Ask a Nurse Forum

Painless lump near groin area

yesterday one of my friends discovered a hard painless lump located in her right side of groin area. she told me that a week ago she was experiencing a pain in her right leg but there was no lump present. could this pain be related to the lump that's there now? what could this lump be?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Your friend should have the lump checked out by her doctor.  The pain may be related, but I cannot be sure.  This could be a swollen gland, a sebaceous cyst, a hernia, or even a muscle pull among other things and should be evaluated.   Good luck.

Bridget
thanks for your response. what causes a swollen gland or sebaceous cyst?
A swollen gland can occur when you have an infection or virus (even something like a very mild cold).  A sebaceous cyst is basically a clogged hair folicle.

Bridget
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.