Also When I was a baby I had really bad ezcema until I was around five years old. I've had a lump behind my ear for as long as I can remember, could this of swelled up when I was a child and never gone down? The doctors just tell me not to worry but they've never done any tests on it. I also have a few lumps on my head at the back near the hairline.
Thanks for using the forum.

We all have lumps and bumps all over our body. A lymph node that is palpable is not unusual, especially in a thin person. If there is no pain at the site, if the size has not increased then I would take your doctor's word that there is nothing to worry about. If however, you notice an increase in size, change in shape, or pain at the site I would press the issue with your doctor. Additionally, if this is something that is keeping you up a night with worry, mention that to your doctor. There may be some noninvasive testing they can recommend to ease your mind.

Cathy
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.