Ask a Nurse Forum

What is this??

Hi am 17, sexualy active and on the pill (but i missed one). about 12 days ago I finished my period however i have been bleeding its only a little amount it started brown but now it has become pinker. this is really unusal for me has i have regular periods and nothing like this has happened before. i have done some reasearch about implantation bleeding and irregular periods but i am unsure what it is and what to do any advice please.
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

You said that you missed a pill, but did you "double up" the next day or take the missed pill when you remembered?  The pill is an effective form of birth control when it is taken as directed (the same time every day).  So it is possible, if you are sexually active and did not use another form of birth control, that you could be pregnant.  Also possible is that you are having breakthrough bleeding from missing your pill.   If you are worried that you are pregnant, you can take a home pregnancy test if you miss your next period (there are some tests that are accurate up to 5 days before your missed period).  Also, remember there is emergency contraception available (you need to take it within 72 hours of the sexual encounter I believe) for situations in which you forget your pill or other contraception fails (such as a condom breaking).  Good luck.

Bridget
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.