Ask a Nurse Forum

Period while breastfeeding

I usually have regular cycles. I had a baby almost 4 months ago and Im currently breastfeeding. Ever since I gave birth, I have not had a period. Is this normal? Should I see my dr? I also want to try for another baby, is it ok to be breastfeeding while pregnant?
Thank you!
HI and thanks for using the forum.  

It is totally normal to have not had a period yet, especially since you are breatsfeeding.  (I am breastfeeding my twins who just turned one and I didn't get a period until they were 11 mos. old)  Many women don't get their period back until they stop breastfeeding (or at least start weaning).  It is usually OK to continue to breastfeed if you are pregnant as long as you are not having pre-term labor/contractions (they sometimes suggest weaning if you are having this).  It may be difficult to get pregnant while breastfeeding since some women don't ovulate regularly (or at all) while breastfeeding (due to hormones).  If you are ready to start trying to get pregnant again, you should discuss this with you OB/GYN.  Also, sometimes pregnancy can change your milk supply and babies sometimes lose interest in nursing when their mommies are pregnant.  Good luck with the new baby- they are a lot of work but so worth it!

Bridget
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.