Ask a Nurse Forum

Lump sensation in throat

I am a 24 year old female who is pretty healthy. For about a week now I have had a lump in the throat sensation. I definitely suffer from anxiety. I have never been diagnosed but I know I have it. This 'lump sensation' has gone from moving around and feeling big to feeling reasonably small and only on one side. I recently had a cold with coughing, running nose, coughing up phelgm. I've noticed the past couple days I'll have a slight crackle in my right ear, and it kind of effects the lump. My worry (surprise!) is that it is not anxiety. Part of my anxiety is a fear of health problems and of going to the doctor. Any suggestions as to what it could be, or maybe it is still anxiety?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

It sounds like you still have some residual congestion from your cold and the lump could be a swollen gland.  Since it seems to have improved, then I would suggest that you wait and see if it resolves.  You could try a decongestant (if you can take them) and it may help clear up some of your symptoms.  If you feel that it gets worse of that it persists more than a few more days, then you may want to see your regular doctor to get checked out.  Good luck.

Bridget
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.